Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-19-2012, 11:02 AM   #16  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Breanna, I have been there/done that more times than I care to count. When I was younger, I'd "try" diet after diet. Some would work well, some didn't. A few times I lost large amounts of weight, sometimes none. The key when they actually worked was my attitude and having that motivation "switch" turn on for me. Always, (until now) I ended up losing interest and the motivation would fade and I'd go back to my old ways and the weight would come back on effortlessly. Usually it wasn't some deep rooted emotional problem, or some internal drama, but more than anything, I didn't want to work at it anymore. For me, it was mostly pure laziness. It was eaiser to eat junk than to plan healthy meals, and slice and dice and so on.

When I'd "try" diets and they didn't work for me it was not because the diet didn't work, but because I was not really committed to do it. Sure I WANTED to lose weight, but I didn't want it badly enough to stick it out. These situations were when I didn't have that wonderful motivation switch turn on for me and I was just going through the motions because I knew I needed to lose, but I had no desire to really work at it.

This time around the motivation switch turned on, and to keep it on, I made some pretty hefty commitment promises to myself. I wish I knew the science into turning on that magic motivation switch, I'd be a millionaire if I held that secret. Anyway, I came to a point in my life where I was SICK AND TIRED of whining and complaining about being fat. I was tired of being fat and I was tired of blaming diets and other people. My family and friends were tired of listening to me announce I was "going to start" a new diet. EVERYONE including myself was tried of hearing about my weight-woes. To lose the weight it was going to be up to ME and only me. I had to chose a healthy way of eating and commit to sticking with it FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE. I could call it whatever I wanted, a "lifestyle change" a "journey" or any other flowery name, but the real truth is that a diet is still a diet by any other name. No matter what people say, losing weight is HARD. No matter what program or method you WORK, (not "try"... but WORK!) it's going to get hard. Some times I cried, I threw temper tantrums, I felt sorry for myself, I hated everyone who ate/drank/smoked in front of me. BUT I kept going. I just FORCED myself to keep going. Any reasonable diet plan will work, none will be easy, and all will suck at least for awhile, but the payoff is priceless.

You can do this, you just have to WANT it more than you want to want it.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 06-19-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:11 AM   #17  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breannaj1215 View Post
Thanks Ladies. I guess I just gotta stop being so darn lazy and stick to something.
You've answered your own question! Make that "something" a plan that isn't super restrictive. Have a "normal" day but write everything down and break it into calories. Assess that "normal" day and see what things you can reduce/eliminate that won't mess up your routine too badly or leave you going to bed with an angrily growling stomach. Go week by week or even day by day, it's overwhelming thinking "I want all 100+ pounds off RIGHT NOW."
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:29 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

Being lazy and expecting this to be easy is the first thing to focus on changing. I know lazy all too well. I know the feeling of wanting to magically wake up and be "skinny" without having to work for it. Well nothing GOOD in life comes without some sort of effort.

You can try to make small changes, for example, stop drinking soda or switch to diet soda......

Good luck
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:56 AM   #19  

S/C/G: SW:290 CW:ticker GW:189

Height: 5'7

Ive been taking everyones advice. I cant expect to be skinny without the work. For years Ive been feeding my body junk and have to undo the damage. I think calorie counting and cutting portions will be my lifetime weight loss "secret". I HATE working out. I hate sweating. but once i get going i love it. I love the dance classes and tennis.
Breannaj1215 is offline   Reply With Quote