Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-04-2012, 10:55 PM   #1  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Default How do you plan to "handle" Halloween?

I have set a goal for myself: not to binge this entire month.

I know that Halloween will be a challenging day so I"ve told my kids that they each need to give me 3 chocolate candies so I can have 6 (fun size) candies. I'm not sure if I"ll be able to stop but I feel that I need to have some sort of a plan or else I'll end up completely losing it.

Do you have a plan?
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:06 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

I'm lucky. No kiddos here, the grands are 500 miles away, and there are no small children in my neighborhood to buy candy for. The most difficult thing for me is the stupid snack cake thingies that are all fancy schmancy for halloween and all over the stinkin' place at Walmart...even by the meat counter and the produce section. I am sure I can't buy a package of halloween goodies and think I will only eat one, so I will be buying nothing.

I have recently started having either 1/2 or even a whole one of the regular size Hershey's Dark Chocolate candy bars. I count calories so I have to work it into my plan. Oddly, the dark chocolate seems a lot more satisfying to me than the milk chocolate kind; rather I can stop at 1/2 or a whole one without wanting ALL the candy bars on the planet, which *might* happen if I even sniffed at a Reese's pumpkin!

STEP AWAY FROM THE CANDY. LOL!

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:50 PM   #3  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

It's Pumpkin Delight season for Little Debbie. -_- Those things are my freakin' favorite. I might just have one.

As for candy, good lord I have no plan yet. I want to go with my niece to trick or treat, so I'll probably just steal a little bit of hers and be on my way with it. I don't think it'll be that big of an issue.
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:04 AM   #4  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

I have not really thought about it. I am going to try and get the kids to trade their candy for one new toy. We will see if that works. For me I am planning on buying a small box of gourmet See's candy to avert my gaze a bit but still have a treat that I enjoy. One piece a day maybe for a few days.
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:07 AM   #5  
(they're flowers)

S/C/G: 174/*ticker*/125

Height: 5'4''

I haven't thought that far in terms of candy and goodness, no clue what I'm even doing that night, since my evening class is canceled!

Let's just hope for the best. *crosses fingers*
Atarimae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:33 AM   #6  

S/C/G: HW-267/SW-252/ticker/GW-180

Height: 5'2"

We live in an apartment and don't get trick or treaters, yet every year I have bought at least a 70 count box and proceeded to eat the ENTIRE thing!! This year my primary plan is to not buy any candy. My daughter is only 4, so she only does 1-2 blocks and I don't go into her stash. If I have one or two then no big deal, but I will NOT binge.

Last edited by westcoast rosa; 10-05-2012 at 11:13 AM.
westcoast rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #7  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

We don't have kids, so we don't have the "whoopsie, I tripped & fell into my kid's halloween candy stash" problems. (thank goddess!!)

& - for the past 3 years, we have not bought candy for the ToT'ers. Closed all the blinds & turned off all lights in the house. Not bringing it into the house is key factor for me (& my husband.)
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:22 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 153.2/145.6/125

It literally just occurred to me with your post that we might get trick-or-treaters this year! We moved from an apartment to a townhouse last month!

Oh man, now I'm conflicted. I don't eat candy nor do I think anyone else should. All that sugar! Maybe I will be the weirdo giving out pencils. Or nuts. People like nuts, right?
ERHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:22 AM   #9  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I plan to not participate at all! Rude children in my neighborhood come around for treats every year, so I don't feel the need to reward that behavior. My kids and I will stay home and go about business as usual.

I don't really know why this "holiday" is a "tradition" we need to hang on to at all. It's just turned into a mass-marketing thing that isn't good for anyone but the candy companies. And I just won't support them any more.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:39 AM   #10  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoblewis View Post
I plan to not participate at all! Rude children in my neighborhood come around for treats every year, so I don't feel the need to reward that behavior. My kids and I will stay home and go about business as usual.

I don't really know why this "holiday" is a "tradition" we need to hang on to at all. It's just turned into a mass-marketing thing that isn't good for anyone but the candy companies. And I just won't support them any more.
I understand the mass-marketing thing, but it is a fun holiday even without all the candy. Costume parties, haunted houses, hay-rides, fun games, scary movies... it's just a day for extra fun. People (especially kids) get enjoyment out of dressing up and going out to have a good time. I remember as a kid, my church would put on a Fall/Halloween festival and they'd have a costume contest, games, and a walk through the "haunted forest" that I used to help put together. It was always a blast and my brother and I (and all the other kids) ate it up, and it really was the perfect alternative for parents who didn't like the idea of trick-or-treating but still wanted something fun to do for the kids.

I love Holidays. They make things more exciting.
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:56 AM   #11  
Dedicated Yogi

S/C/G: 269/188/160

Height: 5'8 1/2 :)

plan for halloween? out of sight, out of mind.

need to buy a costume, and then refrain from candy in order to fit into the costume, it's obviously an awesome plan! ha ha.
stimkovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:05 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 198/161/127 (started 03/2012)

Height: 5'1"

Fortunately I'm good about NOT eating candy 99% of the time when it's in the house, but my husband is NOT to the tune of him eating ALL I purchase ahead of time. So because we do give out candy I buy it the night before so he can't get to it. As far as the kids they are allowed 2 pieces a day, sometimes 4 (depends on the size) and whatever is left by end of November I throw out. I used to donate it to the school for parties, but they are not allowed candy there and my husband sometimes takes it to the workplace for people, but generally what's left is candy no one likes so meh.

Otherwise, I don't prep for it.
SerenityDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:25 AM   #13  
1500 Max!

S/C/G: 172/ticker/119

Height: 5'6"

Go out for the night? With some local weight loss buddies? Then you will not have to have candy in your house to give to trick or treaters and maybe you can do something distracting with your friends to stop you eating lots. Fortunately I live in a remote part of the English countryside so trick or treaters cannot reach us!
LucyOlivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #14  

S/C/G: HW-267/SW-252/ticker/GW-180

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERHR View Post
It literally just occurred to me with your post that we might get trick-or-treaters this year! We moved from an apartment to a townhouse last month!

Oh man, now I'm conflicted. I don't eat candy nor do I think anyone else should. All that sugar! Maybe I will be the weirdo giving out pencils. Or nuts. People like nuts, right?
Bubbles, playdoh or bouncy balls are always a huge hit with the kids (and deter the teens ). I would avoid nuts due to allergies.
westcoast rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:31 AM   #15  
Starting again

S/C/G: 289/ticker/128

Height: 5'4"

When I was a kid there was a lady in my neighborhood that gave out juice boxes. It's been fifteen years and her house still stands out to me because no one else had ever given out drinks.
I plan to only eat a few pieces from DS' stash.
shishkeberry is offline   Reply With Quote