Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 07:46 PM   #31  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prim2012 View Post
... to tell us that "calories always matter" is ... from an advice perspective and comes off as we're ignorant of even the basics.
I'm talking to the OP. I'd assume that someone like you who has lost over 100lbs knows that calories matter. You disagree with me but again we're talking about the OP, not you. Do you really think that genetics/enviornment/hormones is why the OP has been stalled for the short period of time she is? Me either.

I don't want to assume the OP knows that calories are the basis for fat loss or gain based on the context of the information in her post ...

Here is what I was respnding to ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiejames View Post
I lost it by just changing eating habits and watching carbs.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:22 PM   #32  
Optimistic cynic

S/C/G: 220/209/180

Height: 5'3"

Could I threadjack for a moment and ask jenlag: what kind of adjustable weights do you have? I recently bought 20 pound dumb bells but am already finding them too light for a couple of things. The adjustable sets seem really expensive so I'd love a recommendation.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:40 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

Height: 5'8"

I can't share much on the results of scientific studies; I can only share my experiences with exercise.

When I first started my weight loss journey, I was in horrible physical shape and could only walk about five minutes without back pain. Pretty pathetic, huh? . I decided to start walking around the block. I live on an oval shaped block that is about 3/10 of a mile around, with some small hilly parts. I decided to do one lap, then up it by one each week. I did this until I was able to do 15-16 laps/day, 5 days/week.

Then I went to the gym and did different types of cardio: incline walking, elliptical, stair climber. I was very pleased with the improved cardio fitness.

At the beginning of the year, I added weight lifting 2-3 times/week. While the cardio gave me great endurance, the weights have been great at making me look thinner. I love my triceps . I just look more compact.

For me, doing both weights and cardio have been beneficial. I wont argue with the people who believe that weights are the best thing to do for your health because I haven't done any research. They are probably right. But for me, getting into great physical shape has required both. I love that I can run five miles for the first time ever, and my blood pressure is as low as it has ever been. I FLY down the hallway at work now (which is important because the building I work in is half a mile long!).

At the same time, while I really don't enjoy lifting weights, the results have been tremendous. I can lift objects that are quite heavy now, and my arms are quite well toned. Wsh I didn't have chicken flap underarms though but you are young and won't have that problem.

Just start with something. Weights or cardio or both. Either one will help you improve your health.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:33 PM   #34  
Not settling this time

S/C/G: HW/CW/GW 278/149/130

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKatFan View Post
...the cardio gave me great endurance, the weights have been great at making me look thinner. I love my triceps . I just look more compact.

For me, doing both weights and cardio have been beneficial. I wont argue with the people who believe that weights are the best thing to do for your health because I haven't done any research. They are probably right. But for me, getting into great physical shape has required both. I love that I can run five miles for the first time ever, and my blood pressure is as low as it has ever been. I FLY down the hallway at work now (which is important because the building I work in is half a mile long!).

At the same time, while I really don't enjoy lifting weights, the results have been tremendous. I can lift objects that are quite heavy now, and my arms are quite well toned. Wsh I didn't have chicken flap underarms though but you are young and won't have that problem.

Just start with something. Weights or cardio or both. Either one will help you improve your health.
This! I think your experience mirrors of lot of ours who start getting in shape with the cardio and then add weights to step up our fitness results (and overall body composition). I absolutely don't think cardio is a "waste of time". In fact, I think the best approach would be ensuring a balance of cardio and resistance training since they both offer different benefits. Like you, I could barely complete 1/2 a mile or walk up of stairs without being winded and needing to rest. This would not have improved for me with weight training only. I needed to get the cardio (heart health) fitness in. And yes, there are plenty of studies that support cardio fitness being beneficial to health conditions like high blood pressure and diabetes, etc. I also stretch which helps me with flexibility and injury avoidance. We all know exercise is good, period. You can burn calories (and fat) with cardio or weights so I don't know why there sometimes appears to be such harsh critique when people bring up cardio as their main program and I love my weights but to each their own. Besides, I'm pretty sure doing something you enjoy like walking on a consistent basis is more beneficial than doing something you "hate" and therefore, you are less consistent with or avoid all together.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:49 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 261/161/145

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph7409 View Post
Could I threadjack for a moment and ask jenlag: what kind of adjustable weights do you have? I recently bought 20 pound dumb bells but am already finding them too light for a couple of things. The adjustable sets seem really expensive so I'd love a recommendation.
I only wish I could afford the Bowflex SelectTech weights! I went with the Gold's gym version at Walmart. They go from 5-25 pounds each, and you can do 17.5 and 22.5 pounds, which is really cool. There are times I wish I had 30 pounds, but overall am very content with these. They were $60 each, for a total of $120.

I did find adjustable ones at Academy and they were 30 pounds, same price of $60 each, BUT I found that the tab used to adjust the weights was plastic and I was worried it would break. I asked a salesman if they get many returns for it breaking and he shrugged and said he'd seen a few.

I've been using these for 3 months now and am very satisfied. It's nice and neat, love the space saving considering I work out in my living room!
Old 08-26-2012, 10:46 AM   #36  
katiejames

S/C/G: 265/186/165

Height: 5'6

Of course I am counting calories and fat..duh? How else would I lose 40lbs without working out. Please don't act like we dont know anything..i do have a brain..
Old 08-26-2012, 11:02 AM   #37  
Warrior Princess

Thumbs down

I was going to offer up exercise advice, which you asked for, but I simply don't want to be a part of your overly defensive, nasty attitude. I may not tell you the exact advice you want to hear. Sorry, that isn't how it works.

Before you come on a forum asking for weightloss/exercise advice from a bunch of strangers (some that have successfully lost all their weight) maybe try being more receptive..We're not mind-readers and don't know all avenues you've already been trying.

You already have all the answers apparently so good luck.

Last edited by novangel; 08-26-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:51 AM   #38  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

katiejames, I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt and I figured you were just feeling misunderstood, but frankly, I find your last post to be similar in attitude to that of a rebellious teen. Your insistence on your high level of intelligence is actually quite amusing because your first and last post don't demonstrate...well....I'll leave it at that....unless your goal is to come here and spew negativity. I've been on this board for years and about once a year someone appears to have some serious issues. I've always felt that you can reach someone through kindness and understanding (which I offered and you didn't even respond to, which is fine) and perhaps you've had some horrible childhood experience that has led you to have such a nasty attitude (though it's not really an excuse since many of us here have had some significant challenges). But at this point, I feel that you need professional help and I sincerely hope that you are not only seeing a nutritionist but also a psychologist.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:57 AM   #39  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

I'm reluctant to step into this thread because the OP is being so nasty and awful (why did you ask for advice if you're going to crap all over those who give it to you!?!?!), but just to contribute to the weight training/cardio discussion (lest someone other than the OP be looking for advice):

I'm a fan of weight training--I love to do it and I fully agree with John P's arguments about why it is superior to cardio for fat loss. That said, cardio is good for the body and burning a few hundred calories through cardio several times a week probably doesn't hurt.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is HIIT. The evidence strongly suggests that high intensity intervals are better than steady-state cardio for fat loss (plus you can do it more quickly). The time/fat loss ratio is much higher with HIIT than with steady-state cardio and there's something about the way it works that it causes your body to draw more directly from your fat stores during exercise.

Also, I find it far less boring.

Lyle McDonald has a pretty good series on it:
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...ng-part-1.html
Old 08-26-2012, 11:58 AM   #40  
Embracing the suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prim2012 View Post
This! I think your experience mirrors of lot of ours who start getting in shape with the cardio and then add weights to step up our fitness results (and overall body composition). I absolutely don't think cardio is a "waste of time". In fact, I think the best approach would be ensuring a balance of cardio and resistance training since they both offer different benefits. Like you, I could barely complete 1/2 a mile or walk up of stairs without being winded and needing to rest. This would not have improved for me with weight training only. I needed to get the cardio (heart health) fitness in. And yes, there are plenty of studies that support cardio fitness being beneficial to health conditions like high blood pressure and diabetes, etc. I also stretch which helps me with flexibility and injury avoidance. We all know exercise is good, period. You can burn calories (and fat) with cardio or weights so I don't know why there sometimes appears to be such harsh critique when people bring up cardio as their main program and I love my weights but to each their own. Besides, I'm pretty sure doing something you enjoy like walking on a consistent basis is more beneficial than doing something you "hate" and therefore, you are less consistent with or avoid all together.
I am not sure what forum you read but I haven't seen many people around calling cardio a waste of time or hating on it - merely that given a limited amount of time you're better off lifting weights than doing cardio in the context of fat loss and bodycomposition. Context matters.

It seems you have something to learn though about weight training and cardio vascular health. For a novice interested in fat loss they should be doing weight training that keeps their heart rate elevated. Doing a set of heavy squats for example should be pushing your heart rate way up to the 160-180 range depending on effort. After a month of weight training if you can't walk up stairs without being winded than you need to reevaluate what you're doing.

If fat loss is your goal you shouldn't be doing low volume maximum poundage work with 5 minutes between sets . Furthermore if someone is doing arm curls with pink dumbells than you're not going to build much work capacity or endurance ... (this is meant as an illustration of how not to do it - I am not implying that you are doing worthless arm curls with 5lb pink dumbells.)
Old 08-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #41  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Doing a set of heavy squats for example should be pushing your heart rate way up to the 160-180 range depending on effort. After a month of weight training if you can't walk up stairs without being winded than you need to reevaluate what you're doing.
Just want to back John up here. I wear an HRM when I exercise and my heart rate gets to the same number when I do squats and deadlifts as it does when I do sprints. Lifting heavy weights absolutely helps to condition the cardio-vascular system.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #42  
Embracing the suck

Hmmm seeing where this thread is heading I feel like making one final post here ...

Old 08-26-2012, 12:13 PM   #43  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

John, that hilarious. classic TNG
Old 08-26-2012, 12:17 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 198/161/127 (started 03/2012)

Height: 5'1"

John what about my 35 pound pink kettlebell...just sayin' Although technically it's more magenta.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:24 PM   #45  
Not settling this time

S/C/G: HW/CW/GW 278/149/130

Height: 5'3

I think this thread deteriorated based on tone of the responses (on both parts) and not the content.
Closed Thread