Please i need help

You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to
  • Part of the reason the IP diet works is because you pay so much money you're heavily invested in sticking to the program...

What I don't like about the IP program is that it does not educate dieters on how fat loss works instead it tells them that ketosis is the key to losing weight as it lets your pancreas rest. I'm not making this up folks.

Anyways to the OP I would advise you to educate yourself. You may want to stick with the IP program or you may not but if you want to lose weight and keep it off educating yourself about how fat loss works and more importantly how YOUR body functions in regards to different foods is key.

Goodluck.
  • I use a combination of myfitnesspal, freedieting, a fancy pedometer called a fitbit (bodymediafit and bodybugg are pretty cool options too) and the support here on 3fatchicks for my weight loss. I can tell you that when I count my calories and come here for support I lose weight on a regular basis...now I am not saying the scale goes down every week. Sometimes the scale irritates me bc I know that it owes me a few pounds, but if I keep going at it I get a nice woosh and the scale drops down to where I know it should be.
  • Quote: Part of the reason the IP diet works is because you pay so much money you're heavily invested in sticking to the program...

What I don't like about the IP program is that it does not educate dieters on how fat loss works instead it tells them that ketosis is the key to losing weight as it lets your pancreas rest. I'm not making this up folks.

Anyways to the OP I would advise you to educate yourself. You may want to stick with the IP program or you may not but if you want to lose weight and keep it off educating yourself about how fat loss works and more importantly how YOUR body functions in regards to different foods is key.

Goodluck.
    hi john, this is why i have been so worried. i am familiar with ketosis and i feel if i did that small of a screw up or a vodka water. will my body completely go out of ketosis and start all over again from the beginning. not understanding this diet that well. why do you need to stay in ketosis till 80% of your diet goal is reached with only protein and 2c. of vegetable. seems a bit difficult don't you think.
  • Even if you go out of keto, you can get right back in with two or three days of moderate to high fat, moderate protein, and very low carb eating. I promises it isn't the end of the world

Also, once the body is well adapted to ketosis I have found I go back into it much easier and more quickly.
  • so what your telling me is if i have one drink i go out of keto and have lost 3 days? that is what the counsellor says to me.
  • Quote: Part of the reason the IP diet works is because you pay so much money you're heavily invested in sticking to the program...
    Quote:

Exactly.
    What I don't like about the IP program is that it does not educate dieters on how fat loss works instead it tells them that ketosis is the key to losing weight as it lets your pancreas rest.
    This whole idea that our organs need a "rest" doesn't make much sense. Do our hearts need a rest from beating? Do our lungs need a rest from breathing? The reason people develop diabetes is not because their pancreases don't get a needed rest, but because they develop insulin resistance (often due to excess weight) or have predisposing genes.
  • Quote: so what your telling me is if i have one drink i go out of keto and have lost 3 days? that is what the counsellor says to me.
    Going out of ketosis doesn't mean you've "lost" any weight-loss days if you've been eating at a caloric deficit the whole time.

F.
  • not sure why i'm barely losing weight if i am following the diet exactly. the first week i lost 5 lbs. and she stated thats why i didnt the next week. not getting her .
  • I did IP Feb through May. I lost an average of 1.5lbs per week. I had about 30 lbs to lose. Some weeks I lost 2-3 lbs and some weeks I gained. Yes, gained. Being 100% on program.

A ketogenic diet does not mean you will lose more weight on a regular basis faster than any other diet. People get misinformed because of the big loss the first week. That loss is mainly your body getting rid of water weight that was previously needed to help digest carbs. Now since you are not eating carbs you no longer need that extra water. Hense a bigger loss. After that first week a 1-3lb loss is the norm for women.

People secret insulin when they think about food. It happens no matter what we do. It's about being human. Your pancreas never really rests. It's not used as much as before but it is still being used.

After phasing out of the diet I found that I was way more sensitive to carbs. I didn't like this. Not that I wanted to go back to eating the way I did before but having 1/2 a cup of rice at dinner made the scale go up. I then switched from IP to calorie counting/whole foods and now my body is getting back to normal. I'm no longer super sensitive to sugar or carbs.

It's a big decision to keep paying hundreds of dollars for a program where you can lose the same amount of weight for free. 2 lbs a week on IP is normal, check the IP board. Many people lose the same not on a ketogenic diet and just having a calorie deficit. Would I rather feel uber restricted (700-900 calories) and pay tons of money or have what i want in moderation (1200-1300 calories) for free with the same loss? It became clear to me after spending over $1000.
  • Any diet plan is ultimately about restricting calories. Usually anything low carb/high protein eliminates the calorie-dense items the dieter was previously eating and replaces them with filling proteins that fill them up on less calories.

People have gained weight on these kinds of diets, simply because you can't eat everything in sight (even if your carbs are low) and lose or maintain your weight.

There are other benefits to a low carb diet that go beyond weight loss. Generally it's easier to stay satiated, for example.

You can eat twinkies all day and lose weight if you wanted to. It's not the best idea because you'll probably feel like crap and feel hungry all the time, but it can still be done.

I strictly counted calories to lose most of my weight. When I started weight training more I adopted a high protein diet, but I still lost weight just eating whatever I wanted (including pizza, fast food, etc.) because I watched my portion sizes. That worked for me, but it may not necessarily work for you. I honestly didn't use much more than google during my weight loss: I would just google: "calories in x" to find the information I needed from different sites.
  • Quote: I did IP Feb through May. I lost an average of 1.5lbs per week. I had about 30 lbs to lose. Some weeks I lost 2-3 lbs and some weeks I gained. Yes, gained. Being 100% on program.

A ketogenic diet does not mean you will lose more weight on a regular basis faster than any other diet. People get misinformed because of the big loss the first week. That loss is mainly your body getting rid of water weight that was previously needed to help digest carbs. Now since you are not eating carbs you no longer need that extra water. Hense a bigger loss. After that first week a 1-3lb loss is the norm for women.

People secret insulin when they think about food. It happens no matter what we do. It's about being human. Your pancreas never really rests. It's not used as much as before but it is still being used.

After phasing out of the diet I found that I was way more sensitive to carbs. I didn't like this. Not that I wanted to go back to eating the way I did before but having 1/2 a cup of rice at dinner made the scale go up. I then switched from IP to calorie counting/whole foods and now my body is getting back to normal. I'm no longer super sensitive to sugar or carbs.

It's a big decision to keep paying hundreds of dollars for a program where you can lose the same amount of weight for free. 2 lbs a week on IP is normal, check the IP board. Many people lose the same not on a ketogenic diet and just having a calorie deficit. Would I rather feel uber restricted (700-900 calories) and pay tons of money or have what i want in moderation (1200-1300 calories) for free with the same loss? It became clear to me after spending over $1000.
    thanks so much for helping me with this. if you don't mind , i'm kinda clueless to this diet thing. can you tell me a bit about how you went about calorie counting and the whole dieting or regular eating in life. thanks so much.
  • I never said you'd lose three days of weight progress, I said it would take three days to get back into ketosis, as that is the average time it takes for the metabolism to change up it's preferential fuel, again. That is completely independent of what your weight may actually be doing.

I highly, HIGHLY suggest you read up on ketosis and get your hands on as much information as possible, as you seem to be doing a diet without understand the nutrition or physiology involved in it. Atkins New Diet Revolution is good, the Perfect Health Diet is excellent, many different ways of eating utilize ketosis or ketogenic fasts and explain the science behind it (or in the case of the Perfect Health Diet, why you may not want to persist in long term ketosis unless the health benefits outweigh the disadvantages, it depends on the person).

Do a bunch of reading and pick a plan. If you want to stick to Ideal Protein then do, but do stop wasting money to have someone berate you instead of educating you. I'd say 90% of the successful maintainers around this site, myself included, are doing free programs with no centers or support. There's some weightwatchers, JC/nutrisystem peeps, and yes, IP. But I don't think it is a coincidence that those who are keeping it off aren't paying for food or support. Just something to think about
  • [QUOTE=sontaikle;4409496]Any diet plan is ultimately about restricting calories. Usually anything low carb/high protein eliminates the calorie-dense items the dieter was previously eating and replaces them with filling proteins that fill them up on less calories.

People have gained weight on these kinds of diets, simply because you can't eat everything in sight (even if your carbs are low) and lose or maintain your weight.
    (Quote)

thanks so much. i generally don't eat alot in general. just trying to get baby weight off. any advice on calories and protein would be awesome. thanks so much.
  • it's really about what works for you. Everyone is different. I liked that I started with IP because it gave me structure. Now, I feel i'm able to handle this weight loss thing on my own. So far anyways, and with the help of this site among others And I wanted to do something more long term and sustainable. IP recommends buying their food for snacks when you get to maintenance. It's not needed but of course they recommend it.

Like Arctic said, read up on the plans and find what's right for you.

If you want to look more into calorie counting i'd suggest going to a site like my fitnesspal and make an account with them. They'll suggest a calorie allotment for you and that's where you will log all your food. They even have an app for smartphones. You can still do low carb on a calorie counting diet. Many people feel better when they limit their carbs and find they have less cravings. It's all up to you

You don't have that much weight to lose and we are all here to help And congrats on the little one!!
  • Quote: any advice on calories and protein would be awesome. thanks so much.
    I think you're making this way too complicated. Just eat less. If you don't lose any weight after several weeks (highly doubtful), eat a little less than that. And so on.

You can find the caloric contents of any food by Googling the food + calories.

Freelance