Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-30-2012, 02:15 PM   #16  

Height: 5'4

Yeah, "heavy" is a completely relative term, but it basically means that you should feel muscle fatigue around 8 reps or so with perfect form. You *could* push out a couple more, but might risk sacrificing your form.

If by 8-10 reps you aren't struggling with it you need to go heavier.

Val and I differ somewhat in our numbers, but the concept is the same. I base mine off of the belief that;

- Lifting as heavy as you can with fatigue at 5-8 reps = training for strength and power
- Lifting as heavy as you can with fatigue at 10-12 reps = training for maximum muscle hypertrophy (AKA Size)
- Lifting as heavy as you can with fatigue at 15 or more reps = training for muscular endurance

So, if you want to get stronger, keep the weight heavy and the reps low. If you want muscle growth, aim for the 10-12 rep range, and if you want muscular endurance (read: not "TONE" or whatever crap Shape magazine tells you) lifting in the 15+ rep range will get you there.

"Tone" will come from building muscle by lifing heavy, eating sufficient calories, and buring enough fat to show off the muscle.
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:02 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 247/195/150

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JossFit View Post
"Tone" will come from building muscle by lifing heavy, eating sufficient calories, and buring enough fat to show off the muscle.
Just wanted to ask a question about this. Is there anyway of knowing what amount of calories is 'sufficient' to gain muscle? Or is it just by a trial and error sort of thing [finding out what works for you personally and what doesn't]? I'd like to gain muscle in my butt and legs, which I know are pretty difficult areas as opposed to the arms. What kind of diet works best with gaining muscle? I know you need lots of protein, but what about fat? Carbs? How can I find the balance of all these things while managing losing weight as well? Sorry to ask so many questions! But you seem very knowledgeable about lifting and I just wanted to get an idea..
stephaniegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:33 PM   #18  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

The girls above are right on: you have to lift heavy to grow your muscles. "Toning" is not a real thing. The other thing that is important, however, are the exercises you are doing. Probably you don't need to do bicep curls or tricep extensions: instead you should be doing dumbbell presses--standing up and at an incline, and rows of various kinds. These are exercises for which you will want to use heavier weights. Any 7 year old can press 8lb. Compound exercises with heavy weights. Do it and have fun!
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:36 PM   #19  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephaniegee View Post
Just wanted to ask a question about this. Is there anyway of knowing what amount of calories is 'sufficient' to gain muscle? Or is it just by a trial and error sort of thing [finding out what works for you personally and what doesn't]? I'd like to gain muscle in my butt and legs, which I know are pretty difficult areas as opposed to the arms. What kind of diet works best with gaining muscle? I know you need lots of protein, but what about fat? Carbs? How can I find the balance of all these things while managing losing weight as well? Sorry to ask so many questions! But you seem very knowledgeable about lifting and I just wanted to get an idea..

It's tricky. The thing is that building muscle requires a calorie surplus: growing muscle = gaining weight (but muscle, not fat). Eating a diet high in lean proteins and veggies will help with this. HOWEVER, it does seem that if you eat a little below maintenance (again, lots of lean protein, veggies, and healthy fats) and take up weight lifting as a novice, you can achieve the miraculous: gaining muscle and strength while losing fat. For you, keep your calories moderately low (300 or so below maintenance--trial and error here) and train smart. You should be able to accomplish strength increases and muscle maintenance while still losing fat and 'weight'.
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:13 PM   #20  

Quote:
Originally Posted by DietVet View Post
It's tricky. The thing is that building muscle requires a calorie surplus: growing muscle = gaining weight (but muscle, not fat). Eating a diet high in lean proteins and veggies will help with this. HOWEVER, it does seem that if you eat a little below maintenance (again, lots of lean protein, veggies, and healthy fats) and take up weight lifting as a novice, you can achieve the miraculous: gaining muscle and strength while losing fat. For you, keep your calories moderately low (300 or so below maintenance--trial and error here) and train smart. You should be able to accomplish strength increases and muscle maintenance while still losing fat and 'weight'.
Yep, newbie gains... take advantage of it! I say start lifting heavy and slowly add calories (200 increase per day each week) and keep evaluating. Use pictures, measurements and the scale. If you gain too much and it appears to be fat, back off a bit and let it level out.
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:53 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 198/180.5/130

Height: 5'6"

I know how you feel. Everything seems smaller but my arms. I feel like I look like a non muscular Popeye lol.
TheRainFalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #22  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Quote:
Yeah, "heavy" is a completely relative term, but it basically means that you should feel muscle fatigue around 8 reps or so with perfect form. You *could* push out a couple more, but might risk sacrificing your form.

If by 8-10 reps you aren't struggling with it you need to go heavier.

Val and I differ somewhat in our numbers, but the concept is the same. I base mine off of the belief that;

- Lifting as heavy as you can with fatigue at 5-8 reps = training for strength and power
- Lifting as heavy as you can with fatigue at 10-12 reps = training for maximum muscle hypertrophy (AKA Size)
- Lifting as heavy as you can with fatigue at 15 or more reps = training for muscular endurance

So, if you want to get stronger, keep the weight heavy and the reps low. If you want muscle growth, aim for the 10-12 rep range, and if you want muscular endurance (read: not "TONE" or whatever crap Shape magazine tells you) lifting in the 15+ rep range will get you there.

So, if I'm wanting to build muscle, how many SETS of 10-12 reps do I do? Does it matter?
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:33 PM   #23  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimsyborogoves View Post
So, if I'm wanting to build muscle, how many SETS of 10-12 reps do I do? Does it matter?
Good rules of thumbs for beginners. This is just my opinion on the best way for a beginner who is primarily interested in fat loss and bodycomposition.

1) Do compound exercises only.

2) Do a full body routine 3x a week.

3) Do 10-12 reps with only 2 sets. Seems like a small amount but as a beginner you only need a small amount.

4) Start LIGHT and focus on form. It should be quite easy for the first week or so. If you're having any difficulty with the amount of weight you're using in the first week you started too heavy. The first week should not be any kind of struggle.

5) Increase your weight every workout by the smallest amount possible. In week two it still shouldn't be difficult but by week three it should be at least somewhat of a struggle and by week four it should be. You should be carrying around a clipboard at the gym for the first several months at least.

After 2-3 months you'll be lifting much heavier weights than you ever thought possible and you'll look completely different in the mirror. At that point you will need to do more sets per workout but hit each body part fewer times per week.

Think of it like this. You want to get a nice tan you don't go lay in the sun for a couple hours when you're white and pale. Likewise you don't go into a weight room and beat your body up to the point it can't recover. Build up your strenght and work capacity in the first 2-3 months and then you can switch to a more robust routine.

The primary thing to learn as a beginner is proper form so when the weights get heavy you don't injure yourself.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 166/145/115

Learned a great deal in this thread. Thanks everyone (:
Bloopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:51 AM   #25  

i dont think u can get rid of it in just your arms. main thing is just take up healthy habits, and plus you are only 14, and younger dudes naturally tend to have a little more fat than older ones sometimes... so dont worry
vjykmr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:55 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 135/129/118

Height: 5'4"

Wow I learned so much. So many knowledgeable people here. I appreciate all the info. I had to google compound exercises but found some clear examples. I have been saying for years (even when I'm at a goal weight) that I don't like my big arms. I realize I have to do something about it to actually make a difference. Diet alone won't make me like the look of my arms or help me do pushups.
fresh15again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:55 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 166/145/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjykmr89 View Post
i dont think u can get rid of it in just your arms. main thing is just take up healthy habits, and plus you are only 14, and younger dudes naturally tend to have a little more fat than older ones sometimes... so dont worry
um, you're not talking to me, are you? LOL. cause I'm neither 14 nor a 'dude' LOL.
Bloopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:07 AM   #28  
The 'x3' is a heart! :)

S/C/G: 250/low 200's/165

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Lifting 8 pound weights isn't going to "tone" anything. Heck, I bet your purse weighs more than that.

Lifting weights is really only beneficial if you CHALLENGE yourself.
Yes! Why waste your time... if small weights could help me tone I would carry my purse around the mall and call it weight training.

Lift heavy!!! And if one more person tells me that I should "ease up" on the weights for fear that I might look "bulky", I swear to God...
mirax3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:55 AM   #29  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirax3 View Post
Lift heavy!!! And if one more person tells me that I should "ease up" on the weights for fear that I might look "bulky", I swear to God...
Get strong and punch those people in the face.

Ok, I'm joking, but I know how you feel. It's been almost a year since I went super serious with the weight training and I'm glad to say the comments have pretty much stopped. Everyone around me realizes that I'm not going to get bulky lifting weights and instead they're all starting the do the same.

Even if I was going to bulk up, why would it matter?
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:48 AM   #30  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontaikle View Post
Get strong and punch those people in the face.

Ok, I'm joking, but I know how you feel. It's been almost a year since I went super serious with the weight training and I'm glad to say the comments have pretty much stopped. Everyone around me realizes that I'm not going to get bulky lifting weights and instead they're all starting the do the same.

Even if I was going to bulk up, why would it matter?
Exactly!! I have people telling me I look skinny, lately. I say "Oh, that's funny... because a year ago you were worried I'd look too bulky." They say, "you're still lifting?!" Uhm Yes.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote