New fat chick on the block!

• Hello everyone,

I am Sherry and am new here. I have really been inspired by how much some of the members of this site have achieved and I hope I can be as successful.

I am not good at dieting, I am weak willed and as a great man once said " I can resist anything but temptation". I have tried to do this before and have failed but this time I really want to see it through.

I gave birth to my darling daughter in 2009 just over three months prematurely. I had slightly high blood pressure pre-pregnancy and was being monitored for it, but it was not necessary to take any medication. however at 26 wks into the pregnancy I developed severe pre-eclampsia, bubs and I were both critically Ill but we both made it

Unfortunately the blood pressure has remained high after this episode and I am currently medicated for it quite heavily. If I can lose weight then it could really have a positive effect on my blood pressure. Also, my partner and I are getting married in August 2013 Nd I really want to be able to look at the pictures and not wince!

Sorry about the over indulgent loooooong post but thought I would give a little back ground.

Today I went to the chemist and got weighed on their scales as mine are mot accurate, and I was shocked by the result. The print out reads as follows

Weight 15st 4lb / 97.3kg

Height 5' 3.7" / 1.62m

B.M.I. 37.1

Obviously I was fully dressed and wearing trainers, plus I have my period atm so that may account for a few pounds but I have ALOT of work to do!

I look forward to sharing the ups and downs of weight loss with you all......lets hope there are more downs than ups (with regards what the scales say at least)!!
  • Welcome Sherry! I wish you the very best in improving your health for good!
  • Thanks for the welcome Arctic, I can see from your ticker you are doing brilliantly well in your weight loss mission, I hope I can summon up your will power!
  • keep coming here, it definitely helps! i don't know if your doctor has any specific program for you, but the majority of people here have done well on simply counting calories. myfitnesspal.com is a website that helps you (and also a phone app)
  • Hi Sherry! I'm getting married Sept 1, 2013, so I know what it's like to get your butt in gear to be photo/wedding ready. In addition to myfitnesspal.com, getting a fitbit has worked wonders for me. I'm walking my way to a healthier me by counting calories on fitbit.com. Low carb has also been a blessing.
  • Hi Valalltogether!

At the moment I am trying to keep things pretty simple, reduce portion sizes and be aware of carbs more.......jeez I just love those pesky carbs!! Trying to cut out the rubbish I used to graze on between meals and replace it with fruit if I am desperate. If I am able to walk somewhere than I am doing, went to my mum's house today and walking there and back was an hours round trip so I am trying to move more. The idea is to walk and get my body used to being more active for a few months, then when the weather gets cold in October time, I will join a gym and start a proper exercise programme. That's the plan so far but I have to admit I am totally making it up as I go along!

Thanks for the tips regarding the apps, I will definately check those out, anything that keeps my motivation up is a good thing! I am off on holiday to Spain in a fortnight so I think things might go a little pear-shaped then, but I will try to be as sensible as I can without denying myself some lovely tapas and Sangria! You're doing great with your weight loss, right on target to ba a 'sexy witch' at halloween!!
  • Hi Carbstart - those carbs are so evil but so delicious!! I could not cut them out completely but I can reduce and limit my carb intake. I used to have two slices of bread for brekkie, a sandwich or jacket potato for lunch and then potatoes, rice or pasta as a side to my main meal.......that's a lot of carbs and I have seen the error of my ways! Congratulations on your forthcoming marriage, I think it is a good incentive to stick to the game plan! Thanks for the tip re. fitbit.com, I will take a look!

Lockitup Thankyou for the welcome, everyone here is so friendly