Not losing weight, frustrated, trying to not give up hope

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I recently started eating healthier to lose weight almost a month ago. when i first began i was tipping the scales at 300lbs, i still am tipping scales but after a month im down to 288. I count calories and make sure i eat healthy as well. i only drink water and never eat junk anymore. My calorie intake is usually about 1200-1500 every day, never over 1500.

The first couple weeks it was just coming off! i felt so motivated and happy about it, now its been a week and my weight has stayed the same despite how well i've been eating and the few long walks i've been doing. I dont get it! why cant i lose any more weight? i know there was a few days where i ate very little calories because i was not hungry and now i try to make sure i get at least 1500 before i go to bed. I feel so helpless now and am doomed to over overweight forever =/
  • I am no expert but I have three questions/suggestions

1.) Are you recording what you eat or just guestimating? It is possible you are taking in more calories than you realize. If you aren't tracking it, I would start immediatly. Additionally, you may be cutting out TOO many calories for your weight and your body is panicking and going into starvation mode. I would use a Daily Caloric need calculator to make sure you have not shocked your system.

2.) Have you added any exercise to your weight loss attempts? Even a short walk may help. ^_^

3.) Have you talked to a doctor about this? When I first started my weight loss, I was in the same boat as you. I cut out a ton of calories and I was exercising several days a week. At 275, I should have been losing weight like it was going out of fashion but I wasn't losing anything. I spoke with a doctor and was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism. I have been on medication for a year and it really helps with my weight loss.

Keep going and I promise you will see results. It just may take a little tweaking before you know what works for you. No one who tries is doomed to be overweight forever.
  • I use my fitness pal and scan every little thing I eat haha I love the app I use it all day! And I do walk. Ive been walking after work and also started using stairs at work and all those little changes! I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and was put on synthroid about 6 months ago but it made me feel ill and gain weight so I stopped taking it. My thyroid number is 7 so it's not off by much. I used a few different BMR calculators to determine my calorie intake
  • Quote: I use my fitness pal and scan every little thing I eat haha I love the app I use it all day! And I do walk. Ive been walking after work and also started using stairs at work and all those little changes! I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and was put on synthroid about 6 months ago but it made me feel ill and gain weight so I stopped taking it. My thyroid number is 7 so it's not off by much. I used a few different BMR calculators to determine my calorie intake
    Wait but dont people with hypothyroidism have difficulty losing weight?
  • laika6:

Don't give up! You've just hit a slow spell/plateau in your weight loss!! Keep doing what you're doing and the weight will start coming off again after a time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• You won't lose weight every week! Don't worry! Stick to it and it will come off eventually
  • It's only been a week. We can't dictate how our bodies will respond. You have made a good start, don't give up.
  • @Luckystreak: Generally, yes we do. >_< It stinks

Quote: I use my fitness pal and scan every little thing I eat haha I love the app I use it all day! And I do walk. Ive been walking after work and also started using stairs at work and all those little changes! I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and was put on synthroid about 6 months ago but it made me feel ill and gain weight so I stopped taking it. My thyroid number is 7 so it's not off by much. I used a few different BMR calculators to determine my calorie intake
    This is going to sound silly but you still need to be on something if you have hypothyroidism. When I was diagnosed, it was just a little shift as well, but it can really mess you up. Our bodies are supposed to be fine tuned machines and when something like this is off (even a small amount) everything can be out of whack.

I would reccommend talking to your doctor about trying a lower dosage and, possibly, the generic version of Synthroid (I am on 25mg of Levothyroxine which is generic).

You could also be at a plateau but I am betting more on your thyroid throwing this off if you have been diagnosed but are not on medication currently. Frustrating, I know.

Add me on myfitnesspal, I am srt4852
  • Quote: 1.) Are you recording what you eat or just guestimating? It is possible you are taking in more calories than you realize. If you aren't tracking it, I would start immediatly. Additionally, you may be cutting out TOO many calories for your weight and your body is panicking and going into starvation mode. I would use a Daily Caloric need calculator to make sure you have not shocked your system.
    Sorry, but "starvation mode" is largely a made up thing. It doesn't just happen, and certainly not to someone who is 288lbs. Real "starvation mode" has been shown in numerous studies to only become a factor in weight loss for EXTREMELY starved individuals over long periods of time, and generally we're talking about anorexics, Prisoners of War, etc.

A metabolic slowdown is another story; if you aren't eating enough calories your rate of fat loss may slow down, but again, this isn't likely going to be a factor for someone at your current weight Op. Chances are you need to increase your activity and do things that will fire up your metabolism and keep you burning calories even after you are done exercising, such as lifting weights.
  • Yeah I should make another appointment for it. They put me on 100mg synthroid and I feel that way too much. It made me feel completely weird and sick. I know it's only been a week but it's still frustrating when you work do hard to eat well and be active and nothing happens for your body in return
  • Quote: Yeah I should make another appointment for it. They put me on 100mg synthroid and I feel that way too much. It made me feel completely weird and sick. I know it's only been a week but it's still frustrating when you work do hard to eat well and be active and nothing happens for your body in return
    Woah. That does sound like WAY to much if you were just a little off. Ask to start on a much lower dose and you will hopefully be ok. Being put on that much is probably what made you sick becuase it skewed your numbers in the other direction.

@Joss: Allow me to correct myself. Additionally, you may be cutting out TOO many calories for your weight and your body is panicking and your body is slowing your metabolism to preseve the few calories it is getting.
  • What is a good BMR calculator? Some tell me my number is 2100 and others 2500. I will add you on MFP right now also
  • Make sure you're drinking enough water. 64oz a day, at least!
  • I drink a ton of water! My work has a fridge full of water bottles and I'm constantly drinking them. I don't drink juice or soda or coffees anymore usually just water or crystal light. I'm wondering if I'm eating too little calories maybe? My daily average is about 1300.
  • That sounds a bit low. I would up it by a few hundred or so. Try it out for a few weeks; you can always change it.