Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #1  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Default A planned "break"?

I'm so burnt out right now. I'd say probably stemming from not seeing any losses for over 3 weeks now, but from everything. I've been at this for 4 months now, to the DAY. I've been counting calories religiously for the last 76 days straight, working out regularly, and really just having a good chunk of my life revolve around this weight loss stuff.

On August 9th (a Thursday) DH and I are going (for our 6 year wedding anniversary) about an hour and a half away to a really cool ropes course that has 4 separate courses and takes about 3 to 4 hours to get through. I'm super excited about it. After we do that we are going to go to a nice lunch at a restaurant that was featured on Diners Drive-Ins and Dives (for anyone who knows that show). That day I'm not going to worry about things, not to mention 4 hours of physical activity earns me some extra calories.

Anyway, DH and I had been talking about taking a week to really kind of reset our eating. We've gotten into some convenience things, processed and packaged, and even some fast foods (most of the time fitting it into our calories, he doesn't really have to worry about it like I do, he's already at a very healthy weight). So we wanted to take a week to revamp things, get back to eating mostly whole foods etc., and were planning on starting it August 11th (taking August 10th to plan, grocery shop, and prepare foods for the week).

I'm excited about this and would like to spend that week not worrying about counting calories and recording every exercise I do, but focusing on just eating lots of vegetables, lean meats, some fruits, some legumes, and nothing processed, and just treating my body well. I'm talking not weighing myself or visiting any weight loss websites (including 3FC) or anything! But just trying to LIVE a healthy life that week, eat well, be active, be NORMAL!

So It'd be kind of a break, but it would be a healthy break, I think. I'm planning it a few weeks out because I know it will be very hard for me to not record all my food, count every calorie, and weigh myself obsessively.

Does this sound reasonable?
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:32 PM   #2  

Height: 5'5"

I think it sounds AMAZING! And the ropes course sounds insanely cool. What a great way to celebrate your anniversary. (And Happy Anniversary, BTW.)

The one concession I would suggest you make to the weight loss world, though, is to document the impact of that week on your weight and your measurements. If it works, it sounds like an amazing way to continue your journey. And if it doesn't work, it would be good to know right away. (Boring fine print: One week isn't necessarily enough time to really get solid data, even based on the cyclical variations of water weight in a woman's body. Your body could also adjust water levels based on the new regime, and get inaccurate numbers either way. But it will tell you something.)
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:05 PM   #3  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

I'm not eating in a calorie overage. And the week is to restart. I DO track. I feel like you didn't really read my post.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:11 PM   #4  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

That sounds awesome. Numbers crunching is seriously tiring and awful coupled with plateaus. The change in diet alone will probably result in some things changing, and in the spirit of "lifestyle not diet" if you don't feel like you can do what you're doing now every day for the rest of your life, well...

That ropes course sounds really cool - glad you and your husband are in this together as opposed to some cases where only one person is on board with giving a $#&@ about their health!
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:13 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

That sounds like a wonderful idea! And a great chance to practice "intuitive eating" giving your body more whole foods, and getting away from the packaged things. See what your body is craving instead of what you think you should eat. And since you've been eating on the low side, too, you can maybe give you body more nutrition, too.

If I were going away, I'd probably try the same thing (hello 45 day plateau!) but since I'm here in my routine I know the cals in everything anyway.

And you can always take it one meal at time. Just say I won't record breakfast. I won't record lunch. And worst case is you get to the end of day and wish you'd recorded, you can jot down what you ate.

You could try recording how the food made you feel instead of it's calories, like "energized, full until lunch time." "full and sleepy." "long slow meal with friends" etc.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

This would not work for me, it may for you, do what works best for you. I can eat whole foods and lot of vegies, nothing processed and still be eating too many calories. I know from personal experience that calorie counting is the way to go for me.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:45 PM   #7  

Height: 5'9"

I think it sounds like a worthwhile plan. A mental break from the rigors of calorie counting might help you more than you know. The last time I was stuck on a plateau I took a break for a few days (3 days), ate things I hadn't been eating, did not count it at all, and then went back to my old plan. It actually got things moving again. I didn't eat to excess, I just ate things that weren't on my plan, like a piece of fried chicken (just one drumstick), some stroganoff (just a small bit), etcetera. Eating without obsessively counting every calorie helped my mind to relax a little and destressed me about being so anal about my plan. When I went back on, I think it was easier to focus. And the fact that you are going to concentrate on whole foods is even better. I say go for it. Sometimes you need to shake it up a bit to get the ball rolling again. Have fun!
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:35 PM   #8  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

I think it sounds awesome! I personally don't calorie count since doing so makes me way too anxious. But granted, I'm still careful about being healthy choices, being calorie aware, and watching portions, and it sounds like that's the direction you want to go. It's been working out for me alright so far. This approach also allows me to remain focused on making healthier choices rather than trying to get the weight off as quickly or in the most convenient way as possible, a mindset that definitely made me fall off the wagon in the past. This time around, it's been easier for me since I feel like I'm more "normal" and less anal.

Good luck to you! Hope you enjoy this reboot.

Last edited by Elladorine; 07-22-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:06 PM   #9  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

The occasional break works for some, myself included, so long as we don't struggle with getting back on board after it. I think it might really do you good if you know yourself and don't believe it will cause more harm than good in the long run. One date never hurt anyone, but a week of celebrating is another matter, entirely. If you eat intuitively for the trip you may be fine. I'd still bring along a scale, myself, and correct or adjust my eating if it went more than two pounds above my weight before going, but that's just me

Last edited by Arctic Mama; 07-22-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:00 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 275/248/155

Height: 5'5"

It sounds like you plan to eat healthy for the week (whole foods, not junk) but not obsess about counting for just that week, right? If so, I think a one week break sounds good so long as you can stick to it. Some people have a hard time restarting come that Monday, first of the month, etc... so make sure you can handle it.

I think we all need a break every now and again. Who knows, it might be just what you need to break this plateau. Hope you enjoy your anniversary!
nicole8705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:36 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

Height: 5'8"

I think a short break might be exactly what you need. We all have to listen to our bodies. Yours is in a plateau and your mind is fried from the constant dieting. So it might be good to just shake things up a bit.

Just be sure to return to weight loss when you return. It is nice to take a break but it takes commitment to go back to plan when your break is over.

Have fun!
KittyKatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:49 AM   #12  
Dedicated Yogi

S/C/G: 269/188/160

Height: 5'8 1/2 :)

your plan sounds good!

i found myself becoming obsessed with calorie counting and keeping track- which in turn would cause me to binge and over eat. it would stress me out, make me anxious, etc.

the last week or so- i weigh daily, i KNOW the foods that i should be eating/quantities- and i am about 2-3 lbs lighter this monday, then i was last monday. mind you i am coming off a re-gain.

i really do think that this intuitive eating thing could work for you-- what's the worst that could happen? it could just be good practice for maintenance!
stimkovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:13 AM   #13  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Default re:

What's a "ropes" course?

I don't know, extended breaks make me leery. I just got back from one where i fully intended to eat healthy and started to fall apart during the middle of the week. I gained 4 lbs which is not a lot, but it's 4lbs further away from where I was before. That's me though, and maybe you'll be different.

I just read someone post here maybe yesterday that "getting back on the wagon is harder than staying on the wagon" and that definitely applies to me. Since being on break for a week, I've found I'm more hungry this week and I've been fighting off that hunger ever since I returned. (kind of like when I first started restricting calories)

If it's truly what you want and need, why not, just realize it may put you further away from your weight loss goal. You may stay the same, or you may lose too, who knows?
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:15 AM   #14  

S/C/G: SW:290 CW:ticker GW:189

Height: 5'7

I support this lol. Mixing things up is what we should do when stuck. it gets things moving. Besides your not sitting on a beach eating for 12 hrs, Your working out. Do it! And enjoy your vacation.
Breannaj1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:50 AM   #15  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

A break sounds like it will do you good.

But what are you wanting a break from? The drudgery of calorie counting or the tiresomeness of always being in calorie restriction?

If you can handle the counting, it might be really good for your body for you to eat maintenance calories for the week (and do all the healthy food stuff you're planning). If it's the counting that's wearing you out, then giving intuitive eating a try might be the go.
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote