Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-29-2012, 07:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 18.5lb/18.5lb/12st

Height: 5'3

Default support needed asap :(

hi there and thanks for reading this i need to lose weight at a good steady pace im 5 ft 2 and 18.7lb , i havent been able o lose weight before throught slimming world , nor weightwatchers or doing anything by myself it seems i have zero willpower ,

i live on takaway foods and im killing myself slowly by doing this , i have been eating like this for years and i feel i cant stop

does anyone else feel like this or wouldhave any tips or ideas what to try next ?

any good sliiming aids, pills anything ? xxx
kerrie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:35 PM   #2  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

It doesn't take a special diet, pills, or even massive willpower. Losing weight and keeping it off takes a commitment to the path and never, ever giving up. You say you have no willpower - but that's a lie.

You're making choices every day, and it is as simple and as hard as making a different choice. A health promoting one.

And then taking the next choice and making that a good one, too.

Weight loss and management isn't perfection, but it is the accumulation of the small decisions we make every day. YOU control what you put in your mouth. YOU are in the driver's seat. Not Slimming World, not motivation, not metabolism or anything else. Pick a plan - preferably a balanced one that suits your tastes and lifestyle. Then commitment with ironclad determination, to do it. Then you do it. And keep doing it. And never, ever give up.

Will you have bad days? Yeah. Will you make poor choices? Sure, none of us is perfect. But the difference between a perpetual failing dieter and a successful maintainer is nothing more magical than sheer stubbornness to see this decision through to the end of life and treat every decision as important. Every day is new, every choice is another chance to work toward health and succeed. Have a bad meal? Good news - the very next one can be excellent! You can start right this moment, without even a solid plan, making health promoting and positive choices. Choose better takeout options, get off the couch for a little workout. Make a list of things you can do to improve your health and self esteem. This is ALL under your control.

Don't give diets and elusive motivation power of your life. It isn't a method or an emotion that makes you succeed, but conscious choices and the overriding attitude with which you approach your life. I'm not always motivated to lose weight - but I am committed to doing this and never giving ups whether I feel like it or not.

Being miserable isn't enough to make that decision. Seeing your health deteriorate and hating your choices isn't enough, either. You must be ready - truly ready - to take responsibility for yourself and choose a differ set of choices each and every day. This is why diet attempts fail - it isn't the willpower of the dieter, or the mechanics of most plans - but that they are being attempted by someone who isn't ready to commit to the lifelong changes that would give them lasting success they desire.

Examine your own heart - if you are truly ready to make a change and lose the weight (and keep it off forever), if you are ready to regain your health - then decide to do it. No backing off and no reneging allowed. All that's left after that is taking each choice captive and consciously moving toward your goal, bit by bit. It is the sum of those small parts that makes your success, not any one make-or-break effort. Keep trying and never quit, you'll surely improve your life and health if you never give up.

And that's my two cents, from someone who wasn't ready to make that commitment for most of my life. But once you're there, all that's left is the journey
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:22 PM   #3  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Taryl said it better than I ever could have.

When you are really ready, you will do it. It isn't easy, it takes a lot of commitment, but it absolutely without a doubt is possible for you to do it. Really the first step is believing you can, and then doing what you need to do to get there.

I don't think there are any shortcuts. Hard work, dedication, and moving on from slips ups, have been my keys to success.

Good luck to you!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:53 PM   #4  
Knocking down walls.

S/C/G: 278/ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

It is about choices, although I don't think you have to be ready to make a commitment for life at this point to start losing weight. If all you can manage is one meal at a time or one week at a time, that's okay. This is not an all-or-nothing proposition.

Although a steady diet of takeaways is probably enough to get you to 18+ stone, have you had a complete physical recently to insure that there's not something systemic contributing to your difficulty losing weight? If you have difficulties managing other areas of your life, have you had a mental health evaluation to see if there's something going on there? I couldn't lose weight and keep it off until I was diagnosed and treated for ADHD (trying to learn good habits and be committed means nothing when you can't stay focused enough to implement anything consistently and constantly feel overwhelmed by life in general). Of course, something like that may not be your problem at all, but if you think it might be, it's worth checking out with a doctor.

Have you tried any sort of program or plan that addresses the role that your thoughts play in changing your habits? If you don't have any major medical issues that are affecting your ability to lose weight and reasonable weight loss plans aren't working for you, maybe you need to change how you think. I haven't gotten all the way through it, but what I've read of The Beck Diet Solution seems pretty good. The "solution" is based on Cognitive Behavioral Therapy - it mostly seems to be about helping you learn how to deal with the mental aspects of losing weight. There is an active Beck community in the Diet Central section of 3FC that you might be interested in checking out.
theox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:28 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 18.5lb/18.5lb/12st

Height: 5'3

hi guys and thankyou very much for your replies , theox yes i have got depression , ocd and anxiety , and that part is the hardest that is holding me back as i dont like to go out of the house on my own so therefore i cant get to exerciing and need to rely on other people :/

i have had c.b.t and it has not helped but im going to check out the book you say theox thankyou xx
kerrie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:52 PM   #6  
Knocking down walls.

S/C/G: 278/ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

That's a lot to deal with. I hope you're able to find treatments that work for you. Getting the mental health stuff under control can make dealing with physical issues a lot more manageable. Is there any physical activity you can do in your house - like a fitness DVD or dancing in your room to some music?
theox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:56 PM   #7  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

You're right, theox, it doesn't take a lifetime commitment, but it does take a commitment nonetheless. IMO, anyway.

OP, you don't even need to worry about exercise to start. Exercise is important for overall health, of course, but not necessary to lose weight. Maybe just pick one small thing to change at a time, if it all seems overwhelming right now. Cut down the take out to half as much as you are doing now; the take out you do get maybe as soon as you get it, take half and put it in the fridge. Just little changes WILL add up!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:49 AM   #8  

I do Slimming World- if you want some support Im happy to help xxx
sparklekatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:39 AM   #9  
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrie11 View Post
hi guys and thankyou very much for your replies , theox yes i have got depression , ocd and anxiety , and that part is the hardest that is holding me back as i dont like to go out of the house on my own so therefore i cant get to exerciing and need to rely on other people :/

i have had c.b.t and it has not helped but im going to check out the book you say theox thankyou xx
Just some food for thought, no pun intended I also suffered with depression, OCD, and anxiety (severe anxiety) and by exercising 5-6 days a week my issues were axed by 80%...So look at it from a standpoint that not only will you lose weight, your mental health will improve! Endorphins are better than any medication I have ever taken...I still take meds (for now) but they never worked 100%, just took the edge off and made things more tolerable. At this point I exercise to control my anxiety more than anything and consider weight loss an added bonus. Of course it started out for weightloss and to lower my chlosterol but I couldn't believe my mental improvement. So for me it's killing several birds with one stone. Maybe that will give you some incentive too. Good luck.

Last edited by novangel; 10-03-2012 at 09:40 AM.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote