Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-09-2012, 01:31 PM   #1  
God answers prayers!

S/C/G: 188/164/135

Height: 5'4

Default Vacations...

I will be going on vacation at the end of the month and I want to be able to enjoy my vacation... What do you all eat while you are on vacation? Is it ok to eat regular meals for a week and then go back on the diet when you get home? Thanks!!
cbressler1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 184/173.9/145

Height: 5'2"

I just got back from vacation, myself. I suggest just trying to keep active while on vacation, and dont' go overboard on the goodies. I tried to keep the mindset of 'maintaining' rather than 'losing' this week, and tried to keep myself active by walking or helping out my mom with paitining, etc, so that if/when I do eat 'badly' then hopefully my activity will help balance it out. Only one day during the week did I truly spend just sitting (reading) and also eating foods that aren't on my food plan - so 1 day out of 5 I call a success. enjoy!
ELBS717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:35 PM   #3  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

You can eat "regular" meals, but from my experience I overeat on vacation if I go no holds barred.

I got back from a recent vacation and had lost .8 lbs in a week. Not bad. I just kept active (going on walks, exploring, moving around, etc.), and I ate mostly veggies and fruit, but added a little of whatever everyone else was having during dinner (or whatever meal was "special" that day). It worked great for me.
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:48 PM   #4  
God answers prayers!

Thank you all!! I'm just worried.... I'm going to have to just watch my portion size and try to make healthy choices...
Old 07-10-2012, 07:10 AM   #5  

I personally have experienced the heart-breaking after-vacation weight gain. So I would not suggest that you go off healthy eating while you are on vacation. After that heart-wrenching experience, I had learned to be more careful with what I eat during vacations. As soon as I get to my destination, I would always make it a point to find fruits, vegetables and nuts that can serve as snacks during my vacation. This way I could avoid snacking unhealthily. I would also opt for sit-down restaurants instead of fast foods as there is always an option to request how I want my food to be prepared--grilled or broiled instead of fried for example. Of course, I allow myself to splurge during the trip, but I do so wisely. I enjoy the food that I could not easily get at home and pass on those those items that I regularly eat. And when I do splurge with a less healthy meal, I make it a point to eat more produce and fiber in the next two meals.

I hope this helps!
Have fun on your vacation!
karaheissman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:02 AM   #6  
God answers prayers!

Thank you! My problem is, if i eat something unhealthy, then I won't be able to stop.... I just wish that I could eat unhealthy for one week, but I know that it isn't a smart idea... I have just come so far and I would hate to ruin it... I guess a part of me was wishing that there was some trick...lol...
Old 07-10-2012, 08:39 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 267/193/175

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbressler1976 View Post
Thank you! My problem is, if i eat something unhealthy, then I won't be able to stop.... I just wish that I could eat unhealthy for one week, but I know that it isn't a smart idea... I have just come so far and I would hate to ruin it... I guess a part of me was wishing that there was some trick...lol...
This is me as well and we leave for vacation with 2 of my close girlfriends and their families next week....My husband was so sweet and said he will pack stuff to cook my dinners while we are gone. I know if I don't stay focused when I do get home I'm more liking just to give up like I have so many other times I am planning on buying boxes of snack size junk food for the kids so there won't be temptation open all over.
btrinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:28 AM   #8  

Quote:
Thank you! My problem is, if i eat something unhealthy, then I won't be able to stop.... I guess a part of me was wishing that there was some trick...lol...
Yes, you can. Why are you telling yourself that you can't do something before you even start? There is a trick; tell youself that you CAN eat a few indulgent things in moderation and be happy with that. You said you want to be able to "enjoy your vacation", but does that mean that unless you are eating too much you can't have a good time?

I'm not sure where you are off to on your vacation, but I recommend planning some treats and choosing wisely; get something you can only get there and really savor it. Going to maine? Have one of their signature lobster rolls or a cup of lobster bisque from a highly-recommended place. Heading to Florida? Grab a slice of some authentic Key Lime Pie. Texas? Get down on a few pieces of some BBQ brisket. Wisconsin? Grab a small serving of cheese curds and share with the family.

You work hard in your every day life to lose weight and get healthier, right? Why must a vacation be any different? It all depends on your goals, but if you want to maintain your weight or even lose some while out of town you definitely can, you just have to apply some of that resolve you show day in and day out.

After all, wouldn't it be a shame to not put your family vacation first? Doesn't it seem just silly to think about spending your vacation gorging yourself so you can "enjoy it", knowing full well that you'll be bloated, feeling guilty, and likely won't have the energy to spend time with your family doing fun things.

Keep it simple, make smart choices, and indulge SPARINGLY. Make swaps and cut calories where you can so that you can really enjoy sharing that piece of decadent New York cheesecake with a friend or loved one. Stay active and try to fit in a workout where you can.

You CAN do it if you want to. The question is whether or not you really want to stay on plan. If you are okay gaining weight during your vacation that's fine too! There is nothing wrong with that at all... it's a lifestyle and everyone's weight fluctuates at least a couple of pounds here and there. You just need to know that you own your choices and if you choose to overdo the treats on vacation you will have to deal with the consequences.

In any case, good luck, HAVE FUN, and whatever you decide to do, do it without any regret.
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:29 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Everyone has made great suggestions. The only thing I can add is to be sure you don't get too hungry. I try to carry something in my purse like measured snack mix or granola bars and an apple. That way I don't get crazy hungry if a meal is delayed.

Oh, yes, like JossFit says eat special things that you can't get at home.

Last edited by gailr42; 07-10-2012 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Add a comment
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:48 AM   #10  
Losing tiny horses

S/C/G: 173/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Could you do what many are suggesting, a maintenance diet, and then schedule in one cheat day to remind yourself you're on vacation? I mildly cheat about every 2 weeks with dessert or some bread. It's a bit hard to get back on track the next day but I see it as good practice for when I hit my goal and go into maintenance and can eat those things very sparingly. Moderation is hard though. I understand! I tried WW but couldn't lose the weight until I cut out a food group: carbs.
carbstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:19 AM   #11  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

Here is how I handled my trip to India earlier this year. I was hoping to maintain and I actually ended up losing weight (though some if not all of the loss was dehydration).

I tried to evaluate every eating opportunity and think about how special it really was, and use that evaluation to decide how to approach it.

If the food on offer was really not that special - say, a hotel buffet with fare no better (or even a little worse) than what I could get in the Indian restaurants at home - I ate sparingly, choosing dishes with care. I ate a little rice or a little roti, but not both - just as I would do at home. Similarly, the one time I went to a continental (Italian) restaurant. Urban Indians love continental food; to them it is special and exotic. To me it's ho-hum and not at all what I was there for! So, I ate broiled fish and passed on the pasta and bread and similar items. I don't need to eat tiramisu in India just because it's on the menu. I've had it before, and I'll have it again.

If I was offered a home-cooked meal or some regional specialty that I really could not get anywhere else, I allowed myself a little more indulgence. I got a home-cooked meal in Kerala that was possibly the best meal I ate that whole trip and I was pretty shameless about packing it away! But that was a truly unique opportunity to eat a home-cooked meal in a regional style that isn't available in restaurants in the US. (After I got home I learned some Keralan cooking, let me tell you.)

One of the hotels I stayed in - a high-end business hotel in Delhi - had a gorgeous breakfast buffet with all kinds of appetizing-looking breads and pastries. But breads and pastries can be had anywhere in the world. The fact that I was on vacation wasn't a sensible excuse to eat food that, while tasty and appetizing, really wasn't particularly special. I ate light Indian breakfasts and plenty of yogurt and fruit.

Also, I did not drink at all. I did not touch a drop of alcohol that whole trip. I didn't set out with that intent, but as I evaluated my food choices I found myself feeling every time that the calories in the alcohol would be better spent on food.

So try that - look at each food option and think, how special is this, really? If you are visiting a chain restaurant that you have at home, why do you have to veer off plan just because you are on vacation? Unless you are on a food tour of Tuscany or something, you can be judicious with your food choices without sucking all the fun out of your vacation.

Good luck and good strength.

Last edited by carter; 07-10-2012 at 11:21 AM.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote