Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-27-2012, 12:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5'8

Default Sick as a dog and my routine.

So I woke up yesterday with a sore throat, nothing major but icky none-the-less. It progressed through the night and I was miserable by 10pm. I'll admit to over-eating because I thought if I get enough energy in me and then sleep I would be able to get away with one day of sickness. No such luck: today I have a full-bore mucousy, stuffed nose, sore through, achy muscles, just-ain't-doing-right flu. There's a rash of strep throat spreading around so I'm just praying it's not that.

Here are my questions:

1) I ate over my limit but still under maintenance yesterday, but I don't feel right not watching my food even while sick, it just adds to my misery. Plus today I'm not at all hungry. Is there any dangerous reason why I couldn't maintain my diet while sick?

2) should I stop exercising?

3) I'm up today but I know that is from yesterday's salty foods, but is it possible to retain water while ill?
Katbot24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:34 PM   #2  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

I think the most important thing right now is to look after yourself and your health. There's certainly nothing wrong with eating for maintenance now that you're sick or at any other time. The weight is unfortunately not going anywhere overnight and you can restart whenever you feel better. If you feel up to maintaining your diet, you can do that as well. Just listen to your body.

Whether or not to exercise is up to you. I had my own brush with flu a month ago and it turned into a chest infection where I wasn't able to exercise for a couple of weeks because deep breathing triggered coughing fits. If you feel up to it, you can do a little light exercise but don't sweat it if you can't. The better care you take of yourself, the faster you'll kick this cold/flu and be back at your best.

By the way, I think it's definitely possible to retain fluids when you're sick or at any other time even just by living. Make sure you get your fluids in. I've found it really helps with kicking the flu.

Last edited by toastedsmoke; 10-27-2012 at 01:35 PM.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:06 PM   #3  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

At this point, exercise would be counterproductive. Your resources need to go toward rest and not muscle repair. A walk around the block might do you good, but nothing heavy.

And yes, you will retain water (and possibly lots of it) while sick. Eat as close to plan as you can and weigh a day or three after most of your symptoms have abated. You should get an accurate picture of your weight then, but probably not before.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:35 PM   #4  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

I've heard the rule of thumb is if your symptoms are above the chest, it's OK to exercise if you feel up to it, but if it's below the chest, skip it.

I think your body needs more calories to fight infection. Aiming for maintenance calories seems reasonable to me.

Feel better soon!
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:19 AM   #5  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddy View Post
I've heard the rule of thumb is if your symptoms are above the chest, it's OK to exercise if you feel up to it, but if it's below the chest, skip it.

I think your body needs more calories to fight infection. Aiming for maintenance calories seems reasonable to me.

Feel better soon!
I have heard something along these lines as well.... basically if your cold was "above the neck" that maybe a little exercise would be OK... but if your cold was below the neck with chest symptoms that you should skip it....

But if I'm "sick as a dog" I just stay in bed...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #6  

Yes, you can retain water even while sick.
No, you should not exercise if you have a sore throat and/or fever. Rest and save your energy- just a walk if you must do something.

Eat at maintenance or below if you can.

Feel better soon!
kelleyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:27 PM   #7  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Take care of yourself and get well. A few days off plan while sick is not the end of the world. You can always pick up when you feel better.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote