Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-03-2012, 09:23 PM   #16  
Maintaining since 2013

S/C/G: Sz 20/Sz 8/Maintain

Height: 5'11

It's just my boyfriend and I. We have different taste buds for the most part (he's a heavy meat eater and I'm not) so I'm used to cooking different dinners.

If we are having a pasta dinner, I would watch my portion size and fill up on a salad with veggies instead of the pasta. I would also skip the extras like garlic bread and condiments (like parm cheese).

I now just drink water with my meals for the most part while he drinks a pop or juice. It works for us.
SunnySide99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:31 AM   #17  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
I think the idea that dieters can't eat normal food and must prepare entirely seperate meals unlike anything that "normal" people get to eat, is one of the myths that contribute to the dismal weight loss statistics.

Most of the food that is healthy for dieters is also healthy for normal weight and even underweight folks. Calories are VERY easy to add with a few condiments or sides. No reason to pump the calories into the main dish, when a bit of healthy fats and carbs, or just extra helpings or a glass of milk, can be added at the table by those not needing to lose weight.
Definitely agree with this. Also, the idea that "normal food" is not diet-friendly is sick and needs to change.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:41 AM   #18  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

As we've become a family that now eats dinner at the table every night (rather than the couch) and DS is here and eating more table food, our meals have evolved a bit. I'm a carb-watcher, so I'll limit or omit the starch on my plate, but it's still an option for DS and DH. I've been more of a volume eater, but with this change I've also become MUCH better with portion control. Really, I don't cook things that are all that unhealthy, so watching my portions, throwing an extra veggie, and omitting my "no" foods has worked fine.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:01 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Thanks everyone for the great idea.

I think I've decided to go with Weight Watchers, which will help me pick & choose quick meals for myself in the day (as I don't anticipate having any time in the day but then I only have experience with my last kid who was very colicky), access to family cookbooks, et. I just would prefer to learn/make proper portions of "normal" foods rather than make my own separate meals. And of course I can easily supplement toddler's plate with all the full fat cheese and snacks in the world (it is shocking how much food that kid can stuff away and still practically have a 6 pack LOL).

Plus there is lots of good info on nursing & WW safe weight loss so that will be beneficial. I didn't mention in my OP but I had very severe postnatal depression after my first child and being able to stick to a simple written plan will be helpful, I was quite upset and shocked at how hard it was to try and eat well when dealing with a baby who had a lot of health problems. I just don't want to set myself up for failure iykwim???

Thanks for all the support. We all have different needs & ideas, this is just the best way for me & my family right now.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:27 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Sacha, there are a lot of online resources for cooking great meals too. The ones below are my favorites, ESPECIALLY skinnytaste.

www.skinnytaste.com
www.cookinglight.com
www.eatingwell.com
www.eatbetteramerica.com
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote