Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-02-2012, 04:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 320/269/165

Height: 5'2"

Default If Calories were money - would I spend them more wisely?

I am stuck in a plateau and after going over my food intake, the fine details of each mouthful, I discovered my "handful of seeds & dried cranberries" was costing me 200 calories! While a healthier choice than 2 brownie bites - If I had known, I'd have made another choice.

I am seeing a nutritionist - and have lost 43lbs so far since Sept. so making healthy choices is a big part of what I am doing. Using this model my hunger has been greatly reduced.. but right now, I am stuck.

When I find out the true cost "calorie wise" of some of my food choices - I think it is not worth it! I'd rather spend my calories on foods that fill me up or satisfy cravings... or both.
So - in my efforts to get out of this plateau (same weight for 4 weeks 278lbs) I am counting, counting and trying to think of calories as money - is the food WORTH it! Am I bankrupt or just deep in calorie debt?

Also - I think I need a good scale... any ideas?
thelootlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 231/162/165

Height: 6'

I take this approach and find it helpful. One day I realized I was not much diiferent from a friend of mine who constantly spent more money than he had. When I made the connection that I was eating more calories than I had, it really helped. I used to have the attitude that I didn't want to think about food a lot or count calories, but I realized that I need to make my physical health the kind of priority my financial health is. I wouldn't walk into a store and spend without thinking so why would I do that to my body. Best of luck. Sounds like you are on a good track.

I have an Eat Smart scale that came measuring tape. It was under 30 bucks I think.
daniprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:30 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I think there are a lot of parallels between food/calorie budgeting and financial budgeting.

It's why I like exchange plan dieting, because I work best with a category-based budget. When I'm calorie counting without an exchange plan my diet isn't very balanced. It's a bit like spending money without any plan - it's easy to spend the paycheck on shoes instead of rent, if you're not budgeting carefully.

A lot of people don't need a written, planned budget. They just naturally are budget-conscious and spend responsibly. I'm not one of them. I have to have a written plan that I'm consciously trying to adhere to, or I end up spending foolishly (whether it be calories, time, or money).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:51 PM   #4  
losing and schmoozing

S/C/G: 175/ticker/155

Height: 5' 6"

I have made this connection before, but it surprises me that I am incredibly fiscally responsible, and yet somehow have a much harder time being responsible with my calorie budget.

I think part of what is hard about it for me is that calorie counting always involves some amount of guesswork - if you go out to eat, or have someone else's homemade cooking, for instance. Sometimes the calorie data is not available. When I spend money, the amount of money I spent is ALWAYS available, and it's exact. If only it were so easy with food. At least I have a good food scale (I have an Escali Primo scale and I love it) and calorie information available on the food I eat at home, though - and that is a big help.
cornellchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:08 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 216.5/ticker/153

Height: 5'4''

I actually know someone on one of the blogs here that uses a checkbook method to track her calories. Every day starts out with how many she can have, and as she goes down, she subtracts each item. She says it has worked well for her! For me, I have a 'budget' for each meal. In each meal, I try to eat balanced with something I want and something I need/is good for me. I LIKE to get in plenty of fruit and veggies. But if I am craving something else, I have it. Because you need those treats every now and again to keep you on track. So yes, dieting and financing really are all about the details and making it work!
JustJ280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:37 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 406/394/200

Height: 5"7

That is a clever way of thinking of it. Unfortunately for me I lack control with spending too, hahaha!
I agree about the nuts for example. Isn't it amazing how you can eat something you think of as healthy, then the shock when you find the calories, it is like 'What was I THINKING??' Me, I know Greggs pasty's aren't healthy, obviously, but I always thought of them as a snack. I could not believe they have the calories of a whole meal!! Same for pre packaged sandwiches... some of them look like they real healthy and wholesome and they just have sooo many calories! I suppose it is good to think of 'value'; is this worth it's 'cost'?
I hope this approach is a success for you xxx
JoseLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:15 AM   #7  
Incredible Shrinkin Woman

S/C/G: 270/234/155

Height: 5'11"

What a wonderful idea! I havent really made the connection between calories and money, but its great to think about that way. NOBODY wants to go into debt!
UnderTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:21 AM   #8  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

I have found that (for me) shopping & binging are VERY much alike. That "gotta have it now! more-more-more!" attitude/feeling. So I look at it from the other way around... IF MONEY were CALORIES, would I spend it more carefully? It's actually helping me with my shopping addiction! Whodah thunk it!
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote