How long did it take for you to start loosing weight?

• Today was day 4 of my changes. It has been hard and I've had a lot of cravings that I have fought but 4 days now with no pop and no fast food (huge for me)! I wont say I've done perfect on my eating but I've been pretty darn close! However I haven't lost a single pound I know it's only been 4 days (tomorrow 5) but I thought something would be showing a change by now. No weight loss I don't feel any different except deprived lol. It's so frustrating when I see people who lost weight in the first week some even 5 to 10 lbs! And at 275 I thought it would come of fairly quickly in the beginning.. So when did everyone start to see some changes? I was hoping I would at least start getting more energy! Help I'm going too stick with it but I'm very discouraged right now
  • Quote: It's great that you've made some healthy changes to your diet, but without knowing more about what plan you're following it's hard to give more specific advice. If you're not following a plan and simply eliminating pop and fast food... that's a great start, but that in and of itself isn't going to guarantee weight loss.

Are you keeping track of how many calories you're eating? For me that's always the most accurate barometer of whether or not I'm going to lose weight. If I eat between 1200 and 1500 calories a day, I'll lose weight. If I eat more, I won't.

I know the discouragement is hard, but if you're not losing weight there's always a reason behind it. You may be eating more than you think you are, there may be some sort of underlying medical condition, and so on. If you think of it as a problem to solve and not as a personal failing, it may become easier for you.

Good luck and hang in there!

I was going to say A LOT of this.

If you don't know how much you are eating, calorie wise, there's no way to know if you are actually in a caloric deficit!

If you are in a deficit you absolutely WILL lose weight. Even if you don't want to count calories long term, I would highly suggest doing it for a couple days so you FOR SURE know how much you are eating.

Keep at it. And try to find a plan where you won't feel deprived. Deprivation can be a slippery slope right back into old habits, especially when you aren't seeing results. I know it's cliche, but it really is a lifestyle change. If you are eating in a way that is not sustainable long term, perhaps try to find a way of eating that allows for a calorie deficit but doesn't leaving you feeling deprived!
  • Quote: It's great that you've made some healthy changes to your diet, but without knowing more about what plan you're following it's hard to give more specific advice. If you're not following a plan and simply eliminating pop and fast food... that's a great start, but that in and of itself isn't going to guarantee weight loss.

Are you keeping track of how many calories you're eating? For me that's always the most accurate barometer of whether or not I'm going to lose weight. If I eat between 1200 and 1500 calories a day, I'll lose weight. If I eat more, I won't.

I know the discouragement is hard, but if you're not losing weight there's always a reason behind it. You may be eating more than you think you are, there may be some sort of underlying medical condition, and so on. If you think of it as a problem to solve and not as a personal failing, it may become easier for you.

Good luck and hang in there!
    WELL SAID.....! I totally agree. Are you keeping track of every bite you eat??? I keep a VERY detailed log of every calorie, gram of fat and every carb I eat. It is tedious and annoying, but it truly does work for me. Biggest factor in starting any kind of new eating plan is to just stick with it! You'll get there "NO worries!"
  • You may have been gaining weight before, and now you're just eating enough to maintain.

There's no way to know unless you meticulously track your calories until you can get a good handle on what each food contains.

You can do it!
  • Cutting out pop and junk food are a great start!

Like LockItUp pointed out, you might have been eating enough to be gaining weight and now are eating enough to maintain.

Counting calories (if only for a little while) is a great way to see how much you are actually eating. Some foods are really dense in calories, and sometimes it's hard to have a realistic gauge on what a portion size should be. So seeing the calories from the foods we eat every day in black and white can really help.

You can try making some other changes gradually too. Maybe add some exercise, use a smaller plate to make portions smaller, switch to healthier versions of your favorite foods. Small changes will add up, give it time.
  • As people have said, everyone is different! I didn't see a loss until my 4th week of dieting and exercise. I started 1st of June and while I did have two weeks of no motivation to exercise, I was still eating better and watching my foods and it wasn't until the last few days in June that I finally saw a loss.

I did the same as you at the start. My problem was fizzy drinks/junk and fast food. I cut down on all of these. In saying that I haven't had a fizzy drink or fast food in weeks now. But I would still have some junk food every now and then again. I'm currently on a challenge to go no junk food for 21 days. As well as doing this, I was calorie counting. I soon gave it up because I found it discouraging but from when I did it, I have an idea of my foods now. Since I have introduced weight lifting to my exercise routine at the start of July, it seems to be a steady loss of a pound a week.

Hang in there! I honestly thought I'd loss really quickly, but it just isn't as easy as that. It's a lot of work and you need to keep focused and be motivated! If there was one thing I could suggest is take measurements. I take them once a month. While there was only a loss of 1lb-2lbs in June, I had lost 3.75inches. It is a small number but so was the scales. Sometimes your losses could be showing in the inches. Also, do tell us your diet plan. Maybe there are one of two things we could suggest to help you out and get you on the right path.
  • My weight on the scale has a lot to do with my monthly cycle.
    If I am eating healthy and exercising, this is my average weight loss pattern. I lose weight or stay the through TOM. Then a few days later I stay within 2-3lbs until I reach ovulation. Then I lose rapidly for a about 4 days, with smaller losses until it all starts over again.
  • I personally can't diet without counting calories, because I am no good at estimating what a normal amount is. Perhaps you're still eating maintenance calories? That would explain it.