How can a metabolism be so slow/low?

You're on Page 4 of 4
Go to
  • Quote: I can honestly say that for me, macronutrients make NO difference in how much I lose/gain, how full I feel, or my general well-being. I would love to be able to say, "by eating an egg with my toast I feel SO much fuller," but it seems to make no difference. Occasionally I have a day in which I eat about 80% carbs, and I feel no more hungry than if the same calories were allotted to different macronutrients. Same deal if I have a very high protein day -- I feel no more sated than any other day.

F.
    I am the same way, but I wouldn't say it's lucky. No matter the combination of macros, I was still ALWAYS hungry, until I started taking several amino acids (per "The Diet Cure" by Julia Ross).

Quote: Sometimes I wonder if it's learned behavior or if it's how eating makes us feel and our hunger pangs. Like, how can you explain identical twins adopted by two different families and they are both overweight to about the same degree, but their adoptive parents are thin and fit?

I look at my husband and he eats when he's hungry. He prefers good stuff over bad stuff. He can say no to things. Is that learned? or is there some other stuff going on there? I'll never know. All I know is I WISH I could eat like him!
    I think this is true, but in my large family, I am the only overweight one besides my mom. She and I look alike and have the same build. None of my sisters or brothers takes after her to the degree I do. I think we may have the same genetic tendencies which make it harder to lose and maintain weight loss, but after reading Ross's book, I think we have the same need/deficiency for certain brain chemicals. Since starting aminos, I feel so much better and I'm actually able to feel full from eating and my cravings are gone.

I don't mean to be all evangelical about the book, but's it's really turned things around for me (before I was strictly calorie counting--with an emphasis on protein-- and white knuckling my way through the day).
  • Some is definitely learned behavior, especially when it comes to frequency of meals and nutritional choices. And yet, some is also genetic, who is to say how much of the meal frequency, for example, is dictated by habit vs. the entire family tending toward hypoglycemia, being consistently more fidgety and active, or what have you?

Given the huuuuuge role that hormones play in energy regulation, I am inclined to believe a stronger genetic component in influencing metabolism than many. But that doesn't mean it can't be surmounted or worked around - genetics load the gun and habit pulls the trigger, in that sense.

Making different choices and working with our bodies to come to a satisfying and healthful solution to our specific food challenges can be done by most people, I think. But some have to change a LOT more of what they eat, how much, and the consistency with which they adhere to their new habits, than others.
  • re:
    Quote:
    genetics load the gun and habit pulls the trigger
    excellent phrase..
  • I have read instances about twins separated at birth are reunited they often find that they have the same weight and favorite foods, etc.

On the otherhand, my sister who is two years younger than me, grew up in the same household, and she never liked to eat. She is naturally thin.

So maybe our learned eating is the response our body gets from certain foods.

Quote: Sometimes I wonder if it's learned behavior or if it's how eating makes us feel and our hunger pangs. Like, how can you explain identical twins adopted by two different families and they are both overweight to about the same degree, but their adoptive parents are thin and fit?

I look at my husband and he eats when he's hungry. He prefers good stuff over bad stuff. He can say no to things. Is that learned? or is there some other stuff going on there? I'll never know. All I know is I WISH I could eat like him!
  • I don't understand it either. I will admit I don't have the best diet, but I would never consider myself a binger and I don't eat a lot of food as far as quantity goes. I was at 196 just two months ago and now I'm up to 203 just from adding back in some "normal" foods. I guess I'm just destined to eat salads with a side of water forever.