Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-16-2012, 10:00 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 163/141/135

Height: 5'2

I switch it up to suit how I feel and how I'm losing. Straight fruits and veggies, low carb, intermittent fasting, water fasting, just calorie counting, etc... Basically, I do what I feel and it's been working for me.
DisappearingActs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:30 AM   #47  
Maintaining since 2013

S/C/G: Sz 20/Sz 8/Maintain

Height: 5'11

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth sebring View Post
Anyone know any alternative ways to workout without having/being able to afford a gym membership?
Hi there. I've lost a ton of weight this year without stepping into a gym. I do workout DVD's (mainly ExerciseTV clips I burned to DVD and the Walk Away The Pounds series). I also take a strength-training class twice per week at a local community center. Good luck.
SunnySide99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:35 AM   #48  

S/C/G: size24W/size12/size10

Height: 5'5"

Same as DisappearingActs. I have a lot of variety to my nutrition plan and exercise plan. I also do intermittent fasting and throw in water fasting every few months. The water fasting is more for overall health though. I've successfully lowered my blood pressure significantly from water fasting. Anyways....even with all the variation (low carb, regular carb, etc.), I calorie count everything. I don't do deprivation but I definitely practice moderation.
angieand2girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:42 AM   #49  

S/C/G: size24W/size12/size10

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Anyone know any alternative ways to workout without having/being able to afford a gym membership?
Definitely DVD's. The majority of my exercise is from home DVD's. I do Insanity, Yoga, Ab DVDs, and I'm about to start Chalean Extreme, which is weight training DVD's. I do go to the gym a few times out of the week because I practice my jogging on the treadmill (want to run a 5k), but you can do it all from home.
angieand2girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:57 AM   #50  

S/C/G: 329/254.6/180?

Height: 5'4"

Well I have a short and long answer to this question. The short one being Weight Watchers. I am also in therapy.
I have no loyalty to the program WW. I do like the use of points to keep track of eating. I also like the freedom to eat what you like as long as it is tracked and within your daily allowance. I also feel I need group support. Is it the best type of group support? Not really but it is helpful. I also think it depends on the leader and location. I would go to TOPS if it were more conveniently located for me. So for me a big part of the group is time offered and how much do I have to travel.
My goal is to come to a place where I do not have to journal food or measure it and so forth. My goal is to come to a place where I eat healthy whole foods most of the time with some small room for foods considered not whole. I also have a goal to be able to eat until satisfied and by satisfied I mean physical hunger or need not emotional hunger or need. This will take time. So in the mean time I will track and WI once per week. I find this whole thing is obsessive. To have a food addiction,, which I and my therapist agree I have, is not a good mix with obsessing about food which I can easily do. So I am trying to minimize this by WI only once per week, not stressing about it, and moving towards not counting. I could in theory do this on the simply filling WW plan. But as I am sure many of you agree you don't really need a plan for this. But I do need to come to an emotionally healthier place to do this.
I would prefer to have group support, in person, as much as I love the boards here in person is nice. I would like a weekly WI too. But I have found with some WW groups and TOPS groups too much negativity. People make snarky comments or get obsessed with one way of weight loss. Even at a TOPS one person would go on and on about Dukan. So I found a WW meeting where the leader is positive, but not over the top, and she is focused on being healthy. She does not push the WW products too much. I know they have to somewhat. I ignore it when pettiness comes out from members.
I will continue with therapy and will go to WW for now. I may switch to TOPS again later or even better find some friends with similar food issues to meet with once a week for support and a WI.
I enjoy reading how everyone approaches this issue differently.

Also for exercise I am going to the pool for deep/shallow water aqua fitness and laps. I believe being active is a way to health as well. I have very bad knees and for now this is working for me.

Last edited by pluckypear; 10-17-2012 at 11:01 AM.
pluckypear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:56 PM   #51  
CoachTeri

S/C/G: 140/128/128

Height: 5'6"

I use MyFitnessPal for keeping track of food/protein. Beachbody workouts for weight maintenance and building muscle. No meat as it makes me feel too full/heavy. Reduced carbs/fats. Real food. No processed food. No desserts, candy, sweets, "treats". No fast food. Eat most meals at home. Only drink water. REthinking food overall.
CoachTeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:05 PM   #52  
Angela

S/C/G: 155/138/126

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
I have been paying for the Gym membership for the last 15 years..
I haven't been there since 2006
anyhow,
I simply go out and walk
run
hike
bike sometimes
those things work for me!
masterptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:34 AM   #53  

S/C/G: 185/140/115

Height: 5'0 TALL

I haven't been exercising much for the last three weeks but when I did, I do 5 miles of Walk Away The Pounds 5x/week. I'll start going to the gym on November (according to plan) but for now I'm only counting calories and eating within my limit faithfully.
Nayshal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:16 AM   #54  
waisting away

S/C/G: Too Much/Getting There/Healthy

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
There are lots of ways to get cardio outside of the gym - running, walking, biking, swimming, stairs, DVDs etc. For strength training, you can buy a kettle bell or some weights (I got my kettle bell at walmart for $11) and find tons of videos to follow on youtube.
gatorgirl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:10 PM   #55  

S/C/G: 170.5/164.5/140

Height: 5'6''

After an elevated sugar scare a few weeks ago I started looking into a diet plan that would help with that (I have several family members with diabetes and I'm determined not to join them!). After hours and hours of looking into various plans I decided to go with Jorge Cruise's plan as outlined in his book, The Belly Fat Cure. I started last weekend and I'm down 4 lbs so far In a nutshell I'm keeping my sugar intake to 15g or less a day and my carbs between 30-120 grams, (though I don't think I've ever gotten over 50 so far).
mom23kids1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:30 PM   #56  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Calorie counting works best for me, I have tried many other plans but this is the one I find simpler to follow.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:41 PM   #57  
keep going

S/C/G: 176/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

I don't count calories or follow any plan as such, I concentrate on being aware of what I'm eating and I weigh daily to keep myself in check.
LeilaJey is offline   Reply With Quote