Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-03-2012, 09:48 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 187/185/140

Height: 5'8

Smile How To Get Started???? Help

Hey everybody I am struggling with gettign started on a diet I have no idea how to decide which one is the best for me. I am a single mom so I dont have money for trainers and gym memberships. I need help any advice is welcome!!!
NatesMommy1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:17 AM   #2  

Height: 5'5"

A good place to start might be the diet threads. So many things work for so many different people, but that doesn't mean everything will work for you. A lot of it is personal preference as well.

Tons of people here simply count calories. There are lots of good sites with good tools for that - from Fit Plate to Spark People, you can often even get free apps so you can track on your phone.

Lots of free exercise options available as well. You can find videos for everything from cardio to strength training, and you can find strength training exercises that use your body weight if you can't afford equipment for your home. I have a free student membership, so I primarily use a gym, but I purchased the much-less expensive and versatile resistance bands for when I can't get to the gym. The fitness forums are particularly good about learning about these options. Look for the stickies at the top to get great archived information that tend to be particularly helpful for beginners in all the threads (though great for everyone as well).

Welcome! As I'm sure you'll quickly discover, 3FC is a great place to get needed advice and support (though it's relatively quiet around here compared to busier times like the first weeks of January).
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:18 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 260/ticker/160

Height: 5'6 1/2"

I started by writing down everything I ate for a week and adding up the calories. In order to lose a pound a week I knew I would have to cut 3500 calories from that number. It was easier than it sounds. I use an iphone app called my fitness pal to track now but when I started I used a cheap notebook and a pen. The most important thing is to not give up. Good luck!

ETA- There are calorie needs calculators at freedieting.com that are cool.

Last edited by toobig; 07-04-2012 at 05:20 AM.
toobig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:22 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 187/185/140

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobig View Post
I started by writing down everything I ate for a week and adding up the calories. In order to lose a pound a week I knew I would have to cut 3500 calories from that number. It was easier than it sounds. I use an iphone app called my fitness pal to track now but when I started I used a cheap notebook and a pen. The most important thing is to not give up. Good luck!

ETA- There are calorie needs calculators at freedieting.com that are cool.
I downloaded the My Fitness Pal app of my iPod touch I am so excited that I have a place to start you are fantastic
NatesMommy1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #5  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

Hey there! ! I'd also like to add that walking/jogging can be a great exercise that only requires a comfortable pair of shoes. There are many, many options for losing weight -- take a look around and choose the ones that will suit you best! Congratulations and best of luck!
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote