Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 08:54 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/124

Height: 5'2

The new poster only asked a question! There is no reason for anyone to be rude and if the poster felt people were too critical of what he or she was asking. He or she has a right to feel anyway they want!

Spelling and using the right punctuation and grammar is; so off the topic! While you may put a lot into it; the next person may not! Respect is always the key and I hope the newbie stays with us.

I myself is still a newbie and I know personally; I would not want anyone criticizing me about a question. While this is a place where women and men want to lose weight; but last I check it is also for support! Support does not include "criticizing". It consist of advice or personally experience.

Last edited by Fatness; 10-20-2012 at 12:49 AM.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:37 PM   #17  

S/C/G: size24W/size12/size10

Height: 5'5"

Wooooow. I actually had no problem reading the OP's post. When people text, they use short language like that all the time. Maybe she was texting? I also didn't realize there was any grammatical criteria for getting a post answered respectfully. How is she disrespecting anyone by choosing to word her post the way she chooses? Come off the high horses people.

OP, if you are still around, I don't add back any calories when I exercise...but I'd say if you are feeling quite hungry on burn days, you could eat a bit more so long as you are still creating a calorie deficit.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:26 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 247/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4

Depends on how much I burn, if I burn over 450ish I'll eat them back
Old 10-19-2012, 10:41 PM   #19  

OP, if you're still around, no I do not eat back my calories. Also, this place is a friendly one! I got a lot of support from here and inspiration; I understood you completely even without the ?
Don't let bullies that had a bad day ruin your experience here.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:32 PM   #20  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Is your shift key broken and if so how do you make a ? without it?
this made me laugh out loud. lets all get a sense of humor people, and try not to overreact.

Last edited by juliastl27; 10-19-2012 at 11:32 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:34 PM   #21  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayrick View Post
Wow. Aren't you a lovely bunch. Feeling impressed with ourselves today? Nine post newbie asking a question, earnestly, about something basic. Your response? Mockery. She could have been using a mobile device, or maybe she is just lacking basic knowledge. Either way someone left this site feeling worse about themselves thanks to you jerks.

Well done.
jeeeeeeeeeez. put the breaks on, friend. i dont think you need to be calling people jerks. at the VERY worst you could make it, she got a snarky comment. as most of us saw it, he made a clever joke. not a huge deal. im sorry if she doesnt come back any more, but some of us like to joke around occasionally.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:36 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 231/166/140

Height: 5 ft 8

OK last comment because fighting on the internet is just dumb.

Follow your hearts people, it’s your karma. All I know is that I have long considering this a safe space. Despite annoying posts and all sorts of language butchery, fundamentally it comes down to this: 3FC is a website devoted to supporting people that have taken the initiative to try and improve their lives. I believe that having the courage to take that step, in and of itself, should command a certain amount of respect. I am a huge fan of snark and cynicism, but it has a place, and it’s not 3FC. WannaB2cute had a basic question; elementary and her manner of conveyance poor. As a teacher I will say that the ‘textification’ of the English language is a broader societal and generational problem. Is it annoying? Yes. Is it justification for disrespect and cynicism? No. Poor people with broken keyboards get fat, uneducated people get fat, young and unknowledgeable people also get fat, it doesn't mean their inquiries should be met with cynicism and derision.

JohnP: If you feel that you have completed your journey and cannot impart your wisdom and experience in a constructive and positive manner perhaps it is time for you to move on to a different forum. Alternatively, just abstain from commenting if you feel the inquiry or manner of inquiry is beneath you.

At Arctic Mama: Ah, you’re that person. Got it. I don’t recall seeing the English prerequisites, could you point those out? Clearly you spend a lot of time on the internet, so let me clue you into a broader societal phenomenon. The English language is commonly butchered, slaughtered and maimed on the internet. It’s not a matter of disrespect. Moreover, a weight loss forum is not the place to flex your writing skills or knowledge of grammar and syntax. Get another degree, volunteer, write an article, or tutor. Don’t police an internet forum devoted to self-improvement full of people that are already dealing with a variety of issues.

For the record, I am absolutely uptight, cranky and pedantic. However, I am neither a Mean Girl nor a hypocrite. WannaB2Cute’s account won’t receive PM’s…it was the first thing I did.

Last edited by slayrick; 10-20-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #23  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

Just a thought here, but I think it's time for this thread to be closed before sh!t hits the fan.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:51 AM   #24  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
JohnP: If you feel that you have completed your journey and cannot impart your wisdom and experience in a constructive and positive manner perhaps it is time for you to move on to a different forum. Alternatively, just abstain from commenting if you feel the inquiry or manner of inquiry is beneath you.
Slayrick - If anyone does not like what I have to say they can block me and if they feel I am way out of line they can report me. I suggest you just block me if you need every post to have a paragraph about how I emphasize with every individual poster and their current headspace. I am here to help people get the truth. Other people here are good at virtual hugs, I am not. Information and data are what I'm good at.

I asked two questions which if answered would have clarified what the OP was trying to accomplish. However her ego was so fragile that my third question which was a very mild jest ran her away from the site, aparently forever. How could I possibly have anticipated that anyone would find a comment such as mine so offensive and cruel?
Old 10-20-2012, 11:51 AM   #25  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

I think sarcasm and snarkiness is probably best shared between friends and people who have an understanding of each other. With strangers, it comes across as mean and a little rude, whether or not it was intended as such. #justsaying

@OP, I hope you stick around or are still reading, 3FC is great and supportive. Regarding your question, I think the general concensus off-MFP is not to re-eat your workout calories because many of the calorie-consumption suggestions out there already take into account your activity level.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:58 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

I never add back calories.

IMO most people overestimate their calorie burn (some underestimate, but that's wishful thinking!). If you frequently over or underestimate your calorie burn, you might unfortunately do away with your deficit!

It seems a lot easier in the long-term, and more reliable, to just stick with a solid number (ie. the 1400) and ignore your calorie burn. Just make sure to put in the maximum effort you can!

The OP had a very valid question, I hope perhaps other comments can just be deleted rather than closing their thread.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:13 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 155.2/ 133.1 /110

Height: 5'2

I don't log my workout calories nor do I eat them back. Even though I use a heart-rate monitor I still don't trust it to be 100% accurate. And I'd rather have the roughly 1400-1800 calories a week I burn, according to my HRM to create a deficit rather than 1400 calories extra of food I don't need.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #28  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Quote:
OK last comment because fighting on the internet is just dumb.

Follow your hearts people, it’s your karma. All I know is that I have long considering this a safe space. Despite annoying posts and all sorts of language butchery, fundamentally it comes down to this: 3FC is a website devoted to supporting people that have taken the initiative to try and improve their lives. I believe that having the courage to take that step, in and of itself, should command a certain amount of respect. I am a huge fan of snark and cynicism, but it has a place, and it’s not 3FC. WannaB2cute had a basic question; elementary and her manner of conveyance poor. As a teacher I will say that the ‘textification’ of the English language is a broader societal and generational problem. Is it annoying? Yes. Is it justification for disrespect and cynicism? No. Poor people with broken keyboards get fat, uneducated people get fat, young and unknowledgeable people also get fat, it doesn't mean their inquiries should be met with cynicism and derision.

At Arctic Mama: Ah, you’re that person. Got it. I don’t recall seeing the English prerequisites, could you point those out? Clearly you spend a lot of time on the internet, so let me clue you into a broader societal phenomenon. The English language is commonly butchered, slaughtered and maimed on the internet. It’s not a matter of disrespect. Moreover, a weight loss forum is not the place to flex your writing skills or knowledge of grammar and syntax. Get another degree, volunteer, write an article, or tutor. Don’t police an internet forum devoted to self-improvement full of people that are already dealing with a variety of issues.

For the record, I am absolutely uptight, cranky and pedantic. However, I am neither a Mean Girl nor a hypocrite. WannaB2Cute’s account won’t receive PM’s…it was the first thing I did.
I'm not a 'mean girl' either, and any time spent reading on this forum would show that the other posters are the same. I'd also encourage you to troll my posts and find an example as to where I have ever corrected or commented on the grammar of another poster, outside of this thread (in which I was commenting on YOU and the current discussion, having already helped the OP on another thread). The only one policing anyone or anything here is you, and I see a lot of snark without a lot of helpful participation and contribution to back it up. If you're so concerned about helping people with a variety of issues on this forum, then perhaps actually posting might give you a leg to stand on.

And I stand by my original post - taking the time and effort to make posts as intelligible as possible, when the only form of communication IS the written word and no broader relationship (like in a texting format) or physical cues (like a quick email written to a friend who already knows you) are available, is both courteous and the clearest way to express oneself. Again, why should anyone take the time to write out a cogent, thoughtful response to a poster who can't even be bothered to complete a sentence? They're asking for our time and wisdom without contributing even a cursory amount of their own, and that DOES set the tone for the interaction.

And that's about enough for this silly thread.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:26 AM   #29  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

OP, if you are still here, I do eat back my burned calories. I aim for a NET of 1400. If I was to eat 1400 and then burn 200, my NET would only be 1200 which is not what I want as our bodies need a certain amount of calories to function properly. I'll never understand why people think they should eat 1300-1500 calories and then burn 500 while thinking its okay....
Closed Thread