3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   17 day diet and c25k experiences anyone? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/264172-17-day-diet-c25k-experiences-anyone.html)

cristysimental 08-06-2012 02:58 PM

17 day diet and c25k experiences anyone?

I am on day 8 of the 17 day diet, and I am considering starting c25k today... Anyone have experience with either or these programs? I need more weightless buddies! Or success stories... Anything! :)

cristysimental 08-06-2012 03:00 PM

Weightloss* lol

DandelionCupcakes 08-06-2012 04:19 PM

I will gladly be your weightless buddy :P
I started c25k last week but me, being the most graceful individual to walk the planet, tripped over a stick and hurt my ankle. So I took a few days off, starting up again today.

I'm a -terrible- runner, so I'm doing this to sort of challenge myself, I want to prove that I can do it.

I live in a really hilly area, I've been having some issues with that (also sticks) and my endurance is absolute crud, but I've decided that I can't quit this!

I think it'd be neat if you started up! I don't know anyone else who's doing it right now, and we're really similar in height/weight so it might be fun to keep up with each other as it goes along.

JohnP 08-06-2012 04:32 PM

For C25K it's a decent program if you want to run.

That said - if you're not really interested in being a runner but just looking for exercise to help in your fat loss than you're far better off with weight lifting.

DandelionCupcakes 08-06-2012 05:59 PM

:c my only problem with weight lifting is that it requires money which I don't have. I'm -so- interested, once I get a job I'm going to start up a gym.

JohnP 08-06-2012 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DandelionCupcakes (Post 4429361)
:c my only problem with weight lifting is that it requires money which I don't have. I'm -so- interested, once I get a job I'm going to start up a gym.

You don't need much money to lift weights. Google the sparatcus 2.0 workout. With a $25 weight set from Walmart you can do it.

DandelionCupcakes 08-06-2012 06:29 PM

$25 is money. :/ Twenty five monies, even.
._. I can't even afford to buy a new toothbrush this month, eek.

However that is MUCH less expensive than what I've come across before, so I'm going to keep that in mind. Thank you very much <3

1yr2mkovr 08-06-2012 08:50 PM

I'm starting my 5th week (out of 9) on c25k and I love it. Every first day of a new week is very challenging, but if you don't give up you feel very accomplished! Also, I know that my workouts are helping me become better with a specific skill (running) rather than just losing calories, and I love that too. I was never a runner (in fact, saying that was not a runner is a major understatement) but now I know I can do it, and it's very exciting! I highly recommend it!

DandelionCupcakes 08-06-2012 08:54 PM

:D That's really reassuring. "Not a runner" is an understatement for me, too. lol.

alaskanlaughter 08-06-2012 10:03 PM

im also "not a runner" but ive been running on the treadmill since last september...i really like it and i like pushing myself...ive always wanted to be a runner and, although i'd like to run outside, it's horrible on my knees, triggers my asthma something fierce, and it rains here constantly anyhow

ive always done intervals but not c25k...right now i'm running 0.6 of a mile without stopping, walk for a 30-second breath, then run another one...i'm working my way up to running one mile, walk to breathe, then run another mile...

you can totally do this!

MariaMaria 08-07-2012 12:01 AM

if you can't afford a toothbrush you can't afford decent running shoes. I would strongly suggest not trying to run on whatever's sitting around.

HungryHungryHippo 08-07-2012 12:04 AM

I'm doing C25K, just starting week 8. While I can't say I look forward to it, it is totally manageable, and has given me a real sense of accomplishment.

DandelionCupcakes 08-07-2012 12:04 AM

My lovely mother got me these~ http://www.payless.com/images/490x49..._4_490x490.jpg

I don't know if they're decent or not :c

I feel a bit attacked tbh, and this isn't even my thread...you might've phrased that in a better way if you were genuinely concerned? :/ Perhaps a "What kind of shoes are you using? That's really important!" You know?

Oh well. <3 Best of luck to you, ma'am :]

Obsidianbbw 08-07-2012 08:47 AM

When i first started with weights I used stuff around the house. Pretty sure you can find stuff on youtube doing weight stuff with your own body weight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DandelionCupcakes (Post 4429387)
$25 is money. :/ Twenty five monies, even.
._. I can't even afford to buy a new toothbrush this month, eek.

However that is MUCH less expensive than what I've come across before, so I'm going to keep that in mind. Thank you very much <3

Eydawn 08-07-2012 02:49 PM

Runners get snarky, pay it no mind... they forget they're not talking to other runners sometimes...

If C-2-5k is what's looking appealing, follow that yen! Any movement is better than not exercising. Sure, some forms will speed fat loss, etc... but it's not all about that. It's about lifestyle. You're more likely to stick with exercise that interests you/challenges you. And it's not as if you're training for a marathon or a 50K or something... it's just 3.1 miles...

It is very true though, that good running shoes will help you prevent injury, especially if you're just starting up. Those Champion shoes are more walkers than runners, I have the older version of them and the only "run" I was willing to take them on was the mud race I did recently because I wouldn't be sad if they got trashed.

I would suggest looking at somewhere like DSW, TJMaxx, Marshall's, Ross, etc. for a pair of actual running shoes... you can find name brand stuff for less cost and it'll be better quality than Payless junk. I got a pair of Reeboks that I'm using for work for $30, for example... Save up for them, and until you get there, just be mindful if you start feeling nagging weird pains with the shoes you've got... you may be creating problems in your biomechanics which can lead you to injury, which will derail the whole running thing.

I will join you guys on C-2-5k! I've got the bug and need to get running again. Oh, and you're in good company with lame runners- I've got a permanent limp from damaged proprioceptive nerves in my ankle, asthma, and a funky knee... I am neither fast nor graceful, and hated running for much of my life, but had a change of heart towards it last year... now I don't love it, but I like it well enough that it grabs me every so often and off I go!

--Wendy