Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-07-2012, 10:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

Height: 5'8"

Unhappy So depressed...why am I so irrational?

I am still feeling so upset with myself for losing control during my vacation. I am convinced that I have put on at least 20 pounds. When I look at myself in the mirror, it looks like I am completely bloated and back to my starting weight. Mentally I know that I haven't gained back 100 pounds in wo weeks, but I feel so depressed like I have ruined everything and have totally undone my hard work. All I can think about is how big I have gotten again.

But the really irrational part is my reaction to my failure: I am constantly thinking about food, and just wanting to overeat some more. I have the attitude of "let's just eat what we want this week, and I will go back to my plan on Monday". What is wrong with me? My reaction to overeating is to continue to the downward spiral

I am repeating those same self-destructive thoughts that I have had every time I stumble. I haven't acted on them, because I have learned that if I'm patient I will eventually see the results, but I am just tired of this whole weight loss thing and all of the negative feelings I have right now.

I just hope I can continue to fight through this mental block and start feeling happier again. I need some mental strength right now...
KittyKatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:33 PM   #2  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

I'm not too well versed on the psychological side of dieting but I have no doubt there is also a actual physical and hormonal side to what you're feeling.

Having said that - I know enough to know that what you're feeling has a lot to do with the bad eating habits you established over a very long period of time. Think of it like smoking. Not easy to quit because the neural pathways are well established. Bottom line is you can never get rid of old habits. They are always going to be there lurking. The good news is that no doubt you're strong enough to resist falling into those old patterns. Stick with the program and I have no doubt the feelings you have will fade.

YOU CAN DO THIS!
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:37 PM   #3  
Changing for the better

S/C/G: 268/257/150

Have you weighed yourself to guage the actual damage instead of creating a perceived catastrophe? Just see where you are and move on from there. It is ok to take a break and indulge every so often, try to be kinder to yourself. It seems the negative self talk is a trigger for you. I hope you feel better!
TiffNeedsChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:59 PM   #4  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

What is is you want to eat?

There's a clue there to tell you if it is "head hunger" or "heart hunger."

Linda Spangle's book "Life is Hard, Food is Easy" goes deeper but there's one link on head/heart hunger differences

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=56502

There's also just the general pleasure to eating to get the seratonin hit or endorphin hits. The "feel goods" when you are feeling blue.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/89...in-endorphins/

Or to pump up wacko blood sugar to feel right again.

There's layers here to sort. But you know it is NOT actual hunger for food fuel. And you KNOW you did not regain 100 lbs on vacation.

So sort.

GL!
A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:20 AM   #5  

I understand what you feel. It’s normal to feel like that as it is like a phase everybody who’s in a diet is going through. What is important is you keep trying and reaching for your goal to lose weight. You should find a motivation that works for you. Be happy and don’t be too hard on yourself.
iyah0125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:56 AM   #6  
Changing for good!

S/C/G: 273/ticker/195

Height: 6'1"

I bet your imagination is far worse than reality.

I agree - it's time to step on the scale and deal with it. It won't be 20 pounds, unless you're also having some SERIOUS water retention. More likely it's 5 pounds or thereabouts... which will come as a huge relief compared to what you're been fearing, right?

Stand tall, strip down to your skivvies, step on the scale, write down your number, and make a plan for how you will eat today.

By tomorrow you'll already be feeling better!
kirsteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:20 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

I know the feeling. Straying from good habits and then just saying "EFF IT" one more day won't hurt. One day turns into one week.....

You can do this!
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:32 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 225/163/145

Don't be so hard on yourself, just get back on track.
I doubt you gained 100lbs in 2 weeks silly, whatever you did gain it should be motivation for you to kick its a** and keep going

Good luck hun don't be so down on yourself
ghlover is offline   Reply With Quote