Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-01-2012, 01:02 AM   #1  
butrphlylove

S/C/G: 360/180

Height: 5'5''

Default Eating right on a tight budget

Hello,
I am new to TFC. I have been looking on this website for months and I decided to join. To give a brief intro I ahve a large amount of weight to lose. I am not trying to to a quick weight loss I want to lose weight at a reasonable pace and keep it off.

I would like to eat healthy and while on a budget. It would benefit me and my hubby who is type 2 diabetic. However any suggestions about diets for those on a budget. I have thought about doing weight watchers, jenny craig or nutrisystem but I am skeptical about shelling out money for something that does not work.

Any tips or advice would be gladly appreciated. Thanks in advanced.
butrphlylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:27 AM   #2  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

Calorie counting is free
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:34 AM   #3  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DietVet View Post
Calorie counting is free
Exactly! "Diet products" are expensive. Whole foods are not!

I don't spend nearly as much money now as I did when I was eating "normally" or eating "diet foods." I shop the perimeter of the store. Simple ingredients go a long way!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:55 AM   #4  
Aussie girl

S/C/G: 210/146/146

Height: 5'4

If you don't want to attend meetings etc, then calorie counting all the way. I, myself need the support of meetings so I go to Weight Watchers. All I paid for was the monthly pass, which for $40 a month, it was worth it to me. Now that I am Lifetime at goal, it's free to me.

Places like My Fitness Pal are free and have great calorie counting tools, including a phone app.

In regards to eating healthy on a tight budget, I do it. We are 3 adults (my son is 18 and Autistic) and we only have 1 income. So things are tight for us but we shop at farmers markets, ALDI, buy meat on sale and freeze it. We buy less junk and fast food now so we save money that way.

Last edited by electrongirl; 06-01-2012 at 01:57 AM.
electrongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:09 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

when these topics come up I always have to throw in couponing. There are sites/forums (afullcup is the one I use, but there are many) that have people match up coupons and deals for grocery stores in your area... so when I find a deal on healthy foods I stock up for atleast a couple of months... there have been times I've been able to get free frozen vegetables, yogurts, rice, teas, etc...

others suggested farmer's market (spanish or international markets are also sometimes good) so if you have one around with cheap fruits and vegetables then you would be all set ... usually the produce is where the costs add up.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:39 AM   #6  
Changing for good!

S/C/G: 273/ticker/195

Height: 6'1"

I think the big thing to remember is that all convenience food is expensive compared to making things from scratch yourself. For example, if you wanted to make tacos or burritos, those spice packages are ridiculously expensive and largely comprised of salt (cumin and chili powder being the most important things in them for flavour). You can buy your own spices for pennies in comparison. Same goes for dips, prepared side dishes like rice or potatoes, marinated meats, canned soups... all of them you pay a huge premium for convenience. Aim to make things yourself, from scratch. Much healthier in the long run and much much cheaper too.

I agree - shop the perimeter! GL!
kirsteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:00 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Everyone else is right on. I hardly shop at any "regular" grocery stores and instead opt for Asian markets, Aldi and other discount markets. Kristeng is right. Making your own food is so much cheaper than buying ready made/ processed foods.

A great example of this is dried vs. canned beans. If you buy a bag of beans, it can be $1 or less while a can of beans is about $0.60. 1 bag of dried beans equates 3-4 cans of beans once cooked. You can portion them into "can portions," freeze, then use them when you need.

Budgetbytes.blogspot.com has so many great ideas and gives you actual cost comparisons. It's a great website. We also have ashoestring meal section of this forum for cost savings.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:04 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

What do you spend on food now - including grocery trips, convenience stores, eating out, delivery, snacks on the go, etc. Start with that number and you might be surprised how much you've been spending and how much "healthy" food you can get for the same price.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:05 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 222/211/147

I am on a budget as well. I shop my weekly circulars before I go to the store- to check out the veggies and lean protein on sale. i build my meals around the healthy sale items. keep in mind that keeping meals on the plainer side/ not adding extras like sauces is not only good for the diet but also saves money! i use dry spices (which go a long way for the buck), white vinegar and lemon instead of sauces.

also if you shop at local farmer's markets you will often be able to get healthy items at a good price, as long as you focus on what's bountiful right now.
Jenny Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:39 AM   #10  
Lost

S/C/G: 140/140/125

Height: 5'9

also on a budget , i usually eat the same thing everyday except alternate vegetables.. my husband needs protien cause he lifts heavy weights and things like that so, we try always to have chicken for dinner and you know chicken breast is the most expensive part of a chicken.. but recently we went to a warehouse that sells food to people who have companies (my husbands father has a company and got us Passes for the place) it's called Macro (the ware house) and you can get 24 pieces of the same sized chicken brest for only 20£ which is not to bad. when i get home i cook 6 and put them in containers for other days and the rest i wrap up in cling film and put them in the freezer.
if your from America i suggest asking a friend who has a buissness to get you a Pass to Cosco (its a warehouse where they sell things in bulk)
although my mother was able to get a Pass to cosco and she doesn't own a business but she was a member for a very long time, so maybe the rules were different then. its a really great place they even let you sample foods there http://www.costco.com/

then i buy rice or potato with carrots or leeks (whichever veggie that is on sale that week) at a supermarket ( i always look out for sales or check the reduced section)

and i also buy eggs in bulk since they last a long time with out going bad and we have eggs for breakfast. but i poach mine i dont fry it.
if i am really watching my calories i will remove the yolk from the egg when i cook it and you should do this if someone is diabetic to.

when a person is diabetic usually what really needs to change is the way you cook your food, and switch to lean white meats with reduced fats.
i suggest steaming,boiling,grilling or use a pressure cooker when you cook food then the food is not siting in it's own fat and that way you can better control things.

if you want to make low cholesterol burgers you can get grounded turkey meat.

if you must use a frying pan to cook, then make sure its non stick and try and buy one of those oil squirt bottles and give the pan one quick spray of oil..and you should be ok and that reduces your intake of oil by a lot.

Last edited by VioletRain; 06-01-2012 at 11:48 AM.
VioletRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:51 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

I find that I spend less on healthy food than I did before. Of course, when I include the costs of Mc D's, pizza, etc.... <shudder>. I am helping my ds who has custody of my gds while he is in school. So, one income.... Here are some of the things we do...

Buy lean proteins on sale, portion and freeze. Remember that 3 - 4 oz is an appropriate serving of lean meat.

Eat produce in season whenever possible - especially fruit.

We often buy broccoli or cauliflower frozen florets in the generic brand because those veggies are expensive here. No waste, keeps forever, and great if you roast them in the oven.

As a diabetic, processed carbs are my danger zone so we no longer eat rice or pasta mixes or prepared sides. However, a single bag of potatoes provides for a multitude of meals. they are healthy and diabetic friendly if prepared correctly. the same with sweet potatoes in season.

Personally, I would stay away from expensive pre-packaged diet food. Both for cost and for health.

Good luck
Riemontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:12 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/120

Height: 5'2

I would check out your local Farmer's Market. I buy MOST of my veggies there and spend about 10 bucks a week. The only item I can not seem to get cheap there is lettuce so I just buy that at the grocery store.

Try veggies you never had before. When I started doing an alternative version of IP here on the boards I tried every veggie that is on the allowed list that I never had before. Some were AWESOME.. some not quite.. lol

I buy turnips every week and LOVE THEM! I boil them till they are part way done then cook them in a skillet with green peppers and some spices. I can honestly say I do not miss Potatoes ONE BIT! LOL.
Jonsgurl0531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5'8

In Canada we have something called the "Good Food Box", it's run by a nonprofit and they give out boxes of seasonal, locally grown fruits and veg for a very low price. You don't get to pick what you get, but it's cheap, fresh and good for you.

Maybe there's something similar in the US?
Katbot24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:45 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Another vote for free calorie counting.
Watch your grocery store ads for specials, buy vegies and fruit in season. Ground turkey can be used in anything that you would use ground beef and is often cheaper.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:55 PM   #15  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Check out the shoestring meals forum

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/shoestring-meals-235/

There are a lot of great tips, recipes and discussions on the topic of weight loss on a budget (and saving money in general).

If you have a TOPS chapter in your area (check the website tops.org) I'd highly recommend giving it a try. You can attend a meeting free to see if you're interested (if there are several chapters in your area, you can even visit each one - you just can't weigh in until you choose). The cost is $28 per year (and an additional $14 for another family member in the same household). Then there's monthly dues (usally between $2 and $5).

In most groups there are ways to win free monthly dues and small cash prizes. For example in our group, if you have any loss during a month, you get the next month's dues free. There's also "biggest loser" prizes for the person who loses the most weight the previous week, and other contests.

I've been a member of my current chapter for almost two years, and my goal every year is to "break even." The first year I didn't break even, but I came pretty close (my expenses exceeded my winnings only by something like $5).

This year, it looks like I'm going to make a profit (I'm almost at the break even point and I still have three months to go), so in a week or two, I'm going to be "getting paid" to lose weight.

Another advantage of TOPS is that it allows members to follow any diet plan they choose (though unhealthy plans are discouraged). And in most chapters, there are quite a few members are people on tight budgets, so discussions of money-saving tips and recipes are common.

I find the weekly weigh-in and group support very helpful (necessary, really). If I'm the only person looking at the scale, I tend to procrastinate and eat off-plan, vowing to "start fresh tomorrow." The weekly weigh-in keeps me focused, and the weekly support keeps me motivated. I also enjoy the contests and games that make weight loss fun.

I follow a low-carb exchange plan. Like "straight" calorie counting, exchange plans (an estimation form of calorie and food group counting) are free and easy to learn (and there are tons of online resources).

Low-carb diets have the reputation of being expensive (mostly because of the cost of red meat and fresh produce), but even low-carb diets can be done inexpensively. You just have to plan a little more, and spend a little more time and effort using savings-strategies.

One of the reasons I love exchange plans, is that they make grocery shopping much easier. I know exactly how many exchanges/servings of fruit, starch, fat, protein, veggies, and dairy that I have to buy, and then I shop by category. For example, I need to buy about 30 exchanges/servings of fruit. Bananas are usually the cheapest, but bananas aren't my favorite, so I'll buy then occasionally (or when the budget is really, really tight), but there's usually some type of fruit that's on sale. I tend to buy the fruits that spoil the slowest (apples and oranges will last a really long time in the fridge). Frozen strawberries are usually pretty expensive, but our Dollar General now carries a 12 ounce bag for $1. This comes out to about 33 cents per serving.

I have goal prices for each food group (exchange group). For example, I like to pay under 25 cents per "exchange" (for most fruits - about one small fruit, half a large fruit, or about 3/4 cup). I'll pay a little more for my favorites.

For proteins, I try to pay less than $1 per pound (or about 10 cents per protein exchange serving).

I learned a lot of my budgeting tips through the book, "The Complete Tightwad Gazette" which is a book containing the three volumes of the Tightwad Gazette books that were published previously (you can buy the combined books or the individual books on amazon.com pretty cheaply - though sometimes it's cheaper to buy the individual books Volumes 1-3 than the combined book).

When it comes to dieting cheaply, or saving money in general, it really is true that "if you watch the pennies, the dollars will take care of themselves," meaning that it's very hard to find a single strategy that will save you tons of money, so you have to use a bunch of smaller strategies to save bits of money.

It doesn't seem like that bag of pre-washed lettuce or pre-cut carrots are much more expensive than the veggies you have to wash and cut yourself, but in the long run you can save a lot of money, if you do your own washing and cutting.

Bagged lettuce is convenient, but it spoils extremely quickly. A head lasts a much longer.

I found a vacuum sealer (like seal a meal) on a garage sale (new in box, with the bags) for only $3. Gosh, I loved that thing, because it really extended the life of fresh veggies like you wouldn't believe. Unfortunately, it eventually died on me, and I don't have the money to buy a new one. I'm keeping my eye out for a replacement whenever I go to the Goodwill or garage sales.

When my hubby and I moved to Wisconsin, our budget was so tight that some months we only had $25 to spend on groceries for the whole month. I learned to budget out of necessity, and now it's become a hobby. I get a big thrill out of saving money, and finding ways to get things super cheap.

(I just bought five pairs of long pants and 2 pairs of capris from BCOutlet.com. I paid just over $23.00 in total, and that included shipping - so just over $3 per pair. They have a drawstring waist, and there's a nice drape to the fabric, so they're going to be nice looking and will fit me through quite a bit of weight loss).

Every penny counts, and it's a lot of fun to see what you can save or what you can buy for next to nothing. It's a bit harder with groceries than other expenses, but if you save enough on the other expenses it frees up more money for groceries.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote