Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Why am I so bloated?

I know it's slightly gross, but I thought maybe there was someone out there experiencing the same thing.

Some days, my stomach swells a great deal- I've gained as much as five inches. Trouble is, I have no idea why I would be so bloated. Fiber might do it, but I'm not eating that much fiber (about enough). And if it was just water, I think it would show on the scale.

Help! Any ideas?
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:26 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 187/167/135

Height: 5'4

Usually I feel bloated when I've had too many carbs.. Maybe try lowering your carb intake a bit, and see if that helps?

Also, some foods (like beans, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, sprouts, onions and garlic) are known to cause bloating, so you might want to make sure that you're not overconsuming these foods either.. Other than that, I'd suggest drinking plenty of water and (gradually) increasing the amount of fiber rich foods hope that helps!
pinkpendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:31 PM   #3  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

What have you been eating? It's hard to know without knowing what your diet is like.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:51 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/177/175

Height: 5'7

I was recently visibly bloated for a few days. It ended up being a terrrrrible stomach virus. Does your stomach hurt? If it does and if it's an option, you might consider a trip to the doctor.
scout83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

No, it doesn't actually hurt- it's just uncomfortable. As far as what I'm eating- nothing bizarre. E.g. some salad with nuts and cheese, salsa and rice crackers, Amy's frozen meals (tortilla with black beans-yum), some sushi, a bit of indian food. I'm wondering if it's maybe either dairy or carbs, but I eat those regularly and don't know if I've ever been quite so puffy.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:05 PM   #6  
Not settling this time

S/C/G: HW/CW/GW 278/149/130

Height: 5'3

Hmm. There could be many reasons. Sudden bloating is a common symptom for IBS which can be irritated when eating healthy foods like fresh fruit, nuts and seeds because of the way they ferment in the body.
Prim2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:24 AM   #7  
Film Fan

S/C/G: Top wt: 207; Now: under 150

Height: 5'8"

I had a friend in a similar situation. She experienced stomach bloating and discomfort for no apparent reason (ie, with many kinds of foods, even ones that are not supposed to cause bloating). She was ultimately diagnosed with an H. pylori infection. H. pylori is a very common stomach bacterium that can cause some people digestive issues, such as bloating, nausea, and even (if untreated for a long time) ulcers. My friend went on a course of antibiotics and has had NO bloating since then. Anyway, I suggest you google "H. pylori" and see if it sounds like it might apply in your case. Good luck!

Last edited by mackinac19; 08-03-2012 at 09:25 AM.
mackinac19 is offline   Reply With Quote