3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   weight loss and hair loss? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/266968-weight-loss-hair-loss.html)

Madkitty95 09-25-2012 09:57 PM

weight loss and hair loss?

Hi, I've been noticing that my hair has been shedding a awful lot recently. more then what is normal for me. It's too the point that I'm now worried it's bothered me for awhile but it's only just clicked that it could have something to do with my weight loss? I'm not on any crazy diet, I mostly eat the same way as before just with out all the pop, chocolate and smaller portions. Has anyone experienced this?

juliastl27 09-25-2012 10:06 PM

are you getting all the vitamins and nutrients you should be? are you extra stressed lately?

Arctic Mama 09-25-2012 10:24 PM

It's incredibly common, any metabolic stress can cause it (or not. It depends on the person!). Less sleep, work stress, or dietary shifts can all precipitate hair shedding. The good news is that it usually tapers off without issue.

Sometimes hair/skin/nails vitamins can be handy to deal with this, but even those aren't foolproof. It's somewhat expected when losing weight but is nothing to be concerned over for most people experiencing it - rarely is the hair loss truly severe, even if it freaks us out on the brush.

LaurieDawn 09-25-2012 10:37 PM

I am glad you asked this question, as I have been experiencing It too. I think I will look into vitamins specifically for it.

AwShucks 09-25-2012 11:17 PM

About a month into my weight loss my long hair started falling out. In the shower was the worst! My dietician recommended I take biotin (a vitamin) and I started out on 1x daily 1000 mcg pill, and eventually upped that to 3,000 when my nurse indicated that she took 3000/day, and the dietician just revealed to me that she takes 5,000/day. I didn't see much change with 1000, but I solved my problem with 3,000 and also developed much longer and stronger nails. Try it. Biotin is water soluble, so there's no risk of overdoing things.

Clarity 09-26-2012 02:55 PM

I had this problem a few years ago when I lost around 70 pounds. My problem was not getting enough fat in my diet. My hair got coarse and started falling out. Make sure you're eating enough fat for your body. We need about 3 to 4 servings per day depending upon our calorie level--just make sure they're the healthier ones.

twinieten 09-26-2012 03:00 PM

When I was doing this particular diet that caused rapid weight loss, I also started losing a lot of hair. I heard about biotin, so I started taking a B multi (I like the Super Stress formula from Hi Health). It helped slow the hair loss, and I still take it even though I haven't been on that diet for over a year. I recently heard that certain B vitamins keep mosquitoes away (which Bs, I don't know), and I can't tell you the last time I had a mosquito bite! They say it's a wives tale, but I'm a believer!

Madkitty95 09-26-2012 05:13 PM

Thanks :) I was just worried that it was a permanent thing my hair starting to thin. I think I'll pick up some biotin on the weekend

Robin41 09-26-2012 06:44 PM

I totally agree on the Biotin, I still take a 5000 everyday, but also be sure that you don't cut your fat intake too low. It's vital for a healthy gallbladder, but also extremely important for healthy hair, skin and nails. People trying to cut calories frequently find it easiest to cut fat, what with all the fat free products out there, and forget how much their body needs a certain amount of fat to function properly.

twinieten 09-26-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin41 (Post 4480880)
....but also be sure that you don't cut your fat intake too low. It's vital for a healthy gallbladder, but also extremely important for healthy hair, skin and nails. .....

Wow! Learn something new every day! I mean, I knew healthy fats are healthy, but I didn't know this tid bit.