Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-18-2012, 06:06 PM   #1  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default Food - does eating it all at one time or spread out make a difference?

Question - for those of you who follow some sort of "allotment" type plan such as calorie counting, WW, or atkins find that eating all your planned food for the day at once rather than spread out makes a difference in weight loss?

I suppose I just don't know the science behind how and when the body stores fat. For example, let's say you eat 1500 calories for the day, but instead of eating it spread out through the day you eat it all at lunch. Would that make a difference? Maybe it just doesn't matter.

If anyone knows how how the body actually stores energy and when, I'd love to know. Thanks!
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:15 PM   #2  
Don't turn back.

S/C/G: 262/(ticker)/153

I don't think it makes any difference how much or when you eat as it equates to fat storage.
My dad is a body builder and health nut and he explained this to me-
If you eat all at once, your stomach stays stretched out and wants to be filled more often, with more food. But if you break up your food into small meals all day, your stomach stays smaller and full. It doesn't make any real difference, but eating small meals works for me so I try to do that if I can. I tend to prefer bigger, fewer meals but I'm much less hungry when I follow the small meal plan.
Good luck!
munchievictim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:18 PM   #3  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Most days I eat only lunch and dinner, and Sundays I like to eat ONE BIG MEAL at 4 PM and maybe something small beforehand. Eating larger meals and waiting until afternoon to eat has really made it easier to control my food intake.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:23 PM   #4  

Height: 5'4

How you feel is all very individual, but scientifically there is no conclusive evidence stating that, all things being equal, meal timing matters.

If you eat one meal per day or 12 meals per day and the amount of calories, fats, carbs, protein etc. is EXACTLY the same, there is no difference in fat loss or storage.

What will make a difference is individual reaction to a meal plan. One person (such as Krampus for example) does fine eating 2 meals per day, whereas for me, I would go nutty and end up eating more meals, and therefore more calories.

I prefer 6 meals a day because I like to eat and it keeps my mouth happy.
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:28 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I would probably throw up involuntarily if I tried to eat all of my food at once.

I think figuring out what works for me long term, is more important that what experts say.

Also, keep in mind that most studies about fat burning and exercise are done with 25 year old men.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:34 PM   #6  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I dont think it makes a difference WHEN you eat your food...but when one eats can have an impact as to how well they stay on plan.

Some people like big meals, others like small, some like to eat in the evening, etc.

I tend to eat lots of small meals and snacks throughout the day. I hate big meals.

I also hate eating late at night. Even if I'm hungry at that time I just won't eat until morning!
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:49 PM   #7  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vex View Post
If anyone knows how how the body actually stores energy and when, I'd love to know. Thanks!
This is a great question. The simple answer is that the body stores fat when ever it can and uses far for fuel when it has to.

What matters is your energy balance over time.

I used to eat 6-7 meals a day but found it was much easier to eat 1-2 times a day.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:18 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 247/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JossFit View Post

I prefer 6 meals a day because I like to eat and it keeps my mouth happy.
This!! Cept 3 regular size meals, and the rest are snacks ranging in 50-100 calories
Thedollylala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:25 PM   #9  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

I don't think it makes a difference at all.

I've tried several different things. I really liked the idea of 1 or 2 large meals a day, but found all I thought about was food while awaiting those meals. I like to eat smaller, but a few times a day, and usually don't eat after 6pm or so. I've kind of tried it all in the last 3 months trying to find a meal patter I like. It hasn't impacted my weight loss, so that just tells me it's totally whatever works for the individual.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote