Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-16-2012, 06:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: See tracker :3

Height: 5'5

Default Everything hurts my bones?! Please help!

Hey there!
So for awhile I was doing Jillian's Body Revolution + buring 400 calories at the gym with the elliptical every day.
I did that for 2 weeks, lost some weight (Woo!) and then starting the new Jillian videos (weeks 3/4), there's a lot of things that require putting your knee on the ground or laying on the floor, and even with a gym mat it hurts my knees/tailbone.

Does anyone have any advice?

I'm not sure how many calories Jillian's workout burned. I think it was around 350? And then I burned 400 at the gym, I'd like to stay around 700 calories burned.

So I want something that burns cals, but doesn't hurt my bones. Has anyone had this problem? How do I fix it?!
DandelionCupcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:12 PM   #2  
Nutritarian

S/C/G: 289/257.8/125

Height: 5'4"

Have you tried yoga?
Laifierr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:37 PM   #3  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Lift weights!!!

(Who knew I'd come in here and say that?)
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #4  
Making adjustments

OP, have you tried doubling up on mats? I find that this helps with my knees.
Shaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:05 PM   #5  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I have very sensitive joints and skin, it is just genetic for me, and some of my workouts (strength training) are difficult for me. Floor work, in particular, can cause me issues when I am fulcruming on my tailbone or hip.

Thick mats help a lot, but the best thing I have found yet is to make sure I am activating the muscles that are touching the floor. Seriously, the thing that makes my tailbone stop hurting during Pilates-type moves is activating my glutes. Then the force is against my muscles and cushions me a bit, instead of my body and bone being lax against the floor.

Try it while sitting at a chair - a hard wooden one. Sit normally and rock back and forth a bit. That will probably make your tailbone grind into the seat a bit, or at least be sensitive, if you're like me. Now, try it activated - push your feet into the floor with your knees at a nice right angle, then tighten your butt and rock back and forth. MUCH less sensitivity and bone contact with the chair, just by a simple shift and muscle activation.

And this is where I plug how awesome TTap is, that it teaches me things like this and builds a ton of strength, too
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:12 PM   #6  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValRock View Post
Lift weights!!!

(Who knew I'd come in here and say that?)

I agree with what all the ladies said!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:26 PM   #7  

My mother worked in food service and she has spinal problems from all the lifting. Its probably fussy, but I would go to a physical therapist (maybe a sports one?) and ask about what exercises would not cause damage, but would also add strength, which may help with your bone issues.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:21 PM   #8  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandelionCupcakes View Post
there's a lot of things that require putting your knee on the ground or laying on the floor, and even with a gym mat it hurts my knees/tailbone.

Does anyone have any advice?
We're way outside my field of expertise but I would assume this is similar to riding a bike - in that my tailbone hurts due to the pressure from the seat. Over time, this goes away as your body adapts.

So if you like it other than the pain you might want to stick with it for a while to see if the pain diminishes over time because I can't imagine you would be hurting yourself just by kneeling or lying on the floor.

Other than that - I personally believe that the MOST effective exercise one can do while losing weight is to lift weights and not the 5lb pink dumbells. I'm talking real weight lifting.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:09 AM   #9  
keep going

S/C/G: 176/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

I'd also say do a bit of yoga before hand. I've always had tail bone pain but this really seems to help stretch everything out and I don't experience it now.
LeilaJey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:46 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Other than that - I personally believe that the MOST effective exercise one can do while losing weight is to lift weights and not the 5lb pink dumbells. I'm talking real weight lifting.
The pink ones are so darn cute, though

Okay, so real weight lifting. What do you suggest starting out with? I'm very new at this.

And thanks SO much everyone. I've got a list of all of your suggestions and I'm going to try. I was seeing such fabulous results so I was super bummed when everything was making the bones in my knees pop around and all of that. D: Ouch.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:53 PM   #11  
~Never Quit~

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/180?

Height: 5'7"

For old farts or those with limited ability (I fit both categories), Walk Away the Pounds videos are pretty good for moderate/low impact exercise.

Last edited by EatMoreCelery; 05-17-2012 at 02:54 PM.
EatMoreCelery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:08 PM   #12  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

For weight lifting, check out either The New Rules of Lifting for Life, or the New Rules of Lifting for Women. They are both excellent programs that give you several months of workouts to do. I'd recommend starting with 'Life'--it's geared towards middle aged people, but the whole point of it is to allow you to work according to your level and to choose exercises that minimize your sore spots. It's a cool program.
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:52 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

not only is weight lifting GREAT for your muscles, it is essential to building bone density, keeping you from experiencing worse problems.

I suggest a body ball the--new pill form to do your ab work on. I also agree in engaging the muscles below your tailbone for support. The ball should take alot of pressure off your spine. Also, I don't know if they make them any more, but "the bean" is great for that type of stuff.

I forgot to add for your cardio, you could consider a mini trampoline which has added benefits besides absorbing shock to the joints.

Last edited by jendiet; 05-17-2012 at 07:21 PM.
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:24 PM   #14  

thanks so much everyone!!!