Gained a pound but havent changed my eating?

• a few weeks ago i started counting calories using My Fitness Pal. I don't work out a lot right now but i have started doing smaller things like using stairs at places, parking further away, try to be more active at home after work. In the few weeks i lost 12 pounds. I haven't changed my eating habbits or had any cheat days but now i gained a pound! I am on my period, but have been for 4 days now. Would it make sense to gain weight this late into my period for that reason? I have hypothyroidism so i don't get my period every month but i thought you gain in the begining of it? I'm so frustrated!
  • You can gain at any time because of water weight, even if your consistently in a caloric deficit. Weight loss is not linear. My weight goes up a pound down a pound up 2 pounds down 3 pounds etc. I always end up lower at the end of the week than I was in the beginning.

Please don't let this freak you out, this is a normal part of the journey!
  • Don't get discouraged! You're probably retaining water!

Here, check this out, it's my weight loss chart from when I was losing. I weighed myself every day:

It's off by 10 pounds because my scale was weighing me in 10lbs heavier, but you get the idea. The overall pattern was down, but from day to day my weight fluctuated up and down!
  • thank you guys for the encourgament! it is just hard when at first you're all excited and seeing pounds drop then it just stops after such a short time. I'm trying to not get discouraged though! it is just very difficult.
  • The good thing is that if you keep hanging in there when the loss slows down, it is sooooo much more appreciated to see the scale move, because you know that it will happen, and that you are doing an awesome thing for your body. Even if it takes a lot longer than you want it to.
  • Last month I lost just before my period (I thought I had cheated the bloat) and gained a few days after. I know it can be a little disheartening but try not to be too disappointed.. it'll come off again
  • i hear ya! i keep telling myself that i must stop weighing every day and night. im currently 0.2 of a lb heavier now than i was this time last night and i got supper peed off. i seem to get stuck at bang on the stone mark, ie 14 stone, 13 stone. its mega annoying cause i want to see the 12's and im stuck at 13 stone. have been for around 5 weeks grrr