Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-13-2012, 12:54 PM   #16  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoofie View Post
No, my numbers did not come from the manufacturer.

Dude, seriously? For someone who's "not trying to invalidate my results", you're doing a damn good job of it -- and getting on my damn nerves in the process. I AM HAPPY WITH MY RESULTS AND WOULD BE EVEN AT 8% HIGHER. There is really no need to go citing sources to try and prove that you're right, because I don't give a ****.
An 8% margin of error means you could be at most 30% or you could also be as low as 16%. I really don't see how this takes anything away from your accomplishments. It simply means that BIA is not an accurate way to measure body fat. If you want accuracy you have to pay for it. Hydrostatic weighing or dexa scan.

The only reason I'm posting in this forum at all is because when I was new I read a ton of stuff that was completely inaccurate, misleading, and confusing. If I can help other people sort out fact from fiction than they can speed up their journey.

Here is the problem with BIA even as a tool to measure progress over time. Someone can use a BIA scale and have it read 35%. They can lose 4% body fat, jump back on the BIA scale and have it read 39%. If they think BIA is accurate they would be devastated.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote