3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Losing weight on period (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/267804-losing-weight-period.html)

beariebearie 10-09-2012 10:25 PM

Losing weight on period

Like so many other women, I have always gained weight during my period.

However, I got my period 4 days ago and I have already lost 5 pounds down from 137 to 132. I feel like my body is expelling water as I am going to the bathroom frequently. I thought the body was suppose to retain water during this time. I am not exercising and eating the same. Should I be concerned?

kelly315 10-09-2012 10:27 PM

I gain the week before and consistently lose at least 5lb on the week of TOM. Maybe there was a slight shift in your hormones. Nothing to worry about.

LockItUp 10-09-2012 10:29 PM

If you are drinking plenty of fluids and just recently started losing weight, that seems pretty normal. Even if not, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

But, I'm not one to question a loss. I just thank the scale and slowly back away.

mandalinn82 10-09-2012 10:29 PM

Some women hold onto water weight right before TOM and drop it as soon as it starts. Everyone, I've found, is different in this regard.

Don't worry about it, in any case. You'll probably realize what your pattern is once you've had a few cycles where you're weighing regularly.

Thedollylala 10-09-2012 10:30 PM

I always lose during my period. I looked up my ovulation dates and discovered I Maintain/up and down during that time, then I lose fo two weeks

beariebearie 10-09-2012 10:32 PM

Thanks so much for the quick replies! :)

I was getting worried for a second as I tried googling this question and all of that came up was about how people gain during this time.

juliastl27 10-10-2012 12:57 AM

i had this happen once and it FREAKED me out!

i was so sure that one of these days i was going to step on the scale and see it rocket up like 10 lbs. it never happened.. i guess our bodies are just weird sometimes!

beariebearie 10-10-2012 10:58 PM

I'm scared too that it the scale might go up so I still haven't changed my profile weight down just in case.

I can't figure out my body especially when it comes to losing weight. Hopefully, I will learn as I progress.

juliastl27 10-10-2012 11:16 PM

well im on day 1 today and i was down 3 lbs so im confused along with you. other than that one time ive never lost before. im just keeping my fingers crossed at this point.

freelancemomma 10-10-2012 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beariebearie (Post 4493272)
Thanks so much for the quick replies! :)

I was getting worried for a second as I tried googling this question and all of that came up was about how people gain during this time.

Not everybody. I don't bloat/gain at all before or during my period (unless I'm overeating, of course).

F.

Ksquared 10-10-2012 11:51 PM

I always know when I am about to get mine. In addition to all the other little signs I put on 3-5 pounds mid way through I will lose it.. and then a little extra.

melodymist 10-10-2012 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelly315 (Post 4493263)
I gain the week before and consistently lose at least 5lb on the week of TOM. Maybe there was a slight shift in your hormones. Nothing to worry about.

I agree :) CELEBRATE IT :carrot: hehe

DisappearingActs 10-11-2012 12:58 AM

Like the others said, nothing to worry about. Many women have periods that just switch up sometimes. I used to gain weight before my period, then lose during my period, recently I keep losing up until my period and then when my period comes, I stall until it's over.

beariebearie 10-12-2012 11:33 AM

Just a quick update for anyone who might be experiencing the same:

I lost every day of my period. But today my period ended, my weight is the same as yesterday. :?: So, I guess my cycle was a big part of the reason I lost weight. This actually has never happened to me before. I went from 137 to 130.5 during the few days of my cycle.

XLMuffnTop 10-12-2012 12:12 PM

You'll start to see a pattern as you progress. If you're the type that it won't bother and become an unhealthy obsession, you can track daily w/ notes, like, too much sodium, over calories, under calories, TOM, etc to see how it affects you in the beginning. I like seeing the visualization in spreadsheets 'cause that's how I am :) If it bothers you or makes it worse, find another method.

I've found I know when my (inconsistent) period is going to start because I do bloat and can't lose an ounce and normally go up some. I'm lucky to hold steady during the period then at the end, which just so happens to be today :D I get a whoosh! In one week, last Friday to today, I "lost" 2.5 from my pre-period weight; I didn't hit my calorie deficit as much as I would've liked so it could've been more if I were disciplined. ;)

I also (TMI!) get slightly constipated during and slightly before my period so that doesn't help the scale at all!