Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-15-2012, 10:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 172/170/130

Height: 5'7

Default Turning Job loss into a chance to focus on me

I found out yesterday that my contract with my current employer is not being renewed and as a result I will be out of a job as of May 25th. Although it is a crappy turn of events I am not nearly as upset as I should be.

First off I hate my job and believe that it has been a significant reason for the weight I have gained in the past 2 years.

My job is also very draining mentally and physically and it makes it very difficult for me to find the time and energy to focus on fitness and healthy eating.

Also I feel as though I have been holding onto this job like a security blanket and that this is a chance for me to seek out the job that I really want.

In the month of June I am hopefully going to receive Employment Insurance and use the time while job hunting to really focus on me and what I want. I need to start de-cluttering my life and spend time in the gym and enjoying my life.

I have never felt so positive about such a negative event in my life before and am really looking forward to reclaiming my life and health again!

Has anyone else taken a negative life event as an opportunity to focus on themselves?
Veela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/151/125

Height: 5'0

I actually just quit my job. I know it sounds irresponsible but when you dread your job as badly as I did, no amount of money can make up for that. I stayed 5 years too long. I plan on using this time job hunting to focus on me and find something that I can be proud of doing.

It is scary, and I am worried for what the future holds, but I know in my heart I did the right thing by leaving. I know it wasn't a choice for you, but better things await you!

And good for you to turn this into a positive instead of a negative. You will find something, but in the mean time take good care of yourself
tinkerbell4726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:45 PM   #3  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Well you can't help the job situation, but you can definitely control how you respond to it. Good for you!
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:12 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 172/170/130

Height: 5'7

tinkerbell I think you made a wise decision to leave a job that you really couldn't enjoy. Last year when they renewed my contract I considered turning it down but the prospect of not have a job was so scary and I wasn't brave enough to face it. I think spending another year doing a job that made me miserable and sucked the life out of me was worse.

I really am surprised at how happy I feel about this change.
Veela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:51 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Eighteen years ago I was fired from a job. It was a beautiful sunny day in July and I remember feeling oddly elated. Long story short, the loss of the job spurred me to launch a successful career as a freelance writer and I've never looked back.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote