Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-04-2012, 10:25 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 185.5/175/142

Height: 5'6

Get support from someone.
Keep a log of choices.
Don't eat in between meals( I did this a lot just because I was bored or lonely)
Find out why you are eating ( bored,lonely,sad)
Drink 64 oz. of water.
Carry dressings and diet things you'll need ewhen you go out to eat.
Always plan ahead
Never eat in the car
Always refuse dessert...if you have to have some just eat a few bites
Weigh once a week

I am giving a lot of advice...but I have only been on a diet for 5 days..so maybe I listen to my own advice and yours

Last edited by cmarty; 08-04-2012 at 10:27 AM. Reason: left out word
cmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:37 AM   #32  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

1) Be Patient. You may not have the same success as other people as fast as other people. You are unique. It's different for everyone.

2) Plan ahead as much as you can. There are a lot of things we cannot control in this life, but what you eat and when you eat it CAN be controlled.

3) Stop making excuses. Do or do not. It's very simple.

4) Log your food / drink intake somewhere every day. Make a commitment to yourself to do that.

5) Be willing to try anything and everything (healthy - I'm not talking about using wacky weight loss "drugs" or stuff like that). Stop saying I can't/ I won't/ and I don't. You are as limited as you make yourself be (this is for people without food allergies)

6) Relates to number 1 - do not compare yourself to others. There is no added value.

7) Be positive. Celebrate your daily victories. Don't be so hard on yourself - this is the ONLY life that you get, take the time to ENJOY it as well (and I don't mean with food, but birthdays, weddings, holidays are meant to be enjoyed; it's possible to have that happiness without overdoing it).
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:08 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

what PinkyPie said #2 " This is something I can control, so I need to" There are so many things that we can't control in life.

I also agree with, educate, journal, uncover triggers & don't totally deny one's self. Good Luck all
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:30 PM   #34  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotothegymOKAY View Post

2) Don't kid yourself at the grocery store and convince yourself that you can buy those [crackers/chips/cheese/etc] and eat them in moderation. If you weren't able to not binge on them last week, chances are you won't be able to have the control this week!
This is so me right now omgg. I have so much "low calorie" diet snacks that I end up eating so much more than I used to. I need to stop buying them for good.
luckystreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:12 PM   #35  
The 'x3' is a heart! :)

S/C/G: 250/low 200's/165

Accept yourself for what you are now. After 80+ pounds of weight loss so far, I have realized that losing the actual weight off of my body is not going to make me happy- it is my perception of myself that makes the difference.

Also, don't use one binge as an excuse for another binge. Pick yourself up and start again!
mirax3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:19 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 205/186/140

Height: 5'3

There is more to life than eating.
theone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:28 PM   #37  

Wear form fitting clothing as much as possible! I spent the last few years hardly wearing anything but yoga pants, sweatpants, comfy shirts, etc. and the result was a 30+ pound weight gain that I didn't even notice.
thinkfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:21 AM   #38  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

First and foremost: doing a total 180 on my approach to food. Before, I had a kid's mentality: "I don't know that food, so I don't like it." This included pretty much every fruit and vegetable... I conditioned myself to think differently. (Now people hate me because I always want veggies at every meal, and eat pretty much everything, including apalling stuff like durian. )

Also: getting the negative talk out of it all (that was after I started developing ED... yeah, dieting made me sick in my head, sooo nice...). No internally yelling at myself and abusing myself with self-talk of "you fat cow, why can't you stop?". No more words like "forbidden foods", "I've been bad", "I'm not allowed to eat that". And no more self-defeating thoughts such as "it's the week end, I'm bound to binge since there's no school/work to keep me busy". That negative thinking would just make me feel even more frustrated, and then I'd binge in turn. I did my best to turn it into something at least neutral (it's food, mere fuel—not the Antichrist made bagel) or positive ("I can have bread... it just has to be the *best* bread in town, not some crappy ersatz... aw, only low supermarket-bakery breads around? Well, nevermind, it's not what *I* want now, so I don't see why I should eat it."

And I think it's something Krampus mentioned? But it's probably worth only when you're starting to reach an 'only overweight' BMI, because I'm not sure if those exist in the largest sizes: corsets. (I wer those because I really like Goth, Victorian and Steampunk-influenced clothing, btw, not to torture myself. ) You just can't overeat *at all* when you're wearing a corset.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:26 AM   #39  

Height: 5'5"

I, too, love this thread. So much of it rings true, and some of these things do not work for me at all. It's like John said about the nutrition advice in The New Rules of Lifting books. They are clearly not written for severely obese women. I love the work - outs, and I have really increased my protein percentage intake as a result of reading it, but fat loss is way more important to me than muscle gain right now, so I will not be eating the recommend 3000 daily calories or so that the formula in his book suggests.

So - my tip is unapologetically doing what I believe is right for me right now to aid my weight loss. And if I'm wrong? I have learned more about what does and doesn't work, and have avoided the true disaster that is mindless eating.

Last edited by LaurieDawn; 08-07-2012 at 07:28 AM.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 230/149/138

1. Stop making excuses.

You are not too old. You are not too sick. You do not have "fat genes" or "big bones." You do have time to work out. You can buy healthful food instead of junk for you and your kids. You are not special when it comes to weight loss. There is no magic pill. Hoping and praying are not enough. Will power does run out, and you have to work past it. You ARE strong enough.

2. Stop comparing yourself to others.

There will always be someone losing faster than you. Who cares? The goal is to lose the weight forever, so concern yourself with you, not someone else.

Last edited by Lunula; 08-07-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Lunula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:53 PM   #41  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunula View Post
Stop making excuses.

You are not too old. You are not too sick. You do not have "fat genes" or "big bones." You do have time to work out. You can buy healthful food instead of junk for you and your kids. You are not special when it comes to weight loss. There is no magic pill. Hoping and praying are not enough. Will power does run out, and you have to work past it. You ARE strong enough.
AMEN!!!!!!!!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #42  

Imagine once you reach your goal weight or even start to lose everything "going wrong." People say you look fugly, nothing in your life is better, nothing changes except that you weigh less - I did that and it was still worth it to me, so I trudged on no matter what.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:54 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 213/188/159

Keep your goal in mind and how you'll look when you get there as a way of thinking positively rather than thinking on what you can't have or what you're missing out on.
tricon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:26 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 175/150/139. Ultimate Goal:132

When you are in a good mood, keeping busy, telling yourself you look thinner, and find something to look forward to, you'll naturally eat less and won't think that much about food that day.
GotothegymOKAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:36 AM   #45  

S/C/G: 82.2/78.5/64

Height: 176

Whenever I have a craving for a food, I'll log it into my fitday account before I start eat it. That way, if the calories are too high, I might decide not to eat it, or at least have less of it.

I always plan out what I will eat for the whole day the night before or in the morning. I usually tweak it throughout the day.
AmyAmy is offline   Reply With Quote