Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-24-2012, 11:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5'8

Default One month, two lbs, visible difference?

I started this month at 222 lbs, now I weigh 220...but I can fit in jeans I sued to not be able to fit in at the beginning of the month and I can see a visible difference in my body, much more than 2 lbs would suggest.

I know that the "you're putting on muscle" adage isn't true, so what is this? W aren't I losing more pounds?
Katbot24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:36 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 172/170/130

Height: 5'7

Can I ask how you know you aren't gaining muscle? Body re-composition makes some of the biggest differences where inches and appearance are concerned but generally creates very minimal changes on the scale.

What type of exercise are you doing and what plan are you following? What type of foods are you eating? What does your water intake look like?
Veela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:56 AM   #3  

At least an hour walking daily (I average 7 miles a day, we hav no car), plus a job where I stand and lift things for at least 4 hours straight, supplemented with 3-4 days a week of 30 mins of intense cardio (heart rate in the 160s) at the gym.

I'm on calorie counting ranging from 1200 to 1400 a day, avoiding sugar and processed carbs. LOTS of water daily far exceeding 8 glasses. Alcohol rarely (a glass of wine once a week).

I know my body responds to exercise quickly, as I've been in sports all my life, so it's a case of regaining tone instead of creating it. I just figured that the muscle gaining as the reason for no weight loss was a myth.

Last edited by Katbot24; 06-25-2012 at 02:56 AM.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:52 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Our bodies aren't scientific experiments - so all those studies that say this or that about muscle gain, can't necessarily be applied. And those studies are done using 25 year old men.

My weight comes off very slowly. It's actually up a few pounds this week after a triathlon yesterday and the accompanying bloat from a few carb heavy meals, the muscles retaining water and then water retention from being in the sun. But some of my pants are still falling off me and really need to be retired.

I have another friend who took up running earlier in the year, after doing no exercise at all. She hasn't lost any weight, but she's gone done a couple of pants sizes and has visible muscles in her legs now.

This is why taking measurements and using monthly photos and things other than the scale are good ways to measure your progress.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:40 AM   #5  
Goal is health

S/C/G: 238.8/176.1/163

Height: 5'8"

Maybe try a calorie calculator online. You may not be eating enough with all that walking.
DrivenByAmbition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:14 AM   #6  

Height: 5'6

When i was 180lbs i was eating more than you are now and lost all m weight. I guarantee you its your eating thats stopping you from losing weight, your bodys metabolism needs to be revved up, your slowing it down eating that little. Eat a bit more and exercise at a higher intensity. Walks are good but if your heart rate isnt pumping, it isnt going to help much in terms of weight loss.

And to be completely honest i, too, doubt youre gaining muscle. Youre not eatig enough to repair the muscle you are damaging by the cardio and ontop of thay theres no weight training.
luckystreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:52 AM   #7  

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckystreak View Post
...I guarantee you its your eating thats stopping you from losing weight, your bodys metabolism needs to be revved up, your slowing it down eating that little...

And to be completely honest i, too, doubt youre gaining muscle. Youre not eatig enough to repair the muscle you are damaging by the cardio and ontop of thay theres no weight training.
So, based on that tiny bit of information the poster gave you can GUARANTEE that her calories are to blame? Thats pretty ballsy of you. There are posters on this forum who lost 100 pounds or more eating 1200 calories per day. She's got enough bodyfat that her body is in no way suffering from "starvation mode" from reduced calories at this point. She did also state that her job requires lifting and moving for several hours, and all that activity is indeed weight-bearing, especially at her current weight. Are you telling me that people cannot gain muscle from bodyweight exercises only?

My point is that while the scale might not be moving MUCH, she is losing 1 pound per week and has noticed a significant decrease in INCHES and the way her clothes fit. Obviously she's doing something right, though I can't GUARANTEE it like some others can.

Op, keep doing what you're doing... it seems like you are making great progress to me.
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:53 AM   #8  

@ Luckystreak I did mention in my second post that I do 30 mins of cardio 3-4 times a week...but I'll up it to 4-5.

I will try upping my calories for a week and see how it goes....I guess 2 lbs down isn't much to complain about in the long run. Better than up, right?
Old 06-25-2012, 01:06 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JossFit View Post
So, based on that tiny bit of information the poster gave you can GUARANTEE that her calories are to blame? Thats pretty ballsy of you. There are posters on this forum who lost 100 pounds or more eating 1200 calories per day. She's got enough bodyfat that her body is in no way suffering from "starvation mode" from reduced calories at this point. She did also state that her job requires lifting and moving for several hours, and all that activity is indeed weight-bearing, especially at her current weight. Are you telling me that people cannot gain muscle from bodyweight exercises only?

My point is that while the scale might not be moving MUCH, she is losing 1 pound per week and has noticed a significant decrease in INCHES and the way her clothes fit. Obviously she's doing something right, though I can't GUARANTEE it like some others can.

Op, keep doing what you're doing... it seems like you are making great progress to me.
Ok my bad i shoulda said "I REALLY think" insead of guarantee. And unless this is a new job/new activity for her, i dont think her muscle mass will change much.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:07 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckystreak View Post
Ok my bad i shoulda said "I REALLY think" insead of guarantee. And unless this is a new job/new activity for her, i dont think her muscle mass will change much.
It IS a new job actually! I've been there for a month
Old 06-25-2012, 01:07 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katbot24 View Post
@ Luckystreak I did mention in my second post that I do 30 mins of cardio 3-4 times a week...but I'll up it to 4-5.

I will try upping my calories for a week and see how it goes....I guess 2 lbs down isn't much to complain about in the long run. Better than up, right?
But how intense is the walking? Is it just a nice stroll type of thing or do you push yourself? Basically rate it on a 1-10 scale of exertion lol
Old 06-25-2012, 01:09 PM   #12  

Uhm, the walking is not the cardio, the walking is what I need to do to get to and from work and do groceries...

At the gym I do interval running or stair climbing.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:11 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katbot24 View Post
It IS a new job actually! I've been there for a month
Then you very well could be gaining some muscle, but for your size and your calpric intake you should be losing more. Not to mention that muscle helps increase your metabolism as well. I definitely think its your nutrition. If you up it to 1500cals and eat a little bit all day, your metabolism will really start to speed up. Keep doing muscle work as much as you can.

I get eveyone has different methods but as a kinesiologist, im just going by what makes the most logical sense for you to increase your chances of losing weight.. In m mind, weight loss is all maths/science.

Last edited by luckystreak; 06-25-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:33 PM   #14  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Just because you only lost 2 lbs on the scale doesn't mean you only lost 2 lbs of fat! If you calories are accurate, and you are working out, there is a change taking place. Sometimes it takes longer to show on the scale. There could be many reasons, it's hard to know exactly of course. Just keep it up! Great job!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:12 PM   #15  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

You CAN actually gain muscle in a deficit if you're a newbie. If the OP just started at a physically demanding job then it's entirely possible that she DID gain muscle mass.

OP, if you're smaller then you're doing it right. Keep it up and the scale will eventually catch up.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote