Silly question- need some help deciding.

• So a minute ago this thread was a "should i buy a scale" thread, found one for 9 bucks so I've decided to.

Now, how often should I weigh myself???
  • Some people will tell you to weigh once a week. Some say once a month. Me? I weigh every single day and even most nights. Because I want to know. I have to know. I absolutely need to know. Am I obsessed? Most definitely. Because I want to understand what makes me fluctuate, and I certainly want to know as early as possible when it goes down. So I say weigh yourself as much as will not make you discouraged, but weigh yourself often enough to know what's going on. Because I am more accountable if I weigh regularly. And for me that just happens to be every day.
  • depends on what works best for you. I know lots of people prefer the once a week thing because of normal fluctuations can be discouraging. I personally like to at least once a day. I do this because I like to know how certain foods affect me. I also find that if I am not weighing every day it is out of site out of mind....thats how I gained 20lbs back.

You just have to see which method works best for you. Good luck!
  • I weigh daily because it keeps me accountable. Whether I'm up or down, i find myself encouraged by the number on the scale. When I avoid the scale, I tend to gain,.... and when that's just what happened when I gained 80 pounds and more recently, when I gained back 15 pounds of the weight I lost. I'm better off facing the scale daily. Of all the skinny people I know who work to maintain their weight, they also weight themselves daily.

However, if you find yourself discouraged rather than encouraged, then weigh yourself a couple of times a week, or once a week. You just have to find your comfort zone.
  • Thank you
  • I weigh once a week on the same day in the morning. I find if I weigh myself more than this I get obsessed and anxious (and sometimes depressed). There are also so many things that can make your weight fluctuate from day to day or even withing the same day. I just find that once a week works best for me.
  • I'm weigh myself frequently. I use to weigh multiple times a day when I first started, it really helped me to see just how much your weight bounces around. It also helped me to see that I weigh the least first thing in the morning.

I only do an 'official' weigh in for myself on Monday mornings. If I hadn't watched my weight bouncing around throughout the day and did a weekly weigh in, I could see no change (or a really small change) and get discouraged, but now I know it's just how it goes.

But I didn't go into this being REALLY focused on seeing the number go down, I'm looking at it from a health angle, so it doesn't disturb me to see my 168 weigh bounce up to 170.
  • Another daily weigher here. Frequent weighing is one of the behaviours associated with long-term weight-loss maintenance in the National Weight Control Registry. (Which doesn't mean you can't lose or maintain if you weigh less frequently, of course -- it's just a statistical correlation.) Like many others, I find that daily weighing keeps me accountable and allows me to correct small gains before they become large ones.

F.
  • Daily weighing is the best! It helps you understand everything your body does, ****, I usually weigh every time I happen to be in the bathroom just to see how things I did affect my weight. I've gotten pretty good at guessing what the weight will be before I step on, which helps me make better choices in my day to day life because I can say to myself "ok, if I this it will be salty and I will gain x weight in water weight and that means bloating which isn't cool".