3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Help! Grease burns! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/267824-help-grease-burns.html)

Thedollylala 10-10-2012 07:18 AM

Help! Grease burns!

I was cooking with grape seed oil last night and some oil popped up and splashed my neck and lower face, I ran it under cold water, applied burn gel, then I sat with a bag of frozen edamame beans wrapped in a towel on the area. I'm still red and splotchy this morning and I applied triple antibiotic. But my main concern is working out/running with these burns I tend to get very red skinned when I work out very flush and I don't want these to blister but I honestly don't want to miss a workout, especially considering the area. Will I be ok to work out? Here's a pic of the spots hopefully they aren't that ba and I'm over reacting

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...FEB7413667.jpg

Ruthxxx 10-10-2012 07:24 AM

I'd be inclined to skip the workout as extra blood to that area may make it worse. Do you have any Vitamin E capsules? I find that Vit E oil really speeds up healing of damaged skin.

Thedollylala 10-10-2012 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruthxxx (Post 4493447)
I'd be inclined to skip the workout as extra blood to that area may make it worse. Do you have any Vitamin E capsules? I find that Vit E oil really speeds up healing of damaged skin.

I don't but I'll pick some up!

twinieten 10-10-2012 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thedollylala (Post 4493453)
I don't but I'll pick some up!

Just make sure they are natural. They should be in a dark bottle (light sensetive). Synthetic vitamin E (not as effective) will have a "dl-" prefix.

I think blistering is usually an immediate response. If you don't already have blisters, you probably won't get them. I don't think there's much else you can do with the redness but wait and let your skin heal. Keep it moisturized. Maybe try some coconut oil. Vitamin E might help prevent scarring.

Thedollylala 10-10-2012 07:43 AM

Can you get coconut oil from a drug store like cvs or walgreens?

bargoo 10-10-2012 08:19 AM

Aloe is wonderful for burns you should be able to get Aloe gel in a drugstore.

twinieten 10-10-2012 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thedollylala (Post 4493459)
Can you get coconut oil from a drug store like cvs or walgreens?

Probably, but I think you're best bet is probably a health food store, or grocery store, in the oil isle. You're better off paying a little extra for cold speller pressed, unrefined coconut oil. Coconut oil great for cooking, good for the skin and some people even swallow 2 tablespoons each day to help with weight loss.

I don't know why I didn't think about aloe, as bargoo suggested! It's great for healing!

Thedollylala 10-10-2012 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bargoo (Post 4493470)
Aloe is wonderful for burns you should be able to get Aloe gel in a drugstore.

I think I have aloe gel at home my grandma use to have an aloe plant and she'd put it on my sun burns when I was a little kid :3

For the moment I picked up vitamin e tablets in the dark bottle and I'll see if I can find coconut oil after work, I'm thinking I deffinately shoulnt run after work, but what about strength train? I don't get as hot (tho I do just not as much as running) yesterday was rest day and I feel like I'm cheating

bargoo 10-10-2012 11:17 AM

Don't use anything with oil in it as you will fry your skin !

Thedollylala 10-10-2012 11:32 AM

Soooooooo no vitamin e?

Ruthxxx 10-10-2012 11:34 AM

E works for me - just sayin' ...

Thedollylala 10-10-2012 11:51 AM

I just researched and it seems vitamin e is good for the burns, I think I'll alternate that with aloe

alaskanlaughter 10-10-2012 12:29 PM

there is a natural remedy called Arnica Montana that i use with my students...either applied to the burn or taken as a tablet under the tongue...natural stores would have it, not a big box store or pharmacy...it works really good

if it was me, and i get really red also when working out, i'd probably just work out anyhow LOL but i also tend to push myself and sometimes dont always stop when i should (running while diagnosed with bronchitis)

Thedollylala 10-10-2012 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alaskanlaughter (Post 4493754)
there is a natural remedy called Arnica Montana that i use with my students...either applied to the burn or taken as a tablet under the tongue...natural stores would have it, not a big box store or pharmacy...it works really good

if it was me, and i get really red also when working out, i'd probably just work out anyhow LOL but i also tend to push myself and sometimes dont always stop when i should (running while diagnosed with bronchitis)

Hah I'd probably work out anyways if i wasn't getting married in a few months, and was worried about dark scarred spots.

I'm gonna admit I was super sad this morning on the phone to my fiancé about getting burned and worrying about scarring

linJber 10-10-2012 06:41 PM

I can't imagine how working out would have an impact on a burn that is a day old. It hasn't blistered in a day so it isn't going to blister. More blood flow will not cause scarring. You're worrying way too much about the exercise aspect. Use E or Aloe or whatever other good burn treatment you find. Unbroken skin will heal how it's going to heal - with or without exercise. You'll be fine in a couple days. You did exactly the right thing to cool the area down as quickly as possible. But once it's cooled down, no further burn damage takes place.

There was probably a bit of water in the pan or somehow in the oil. As the oil and water heat up together, steam builds up from the water and if it's under the oil (oil floats on water) it can make the oil splatter up. Be careful to not mix oil and water in frying.

Lin