State Fair all day. Bringing my own food. Ideas?

• This Friday is our annual family get together at the state fair. It also happens to be Foodie Fridays where everything is 2.00....

I don't trust myself to try to search out healthy options while we are there. However, I do have a decent sized insulated cooler bag and I plan on bringing my own food for me and Landon (my son).

I know the basics fruit, cheese, whole grain crackers, cut up veggies.

I was also thinking about maybe some snow peas and hummus.

We are usually there for about 8 to 10 hours so I wanna make sure that I have plenty of options. In fact I would rather be overpacked with good choices versus the deep fried goodness that will be surrounding me.
  • sounds good.
    I think you are on the right track!
    Good Luck at the family together!!!
  • Do they sell VitaCakes/VitaTops in your area? They're a low-calorie, high fiber option that would feel like a treat and would be so much better for you than, say, a deep-fried twinkie.

I would bring sugar snap peas (I know tastes differ but I enjoy them more than snow peas). I love how crunchy they are, and they're great plain or with something healthy to dip them in, like greek yogurt.

Maybe make some sandwiches on whole grain? I like to make mine with altering layers of thinly-sliced chicken lunch meat and baby spinach leaves, and maybe a slice of cheddar or mozzarella with mustard. Or you can make some yummy chicken salad made with greek yogurt for the dressing, and add celery, sliced grapes, etc. Would be great for a sandwich or with spinach in a whole grain wrap. Cucumber and cream cheese sandwiches are yummy too, and with the right cheese doesn't have to be laden with excess calories.

If you want a crunchy snack maybe you could pop some popcorn, season it yourself, and staple it in a paper bag? That would feel like a treat worthy of a state fair.

I'm a sucker for candied and caramel apples, so I'd probably bring sliced apples with natural peanut butter to dip them in. Maybe even a small amount of sugar-free chocolate chips mixed in with the peanut butter to make it feel more indulgent, or a little honey.

Do you like pickles? I see them on sticks at every fair, and bringing them yourself will ensure you know what you're getting, and that it won't be deep fried.

Whatever snacks you decide to bring, it's probably a good idea to portion them out in zip-loc baggies. You can grab something whenever and won't have to worry about overdoing it on any one item.

Good luck and have fun!
  • Popcorn sounds like a great, festive idea!
    I like to get a grilled corn (hold the butter) and steamed clams when I'm at the fair.
  • Another idea would be to buy something healthy but a little bit indulgent for your reward when you get home!
    Like single serving low calorie/low sugar frozen yogurt, etc. I find that helps me be good during the day when I have something to look forward to later on :-)
  • Pickles and smoked turkey legs are excellent fair food that doesn't have a boatload of sugar and hydrogenated fats. Sugar free Hawaiian ice (snow cones) is also a good choice if you tolerate Splenda well.
  • Quote: Pickles and smoked turkey legs are excellent fair food that doesn't have a boatload of sugar and hydrogenated fats. Sugar free Hawaiian ice (snow cones) is also a good choice if you tolerate Splenda well.
    I actually have to disagree on the smoked turkey legs being a good choice... the average state fair portion contains roughly 1100-1200 calories and 55g fat!
  • Where I'm from, most of the State Fair food is served on a stick! (Corn dogs, fried cheese, candy apples -- the list goes on and on). So, whatever snack you bring, just put it on a stick! Take an apple -- on stick! Have a mozzarella cheese stick --- on a stick! You get the idea!
  • When stuff like this comes up, I usually make a chicken wrap with leftover veggies. I did it for Sunday when I had the breast cancer walk with my students...I ate during the walk! Hahaha. didn't want to have to scrounge around after the walk and likely end up at a fast food joint.

You've got the right idea—bringing your own food removes temptation and makes it totally easy.
  • Quote: I actually have to disagree on the smoked turkey legs being a good choice... the average state fair portion contains roughly 1100-1200 calories and 55g fat!
    That's perfect for me, or anyone else on a high fat, mod protein, low carb, whole foods diet. Plus, I've never seen anyone aside from a super hungry grown man who could finish one on their own. Any smoked turkey leg under a pound, bone in and skin on, tends to be closer to 500 calories by my calculations.

But again, it depends on the plan. For ketogenic folks like myself it is a little high in protein but a perfect food for a rare occasion. But I also function the best with my dietary fat at about 60-65% of my daily calories
  • You have lots of good ideas. I HATE carrying anything so I don't know if I could handle toting a cooler around all day. However, I am not usually attracted to fried foods so that isn't an issue for me. At our State Fair I know the building where you can get healthy real food, not some batter dipped deep fried gawd knows what on a stick. I go for fresh frit on a stick, shrimp cocktail, one place even has amazing custom made salads. I am not a big fan of salad dressing so that isn't a deal breaker and with enough veggies and some protien I skip the dressing.

Another trick I do use at the State Fair is sharing. I know I said I don't ike most fried foods, but I do love cheese curds. Usually i will kick in a buck towards an order of curds...then I will have one. I will enjoy it and have it out of my system.
  • You could bring hard boiled eggs or make deviled eggs if you like them.

Joefla70, an image of me eating a head of lettuce on a stick popped into my head when I read your post. LOL. It would certainly be a conversation starter.