Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-01-2012, 09:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

Height: 5'8"

Default Water weight after overeating

Man, I'm really suffering from this. When I pig out, I must consume an incredible amount of sodium because I find myself drinking water and other liquids nonstop.

This happened to me over the weekend. I binged and consumed an embarrassing amount of food, and found myself drinking non-alcoholic beverages non-stop. On Monday, I was noticeably bloated. In fact, it was so bad that when I climbed the stairs at my gym, I had a hard time getting up the stairs! And when I squatted down to feed the cats, my knees hurt when I had to stand back up...and it took some effort to stand up again. That morning, my jeans, which are usually loose, we're very tight.

Now that I am back to plan and not eating nearly as much, I am finding that I am in the bathroom a lot, letting go of the water weight. I must have gone six times at work today. The pace is slowing, but I can feel my ribs again.

Does anybody else have serious problems with bloating after binging? It was my TOM which didn't help.

Another thing I find interesting: after a binge, I usually have the best workouts of my life! I feel strong and not tired. Maybe eating more carbs does make a difference.
KittyKatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:37 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKatFan View Post
Another thing I find interesting: after a binge, I usually have the best workouts of my life! I feel strong and not tired. Maybe eating more carbs does make a difference.
I've noticed this too! Not just after a binge, but after eating more than usual. I also prefer having my morning run right after breakfast (500 cals) than right before it. Some people say they feel sluggish if they work out on a full stomach, but I feel more energetic.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:41 AM   #3  
Dedicated Yogi

S/C/G: 269/188/160

Height: 5'8 1/2 :)

I think you're both right- i also have really good workouts after eating more then usual- i think it is because our bodies are used to running at a deficit, and need fuel. I know that when I exercise, I have to eat something right before, or I have 0 energy. Although it's starting to change a little bit, and I have to consume less and less- like if i have that "full" feeling, even if it's from like, a 300 cal meal, I almost feel bloated.

With drinking liquids after a binge- also true, for some reason it makes me SUPER thirsty. But you know that you're letting go of the water, stay OP and everything else will work out!
stimkovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #4  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Depends on what you ate...even Subway has a load of sodium in their sandwiches, a restaurant or pizza place will be off the charts, esp if you're not used to eating sodium-heavy foods. I find that even the soy sauce used with sushi bloats me and makes me thirsty.

Makes sense to have better workouts with more "fuel" (though having a huge bloated stomach can literally get in the way) - I generally eat all my food between 2-4 PM and go to the gym at 5:15 PM in hopes that it will all "take" and energize me. Hard to time things perfectly though.

freelancemomma do you wait after breakfast to run? If I try to run less than a full hour after eating even a protein bar, I always throw up in my mouth a little O_o
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #5  
Health and Happiness

S/C/G: Restart May 2012: 206/161/fit

Height: 5'5"

Our bodies get used to a certain mineral/water balance when we feed it with some consistency, but when we deviate from our usual pattern (especially in a big way) our bodies freak out trying to get back that balance (homeostasis). The water will come off when we go back to our normal diet and will come off even faster if we cut down on sodium, increase potassium, and drink boat loads of water after a binge or even a planned cheat meal.
GardenBurglar is offline   Reply With Quote