Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #16  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLMuffnTop View Post
Side note: DH wanted a snack the other day and got a small order of tater tots. Those suckers were drenched in salt and grease. By the time he got home it was soaked through the cardboard tot container and the bag. He had to check and make sure it didn't leak through to his seat. Needless to say, he hasn't had Sonic food since.

Lmao... I laugh because Sonic's tater tots are my favorite thing on their menu, especially if they're drenched in cheese. >_< Needless to say, I haven't been indulging in those, lol.
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:03 PM   #17  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

You guys are cracking me up. You do know that a milkshake's primary ingredient is ice cream right?
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:11 PM   #18  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
You guys are cracking me up. You do know that a milkshake's primary ingredient is ice cream right?
Yeah but my version of small is like... one or two scoops, Lol. Not 5!
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:39 AM   #19  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
where calorie counts are required to be on the menus
I would LOVE this - and would lobby for it. I know you can go to most websites and pull it up, but this would be great - and probably eye-opening for a lot of people.

I wonder how the obesity stats for places that have this compare to ones that don't
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:48 AM   #20  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vex View Post
I would LOVE this - and would lobby for it. I know you can go to most websites and pull it up, but this would be great - and probably eye-opening for a lot of people.

I wonder how the obesity stats for places that have this compare to ones that don't
They actually have some data on this. Short version - having calorie counts on everything did very little to change consumer behavior.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:06 AM   #21  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I haven't had a Godiva Chocilixer (sp?) in well over a year. Because of this thread I kind of wanted one and decided to check the calorie count.

Oi. The one I like is 700 calories!!

I think I will get it one day I'll just make room for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vex View Post

Quote:
They actually have some data on this. Short version - having calorie counts on everything did very little to change consumer behavior.
Yep. It hasn't helped around here. Besides, the info is usually available on the company's website, so it's not like it's some giant secret.

I find the calorie counts on the menus can be deceiving anyway. Sometimes they don't include sides or the default option. It's nice for it to be on the menu like that, but I still usually jump on the company's website to check out everything.

It's nice though when your friends are going through a drive thru and ask you what you want and you see that everything is like 1200 calories, LOL.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:31 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

Quote:
I think it is because we are never really taught how calories work. I know before I started dieting I knew 2000 cals were the recommended daily amount, and sometimes I'd glance at how many cals something was, but i didnt know 1lb=3500 or anything about how they worked.

Since then I've thought that the basic nutrition taught in schools needs to be more then the food pyramid or the daily plate or whatever, and instead be an actual basic nutrition... meaning how cals work, how things like protein, fats, and carbs are normally processed by the body. the difference between simple carbs and complex carbs. etc

I know if i knew this stuff in jr high and high school I never would have gotten as heavy as I did
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:49 AM   #23  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnkrckpixikat View Post
I know if i knew this stuff in jr high and high school I never would have gotten as heavy as I did
Sadly, I think this is not true: how else to explain the thousands of us who have lost large amounts of weight (through calorie counting and healthy eating) and then gained it back?

The problem is that the part of our brains that knows about macros and calories and health is entirely separate from the part of our brains that *wants* and doesn't care about the calories. It takes hard work and lots of practice and self-discipline to habitually listen to the wise, educated part of the brain rather than the one screaming WANTWANTWANT!!
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:03 PM   #24  
Feed the muscle

S/C/G: 225/ticker/145

The first time I got over 200lbs (I remember it clearly, the summer of 2009...sigh) It was thanks to sonic and steak and shake. (and of course, no will power to resist American food) I got up to 210 from 190 within 3 months and I have the stretchmarks to prove it. God, looking back, all I can think was, how could I have been so stupid not to realise what I was doing to my body?? Hindsight. What a thing.

Last edited by meltaway; 06-05-2012 at 12:04 PM.
meltaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by DietVet View Post
Sadly, I think this is not true: how else to explain the thousands of us who have lost large amounts of weight (through calorie counting and healthy eating) and then gained it back?

The problem is that the part of our brains that knows about macros and calories and health is entirely separate from the part of our brains that *wants* and doesn't care about the calories. It takes hard work and lots of practice and self-discipline to habitually listen to the wise, educated part of the brain rather than the one screaming WANTWANTWANT!!
Except, for me at least, back then it wasn't my body screaming WANT WANT WANT. I could just as easily go without, but it tasted good and I was bored and I didn't really understand HOW bad it was for my weight. It was basically when I had money I wasted it on sodas, chips, pop tarts, and chocolate. When I didn't I didn't. If I had any direct knowledge that the 2 boxes of poptarts I ate in one week was about equal to 1lb, not to mention the sodas or chocolate... YIKES scary to think about *shudder* I'm fairly sure I would've been able to avoid it.
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote