Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-07-2012, 10:24 PM   #1  
Start 8/5/12

S/C/G: 205/138/130

Height: 5'4

Default Nope, not going to give it up.

Pop that is. Coke to be exact. I absolutely won't give it completely up. I still have about 1/4 of a can of Coke usually every other day. I only drink it when I'm having dinner, too. I am easily satisfied with only a quarter of a can because I take such little drinks (I used to have very sensitive front teeth and I learned to take super small sips when I drank anything cold and even though my teeth don't hurt anymore, I'm still accustomed to doing that) I eat great during the day, I don't cheat. But I can't and won't give up my pop. And I honestly don't feel guilty about it. And don't even try to convince me to switch to diet. I'd rather drink pee!

So, what things are totally "taboo" to eat/drink/do on diets that you still do?
CandieRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 82.2/78.5/64

Height: 176

At the moment I'm drinking diet drinks, but I do want to eventually cut them out. I think chocolate is the one thing I won't give up, especially chocolate bars with other unhealthy things in them such as crunchies, turkish delight, cand caramellos. I usually stick to dark chocolate most days, but two to three times a week I have a chocolate bar.
AmyAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:13 PM   #3  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

i drink one can a day of regular soda, its my vice. im drinking a can of dr pepper as i read this, haha.

dont worry about those people who say you CANT drink soda. if you're losing, then its working for you.

i drink diet soda pretty constantly. soda was always my one vice.

i also eat a taco from taco bell once in a while...

Last edited by juliastl27; 09-07-2012 at 11:15 PM.
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:14 PM   #4  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

i will not give up my mochas...i have one 12 ounce nonfat mocha every afternoon with sugar free flavoring...that's the only coffee that i drink during the day...so far i've lost 40 pounds without giving it up
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:20 PM   #5  
Warrior Princess

Coffee. Never gonna happen but I don't load it with cream and sugar. I never liked soda thankfully.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:56 PM   #6  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

The entire idea of "good" or "bad" foods is completely wrong in my opinion.

Context matters. Calories matter.

Having said that I personally think drinking calories is a waste of calories. I also believe simple sugars are like a drug to many people.

To take it a step further processed foods are devoid of fiber and break down in your body much faster than most whole foods so therefore they are less satiating so for developing habits that you can live with over the long term moving away from processed foods is a good idea.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:11 AM   #7  

I don't think any food is really "Bad" it's just all in moderation. Of course things like heavy cream and bacon are things that aren't very good for you, but even then, if things are done in moderation, it's really not that bad. Don't fake yourself out by telling yourself any food is "bad" some foods are just way better for you than others, that's all. My indulgences are things like chocolate, though. Dark chocolate to be specific. It's not bad though since chocolate has antioxidants.
beccaboo19842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:47 AM   #8  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I love Coke too, but not here in the U.S.... I think it tastes different to me because it's made with high fructose corn syrup here... I like it made with good old fashion deadly evil white sugar...lol... I make a whole ritual of it, I'll only have it at sidewalk cafe or hotel bar, or somewhere like that...in a really nice hand cut leaded crystal glass... and then I'll only have one... I mean if I'm gonna have something as "bad" as a Coke, I might as well really ENJOY it...

Some other things are.... freshly baked croissants from Payard... I'm sorry but I will not eat all day and go for a 6 mile run as long as I can have one of those and a coffee... Oh, and a really good hamburger... preferably the DB burger at DB Bistro... I don't even want to know how many calories are in that thing..

And of course chocolate! I love these assorted chocolates from Jacques Torres that are just other worldly...

Food for me has always been more about quality rather than quantity, so I chose what I'm willing to "splurge" on accordingly...

And like they say "Coke... It's the Real Thing"

Last edited by TripSwitch; 09-08-2012 at 04:01 AM.
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:49 AM   #9  
Japanese Student

S/C/G: 230/ticker/120

Height: 5'3''

I grew up on diet soda, lol. I'm trying to primarily drink water/tea, but sometimes I really want a soda. I've never had a problem with diet soda, I think it's just as good as regular, albeit not as sweet, and so I don't feel like it's going to affect my dieting by me being happy and drinking it.
I got a regular Hershey bar and I break off pieces of that to get my chocolate fix. :3 I keep it stashed though so I don't constantly think about it.
Spiritix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:04 AM   #10  

I gave up all sodas about 4 years ago. I never thought I could live without them either. But, I'm alive and I do live without sodas. The mind is very powerful and if you want to quit (soda, sweets,carbs) something you can.
Echo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:15 AM   #11  

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccaboo19842 View Post
I don't think any food is really "Bad" it's just all in moderation. Of course things like heavy cream and bacon are things that aren't very good for you, but even then, if things are done in moderation, it's really not that bad. Don't fake yourself out by telling yourself any food is "bad" some foods are just way better for you than others, that's all. My indulgences are things like chocolate, though. Dark chocolate to be specific. It's not bad though since chocolate has antioxidants.
But you see, this is where we get into "good" and "bad" again... whats wrong with bacon or heavy cream? Sure, they are calorie-dense, but so are almonds and even salmon (as examples) and those things are seen as "superfoods". Dark chocolate is fantastic but milk chocolate is not becasue it has more milk and sugar in it? What's wrong with a little milk and sugar?

I'm with JohnP on this one; for ME, foods that are natural can generally be processed by your body (unless you have specific dietary limitations due to medical issues) whereas those that are full of artificial ingredients, caramel coloring, chemicals and preservatives probably aren't. Even those things that you have been told are "bad" like saturated fats and sugar are fine for most people. It's the moderation part a lot of individuals seem to have issues with, as well as taking small tidbits of information out of context. Yes, a diet composed of bacon and heavy cream would be unhealthy, but so would a diet composed of nothing but carrots. Either way, your body is missing out on essential nutrients.

There are so many studies that seem to support every single viewpoint out there that it's hard to distinguish what is "good" or "bad", and at some point you just have to decide for yourself what you can and will accept. For me, natural is the way to go, and I even limit natural diet sodas to one per month if I'm craving it just due to the acidity of it and how damaging it can be to your teeth and your stomach lining.
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:20 AM   #12  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

If you can fit *insert random food* into your calories, have it. There is no "taboo" food for me.

Just be aware that some food that is high in sugar (like regular pop) may increase your hunger. That's the effect that sugar has on some people, especially me. I drink diet, a lot of it. (a lot of diet pop isn't good either, but we won't go down that road now)

If you can control your urges, if you get them, after having sugary things, then why not?

BTW - thanks for saying pop and not soda

Last edited by Vex; 09-08-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:46 AM   #13  
Goal is health

S/C/G: 238.8/176.1/163

Height: 5'8"

I refuse to give up pop as well. 1 or 2 a day is my limit.
DrivenByAmbition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:50 PM   #14  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
I also believe simple sugars are like a drug to many people.
Yes! My husband is a sugar addict. He knows it but won't change it...because he's an addict.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:26 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 191/149/135

Height: 5'8

To each their own. If you want soda, drink it.

I used to drink it a lot...was totally hooked for over 10 years...hated water and tea. I gave it up cold turkey 8 weeks ago and lost a bunch of weight, got rid of sugar highs and crashes, got rid of headaches and caffeine cravings... I only drink water now, and have lost all cravings or interest in soda. I really do believe it can be addictive, and i'm glad to be eating clean n green, and to not have that crap in my body anymore. I feel so much healthier without it!

Some people want to quit but can't, and others have no interest in quitting. I never thought I'd be able to give it up so I'm amazed that I have succeeded.
Mer du Japon is offline   Reply With Quote