Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-12-2012, 02:24 PM   #16  

Height: 5'4

I am going to Las Vegas next week for my wedding and honeymoon, and have vowed NOT to overdo it! I used to be horrible about gorging myself while on vacation, but the fitter I get the less pleasant that sounds to me.

I work hard for this rockin bikini body and I want to enjoy it for more than 1/2 of a day on my vacation! I've already set aside some ground rules for myself that should help minimize the damage;

Prior to the wedding (2 1/2 days) - I am going to continue to eat on plan and workout in the mornings. Lots of veggies and protein, no alcohol, and eating when I'm hungry... not just because food is there and looks good. Besides, nothing can motivate me to stay on plan more than that slinky little wedding gown I'll be wearing!

During the wedding dinner, I have told myself to limit my drinks and to only have drinks with zero calorie mixers (no 700-calorie blended margaritas for this girl!). I'm also going to focus on all the family and friends there, and eat slowly and mindfully... and think about the lingerie I'll be wearing later and how I don't want to be bloated on my wedding night.

After the wedding I have 2 1/2 days in Vegas to just relax. My game plan is to again limit the alcohol to just a couple of drinks during the day and make my own drinks with calorie free mixers and hard alcohol (I already have some zero calorie margarita mix and sugar-free drink mixes packed), drink plenty of water, hit the gym each morning, keep my meals clean during the day, and savor really special dinners - splitting dishes with my husband and sharing deserts.

The main thing is that I don't want to spend my honeymoon covered up in 100+ degree weather because I gorged on food and alcohol when I should be in a bikini and feeling comfortable. I want to enjoy all my friends and family and be happy when I see all the photos from the trip. Besides, I'd much rather have a couple of pounds of water weight to deal with at the end of it rather than 10 pounds of serious weight gain.

I work too hard day-to-day to feel good about my body, and if I abused my body in the name of "deserving it" what kind of sense would that make? We spend so much time preparing for swimsuit season and then turn around and toss it in the trash over some french fries and ice cream... it just boggles my mind.

Thank you for making this post, really. Its just another reminder to stick to my plan!
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:41 PM   #17  

S/C/G: HW 212/148/130~174/139/130

It is totally scary how fast the weight comes on and how slowly it comes off. The good news is, you know what to do to get back on track and get those few extra pounds off.

My attitude for a vacation or "staycation" is that I am going to eat what I want to eat and enjoy myself. However, that means really choosing what will be worth the calories. For example, a chocolate bar and soda at the airport while waiting for a flight? Not worth it. A bag of chips and a sweet tea from a gas station during a road trip? Not worth it. However, a local specialty food from a bakery, ice cream shop, restaurant - basically something I can't get in my hometown or a convenience store - you betcha! I love to try new foods and local specialties. Yes, there will be a weight gain to show for it, but for me, it's all part of the sightseeing and vacation experience. As long as I get back on track when I get home (not that I won't bemoan the extra weight), at the end of the day, it's all good. I know that if I deprive myself completely, I'll fall off the wagon altogether. So, it's good to have occasional treats and off-plan times to look forward to.
guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #18  
Empress/Queen

Good advice on this thread. One of those kinds of periods is why I am STILL trying to get off 20 pounds following years of maintaining (with fluctuations) a major weight loss.

It absolutely can happen but it absolutely can be reversed when we get back on track.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:44 PM   #19  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

I am sure that I would do the exact same thing if I gave myself 2 weeks to eat whatever I want. At most, I can give myself one meal or one evening every couple of weeks.

I have (I think) finally accepted that I can never, ever again just go back to eating whatever I want in whatever amounts I want. I have to always be conscious of what foods and amounts I need to keep my body healthy and at a healthy weight. Lapses will result in weight gain. Quickly. That will then take much longer to come off again.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:29 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

Height: 5'8"

Sounds like my last two-week vacation. That trip really set me back both physically and emotionally. I felt so bloated and my pants didn't fit well. I also ended up with intense cravings for three weeks after the trip, as I struggled to get back to a good emotional place. I felt so rotten about myself after two weeks where I binged. I exercised, but struggled mightily with the food side.

All I can say is think carefully before letting yourself go hog wild. It may not just affect your weight, but also your emotional health as well. Last week, during a five-day mini-vacation, I made every effort to fight the temptation to eat whatever I wanted and I succeeded. I felt very proud. It was good to come back feeling no guilt.
KittyKatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:49 PM   #21  
Laura

Location: The beautiful Pacific Northwest! Tacoma, Washington

S/C/G: 330/268/150

Height: 5'7"

Default i feel ya

the saturday before last was my birthday and we also had relatives coming from out of state to stay with us from thursday thru sunday. for 4 days i ate and drank pretty much whatever i wanted. And it cost me 5 pounds. when i stepped on the scale and saw that i was so disappointed. i had been doing so well before that! the very idea of birthday cake makes me wanna upchuck now. but i learned my lesson! never take more than 1 free day and still don't go hog wild!
Chubbygirl253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:58 PM   #22  
Feed the muscle

S/C/G: 225/ticker/145

Height: 5'9

This is me RIGHT NOW. I've been eating crap for about two weeks, but I've been working out still so I haven't gained anything, but my weight loss has definitely STALLED. How do I get back on track

Last edited by meltaway; 07-13-2012 at 10:59 PM.
meltaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:39 AM   #23  

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltaway View Post
This is me RIGHT NOW. I've been eating crap for about two weeks, but I've been working out still so I haven't gained anything, but my weight loss has definitely STALLED. How do I get back on track

We can all come here and ask for help and support and usually are recieved with open arms, but seriously... when does personal accountability come into play?

If you KNOW you're eating "crap" then stop.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:16 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 214/190/140

Height: 5'5"

I had a week of complete indulgence when I reached target - and it was horrible! I felt so bloated and listless and my energy levels totally plummeted. I'm NOT doing that again, lol. A few treats yes, but total moderation for me from now on. I'm NOT undoing all my hard work!

Last edited by Elliemar; 07-14-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Elliemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:57 AM   #25  

S/C/G: See ticker

Height: 5"3

Thanks for the heads up, will def keep it in mind for my next vacation!
Wheresmychin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:49 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 175/150/139. Ultimate Goal:132

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltaway View Post
Go to the gym and have a long amazing workout. It seriously takes ONE gym session to feel like you've got it back!
GotothegymOKAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:23 PM   #27  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JossFit View Post
We can all come here and ask for help and support and usually are recieved with open arms, but seriously... when does personal accountability come into play?

If you KNOW you're eating "crap" then stop.

Wow, such compassion is overwhelming.

Seriously Anyone who really understands chronic weight loss struggles, realizes that "personal accountability" is only one small part of the equation and is much easier said than done.

One of the reasons is that we're "taught" to fail at weight loss and then blame ourselves for failing at personal accountability.

We all learn best by observation - watching how everyone else behaves and then copying that behavior (which is why a parent saying "do as I say, not as I do" is ridiculous advice - we all learn to do what everyone else does).

A trivial example is the ubiquitous "employee manual." Most of us have had jobs in which we had to read an employee manual, and we usually learned pretty quickly that when the manual conflicted with common practice, we learned that the "real" rule was to do what everyone else did.

Weight loss is a lot like that, because we're essentially "taught to fail and blame ourselves."

30 years of "personal accountability" didn't help me lose weight in the long run. In the long-run what helped was realizing that I followed failing patterns, not because I was lazy, crazy, stupid or selfish - it was because I had been "taught" to fail.

I had to unlearn the habits that I learned by watching others fail at weight loss.

Failure rates for weight loss are in the high 90th percentile. This doesn't jive with "personal accountability" being to blame. 95 to 98 percent of the population refused to be accountable? I don't think so.

It can be extremely difficult to understand why we make the same mistakes over and over again - when we're taught to do so, and taught to blame ourselves for it.

The social "rule" is to diet by methods that are unsuccessful, and to blame ourselves as lazy, crazy, stupid or selfish and to have other thoughts about those behaviors that reinforce the unsuccessful pattern.

We have "social rules" to dieting that have virtually become rituals so ingrained, we don't even know that we've learned the behavior.

It's customary to "eat whatever we want" on vacation - we're taught that we're entitled to it (but we're taught to hate ourselves when we get back to our normal lives and see the damage we've done).

It's customary when having as much as a single off-plan bite to binge until the next appropriate "starting over" point - when we get back from vacation, or tomorrow morning if it's early in the week - Monday if it's later in the week, the new year if it happens to be past mid-October, or when we've gained all the weight back and then some.

Personal accountability is about more than blaming oneself and having perfect control over our eating. It's also about understanding the bigger picture, and understanding that when our behavior seems out of control even to ourselves, to try to understand why we're having difficulty taking control. Is it really because we lack personal accountability or have we learned behavior that we don't even realize we've learned.

Yes, bottom line is taking control, and changeing behavior, but often some "unlearning" has to take place first. It's not about "blaming" society - or even ourselves, it's about changing behaviors that have become so ingrained, we don't even realize why we're doing them, or why it's difficult to stop.

It should be easy, we tell ourselves to "just do it," but obviously it's not that easy or the weight loss failure rate wouldn't be in the 90th percentile.

Understanding that there's social pressure to "do it wrong" ironically does make it easier to do it right.

It also helps to understand the "addictive" properties of junk food. The book "The End of Overeating" by David Kessler does a great job of that. It's difficult to get off the salt/fat/sugar train because those foods actually set off brain-chemicals very similar to addictive drugs. In fact, cocaine-addicted rats will choose these foods OVER cocaine.

We have bigger, more sophisticated brains than rats, but our body still reacts to these foods similarly. The primitive portions of the brain are very difficult to override, even with higher brain function, especially when we believe doing so is supposed to be "easy."

Doing what we know we need to do, when our body, brain chemicals, and social conditioning are screaming for us to do the opposite, is harder than just about any other accomplishment possible.

I've succeeded in all areas of my life except weight loss, and yet I've put more energy into weight loss than all the other successes in my life combined. Unfortunately, I was spinning my wheels because I always tried to do weight loss the way I was taught to... and I always failed - because most of what I was taught was just plain wrong, or so distorted that it became meaningless.

"How can I stop" is a legitimate question, and often just having others say "this is how I stopped, you can too" can help make that "just do it" no longer seem impossible.

But we also have a social ritual that says needing help for weight loss is shameful, and we "should" be able to do it all on our own, with no help (and with a great deal of hindrance) from everyone else.

It doesn't have to be that way.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:02 PM   #28  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
Wow, such compassion is overwhelming.

Seriously Anyone who really understands chronic weight loss struggles, realizes that "personal accountability" is only one small part of the equation and is much easier said than done.
True, I am not the worlds most compassionate person, but I am still quite caring, I assure you. I'm just more of a "tough love" kind of person, and sometimes people respond better to direct language.

You are always very supportive and do your best to cheer everyone on, which is commendable, but that may not help everyone. Some people never realize their true potential or really push themselves because they are always told they are perfect the way they are and are a unique snowflake when that isn't what they need.

When you post your personal struggles on an internet forum you open yourself up to whatever responses come your way, and you can either take it to heart or let it roll off your back. I don't think saying that someone should look at themselves FIRST in an effort to change their behavior is an inappropriate response, and if it helps someone I am thrilled. If not, they can just ignore it. Its nothing for anyone to get upset over.

What I DO take a bit of offense to is the implication that I don't understand chronic weight struggles. I battle with the binge eating impulses each day, and it took me over 3 years to lose the 60+ pounds that I did. I know what it feels like to be seemingly helpless against food and to be stuck in a body that made me feel imprisoned. Sure, I haven't struggled for 30+ years or had to lose hundreds of pounds, but that's because I started to look at MYSELF and realized that I was the one putting the food in my mouth day after day and I stopped. The M&Ms weren't jumping into my face while I was sleeping.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:50 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 158/158/125

Great thread. This always would happen to me when I would relapse from binge eating. I would eat fine and lose weight and then I would snap and binge for a week, thinking "no way am I going to gain that much, I'm okay with gaining 2 lbs, no way will I gain more than that anyway, if it's more, I'll lose it easily cause it's probably just water weight" but no. It stays. and it sucks. Because losing it is obviously 1000x harder than gaining it
sensualappeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:07 PM   #30  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Different people respond to different types of motivation.

While I would like to win I won't kill myself to win. On the other hand I HATE to lose and will kill myself to prevent losing. So my fear of loss is greater than my desire of gain. This is probably why I was able to wake up at six AM to workout before work when I was 300 lbs but now I can't get myself to do it.

Some people will work out better if the coach is screaming at them to work harder. Others will respond negatively to a person screaming at them.

Some people will respond to a person telling them to stop whining and put down the fork while others will start crying and eat even more.

Anyways. I love my dog. What a great dog I have.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote