Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-22-2012, 01:11 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 350/296/125

Height: 177cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancemomma View Post
It depends on how important movie popcorn is to you. To me it's very important -- going to a movie would be a far less satisfying experience without it. So I decided it was one of the things I was NOT willing to give up, calories and salt be damned. When I was in weight loss mode I would have the popcorn instead of supper. It was still very worth it to me. Now that I'm in maintenance I may have a small dinnertime snack beforehand. I usually get a large size and eat the whole thing.

F.

I'm with you on this one! I do the same thing. I love popcorn, especially movie theatre popcorn (sans butter) so there is no way I can say no to it. I just skip my dinner and eat the popcorn instead. 1 day of a less than super healthy choice is not going to destroy the diet!
Skellig19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:27 PM   #17  

Height: 5'10

movie theater snacks are a no-no! Avoid those things like the plague girl! I only drink a bottle of water or a diet coke whenever I am in a similar situation
brethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:48 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 191/149/135

Height: 5'8

I like to sneak in my own--I bring a bag of Skinny Pop popcorn. It is a pretty big bag, it's tasty, and the whole thing is 100 calories.
Mer du Japon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:00 PM   #19  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

It's not always the case, but we usually go out to dinner before a movie, and with any luck I won't want any snacks once I'm there. But the last time we'd had a light and early lunch, and we both ordered a hot dog once we got to the theater. That was probably a lot better than any popcorn or candy, calorie-wise. Er, hopefully at least. But visiting the theater is only an occasional thing anyway.

I never drink regular soda anymore and don't drink diet fountain since I can't read the ingredients (I have a bad reaction to aspartame so I'm very selective about what I do drink). So all soda is out for me unless I smuggle some in and I'm used to that being the norm no matter where I go. Sometimes I'll opt for a bottled water but it's sooo pricey for what you get and hardly seems worth it. Sometimes I'll go for an iced tea but the priceyness factor jumps in there too.

Then again, that goes for all movie snacks regardless, it's just so expensive! I don't eat regular candy anymore, but I've smuggled in small amounts of the sugar-free variety. I do love the smell of popcorn and will occasionally get a small to share with my husband, but I always remember that it's not a huge deal to skip out since I can always make a fresh batch with my air popper once I'm home.

I used to absolutely have to have snacks when going to the movies: large popcorn, a big box of Junior Mints, a large regular soda, the works. Not so much now.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #20  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Clearly different things work for different folks, but I see movie theater snacking as a bad habit that's not very conducive to long-term weight loss. Treats are great once in awhile, but I think the danger for a lot of people is that going to a movie becomes strongly associated with less-than-ideal food behaviors. Sort of like mindless snacking in front of the TV at night - it's the linkage of the two behaviors that I don't think leads to a good place.

So for me, no movie snacks. If my husband occasionally insists on getting himself some popcorn, I'll steal a few bites -- but I think it's important not to let my brain come to expect that movie = unhealthy food. Sort of like how they tell people with sleep problems to practice "good sleep hygiene" by severely limiting what activities take place in their bed, for me "good food choice hygiene" means trying to keep my food choices largely separate from activity choices.
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 213/188/159

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatgiraffe View Post
Bring frozen grapes. They are refreshing and taste like candy! They take longer to eat too!
Frozen grapes - that's an idea I've never thought about. Thanks.

Concession-stand food is so expensive and fattening, I'm going to invariably smuggle something in. I either bring in something I'm allowed to eat, like Wheat Thins that's low-fat, or I keep my calories low for the entire day until movie-time, when I can treat myself to something like Jordan Almonds (yum). Come to think of it, considering how many calories Jordan Almonds would cost me, I could bring in a pretty big bag of Wheat Thins *rubs chin thoughtfully*.

I almost never go to the movies, so I allow myself to go over my allotted calorie limit on special occasions - but even then not by much.

Last edited by tricon7; 10-23-2012 at 02:17 PM.
tricon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #22  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

Raisinets aren't horrible if you can control yourself. I rarely go to the movies so I usually indulge and get a small popcorn while I'm there if I don't eat before hand. Most of the time I eat before hand so I don't have to worry about it.
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:06 PM   #23  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elladorine View Post

Then again, that goes for all movie snacks regardless, it's just so expensive!
Word. My mom taught me to smuggle in stuff years ago because of the outrageous prices. Sometimes we pop our own popcorn and bring it in.

Still, I love eating some popchips or something or portioning out my own snacks because I can mindlessly eat (thus getting part of the american movie experience ) but know exactly how much I've eaten.

My fiance and I sometimes smuggle in meals (wraps, sandwiches, etc.) because we like to head to the movies around dinnertime and go to an earlier show (before the teens get there)

Last edited by sontaikle; 10-23-2012 at 06:07 PM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote