Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #16  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JossFit View Post
Listen to this lady! Seriously, she and I both talk up weight training ad nauseum, but it works. I'm not talking "I lift 10 pound dumbbells in an effort to "tone"", but some real ***-kicking hard core heart pumping HEAVY stuff. I change my workouts every week focusing primarily on weight training and I have NEVER hit a plateau. Ever.

You said you exercise "vigorously" for 30 minutes, but what does that mean? If you have been running hard for 30 minutes 5 times a week, that is fantastic, but your body has likely adapted to it. You can try sprinting (like Arctic Mama suggested) trying a spin class, using some new equipment (the stair machine is my personal favorite) trying out kettlebells, CrossFit, different workout splits, circuit training, Body Pump classes... the things you can do are endless but the common theme is that you need to challenge your body.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten... right?
Agreed. Short of going to a doctor to look in to my issue (I'm considering having another round of blood work done, since my last check was done almost 2 years ago.), it seems I really need to change my workout.

Right now, I do hard intervals on the elliptical for 30 minutes, and sometimes a 10 minute cool down on the treadmill. I'd love to see what your (and anyone else's here) personal workout plan is like, to see if what I'm doing really is enough. I'm looking for a balance of intensity, as well as sustainability. (I used to have a personal trainer who would run me ragged twice a week, for an hour each time. I could only keep it up for 3 months before it took a toll).
stunzorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:13 PM   #17  

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliana77 View Post
I think you should increase calories, actually. How tall are you? Have you calculated your BMR?

I'm averaging 15-1600 calories/day lately with working out 3-4 days per week, and lose about a pound a week.

If your body isn't getting enough fuel for what you are putting it through, it can cause you to plateau.
I am 5'1" and 160 calories. My BMR is 1534. Since I probably average around 1250 a day, I figured I was doing good on calories Especially since I was losing steadily at this number before I took a maintenance break (...which ended up being a year). I hear your metabolism drops if you are a person who has had significant weight loss in your life. This might account for how much it is sucking to lose weight right now..
stunzorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #18  

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunzorz View Post
I'd love to see what your (and anyone else's here) personal workout plan is like, to see if what I'm doing really is enough.
Honestly, my personal program is not for most people. I have been weight training and doing Crossfit for years, in addition to combatives training, heavy Olympic lifting, HIIT training, ruck marching and survival training (I'm military) etc. My workouts put most male athletes' workouts to shame and could knock out a horse.

The point is that the workouts I do are continually challenging for ME; I switch them up each week and don't allow my body to adapt to them which is a principal that anyone can apply to their own programs.
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote