Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-14-2012, 09:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5'8

Default Stop eating at night?

Sometimes I work nights at booster juice. Once we're done closing and I've walked home it's around 10. Lately I've been eating supper then and passing out at 12:30 or 1am. Usually it's difficult for me to get to sleep, same for the fiancé, we suspect perhaps the late meal is to blame? Should I tell the fiancé to go ahead and eat before I get home and pack supper for myself to eat on a break around 7 or 8 instead of waiting till it's so late? Should I plan an mini fast on the late night work nights and just eat a larger lunch? Oh food, why are you so difficult to figure out.
Katbot24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:50 PM   #2  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

People respond differently.

I can eat a large meal and sleep soundly but I can't come home from work and go right to sleep I need a little time to unwind.

Some people can sleep after a large meal, some can't.

Some can come from work and go right to sleep, some can't.

If you want to know for yourself you'll have to experiment.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:36 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 244/218.2/150

Height: 5'6"

I agree with John P. For example, I have the opposite problem which is if I eat too early I end up not sleeping well. I need to have a full(ish) stomach to sleep soundly, so eat my dinner later (9pm). Maybe try splitting your evening meal into two larger snacks so you get to eat with your fiancé if that's important to you both? Everyone is different - just try different things 'till you find out what "fits" with you!

Last edited by Northernrose; 06-15-2012 at 04:38 AM.
Northernrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:55 AM   #4  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

For me, it depends on how much I eat. If I eat a smallish dinner, I sleep just fine. If I stuff myself, forget it.

However, I think that one of my biggest issues with my slow weight loss has to do with how late I eat dinner. I get home from work, and there's still about 3 hours before my husband gets home. We have dinner together as a family and then I end up going to bed 2-3 hours later because my days start so early. I think if I could come home from work and eat dinner right away, it would be much better for me.

Now that I'm sitting here thinking about it, I always get my second wind in the evening. It's usually following dinner. Sometimes I have troubles sleeping, and I wonder if that could be the reason. I haven't been having dinner with my family this week because I've been doing a special diet, and I've been sleeping like a rock. Hmmm..... ??? It could be new diet fatigue, but I think I'm going to have to pay more attention to the meal/sleep link.

I would say, bring dinner to work, and eat it at around 7-8 like you suggested and see if that helps. Then you aren't hungry at work, and you also won't go home and eat the house because you're hungry.

When I work 2nd shift, I fast in the morning, have a decent lunch, dinner around 7, and I might snack again later if I'm hungry and then I crawl right in to bed as soon as I get home (which I'm able to do because I'm used to going to bed much earlier and getting up earlier the next morning).

Last edited by twinieten; 06-15-2012 at 08:57 AM.
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:07 AM   #5  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Default re:

What are you drinking with that meal? Are you having something with caffeine in it?
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:30 AM   #6  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

I agree with JohnP.

I worked nights, a few years ago, got off at 1am. I wouldn't eat that late, but I couldn't go to sleep for at least a couple hours, had to wind down first. You will just have to experiement and see what the issue is.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote