Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-26-2012, 03:35 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 205/172/125

Height: 5'1

I like the weekly weigh-ins also. Seems to show more progress that way. Hang in there!!!!
kellost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:41 PM   #17  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly315 View Post
Also, you can't expect to lose a great deal by creating such a small deficit
this kind of confused me. im 190 lbs and eating 1400 calories/day. my BMR is 1650 at my weight so just to keep my body alive even if i slept all day im already burning 250. if you add onto that just the calories it takes to keep moving from an average day, i feel like im creating an decent deficit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather View Post
It's absolutely frustrating. I sometimes hate my scale. But one reason weight loss is not linear is because our scales weigh ALL of us, not just the fat we want to lose. It's kind of a terrible tool, when you think about it.

We are more water than anything else and our water varies for all kinds of reasons. The scale reflects that, as well as the gain or loss in muscle and the gain or loss in fat.

So we get on the scale having been OP for days and it's up. Or we go off plan for a few days and it's down. Neither scale outcome necessarily reflects our WEIGHT gain or loss, and yet that's what we see: "I stayed on plan and gained weight" or "Wow, I went off plan and lost. I guess I can keep eating on plan".

The scale disguises what is really going on and we give it much too much power over us.
this post really lifted my spirits. thanks for the support!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockItUp View Post
I'll come at this from a different angle and ask if you could post a graph of your total calories consumed (not NET calories). Or are you recording exercise in MFP? If you aren't, then nevermind, net and total would be the same.

Chances are everyone is right, for sure, I have had many many weeks of no loss, or gain, for no reason. But just to cover all the bases, etc., thought I'd ask.
that is my total calories consumed!

also, i am tracking my calories accurately, im a total psycho about it, lol.

oh, and to respond to the other posters, i do weigh myself constantly but i only record my weight once a week (wednesday mornings). i was actually shocked to see myself down 0.6 lbs this morning. maybe i just freaked out last night....

Last edited by juliastl27; 09-26-2012 at 04:42 PM.
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:43 PM   #18  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliastl27 View Post

also, i am tracking my calories accurately, im a total psycho about it, lol.

oh, and to respond to the other posters, i do weigh myself constantly but i only record my weight once a week. i was actually shocked to see myself down 0.6 lbs this morning. maybe i just freaked out last night....
I was down .6 today too, we are scale twins!

Seems like your calories are good then! I have no advice, just commiseration.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:51 PM   #19  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockItUp View Post
I was down .6 today too, we are scale twins!

Seems like your calories are good then! I have no advice, just commiseration.
hahahahaha. well ill take that! some weeks i really feel like im going to lose big, and this was one of those weeks. oh well.. keep on going!
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:56 PM   #20  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

I wish it was all mathematical, really. "Figure out your BMR, eat x amount less than that, lose x per week."

No. Not by a long shot.

It's more like, "figure out your BMR, mess around for weeks trying to figure out the real amount you need to eat to lose, then keep adjusting over and over because you're losing nothing for a month and 6lbs in one week."

Some people lose every day. Some people lose in chunks maybe once a month (me). Some people do all of those things despite eating the same exact thing every day. The important thing is the big picture. How much have you lost in the last three months? You really can't go by day to day losses or even, dare I say, week to week.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote