Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-07-2012, 12:48 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 187/181/160

Height: 5'2

Default Protruding belly

I'm losing weight and I know I am because my pants are not as tight. However, I feel like my belly is protruding more. I don't know if it's an illusion or what's happening, but that's what it looks like. Have any of you experienced this?

Background: I carry my weight in my bottom half so I notice when my belly is protruding more than usual or not, but usually it's because I had gained weight, not lost it.
GlitterDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:12 PM   #2  

You might be just adding curves...

I've also heard (but never researched) that fat can be behind muscle. I see this in guys a lot. Try taking measurements as well as weight loss.
Charmed7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #3  
~Never Quit~

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/180?

Height: 5'7"

Perhaps it's just bloating from eating healthy, fiber-rich foods?
EatMoreCelery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:28 PM   #4  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Could be a lot of things:

- At the moment you're losing more in the rest of your body than your waist so it sticks out more.
- The density of the fat loss in your waist is less but it's still roughly the same size. Basically it's become jigglier.
- You might have lost more visceral fat (the fat around your organs) then subcutaneous fat (the fat underneath your skin). So the width is smaller but you're still seeing the protrusion.
- Could be the effects of your diet. If you're eating foods that have more volume but less calories your bell has to digest that! Also, like others have said it could be from more fiber-rich foods (like beans, salads, whole grains etc).

Basically, if you're losing weight I wouldn't worry about it too much. I've experienced it too and normally it's just a matter of being at a bit of an "awkward stage" when it comes to your weight loss. Eventually with further loss your stomach will shrink too. Unfortunately we can't pick and choose where those loses come from.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #5  

Thanks guys for your replies. Looks like it's nothing to worry about so I'll just keep doing want I'm doing.

I wish you could pick and choose where you lost weight from lol. Would love to keep my current cup size :P
Old 05-07-2012, 02:01 PM   #6  
ShrinkingPrettyGirl

S/C/G: 290/248/130-ish

Height: 5'5"

I have lost a pants size and the new smaller ones are becoming loose, but I have not gone down in top size. I have a belly and I consider myself an apple shape. I'm not "hippy" and I don't have larger thighs and rear like some. But my belly.....Oh geez! It's not as horrible as I think it is, but that is where my weight is. I lost almost 40lbs about 6 years ago and most of that was lost in my belly and my breasts. I went down a cup size! When I gained back that 40 and another 20, it went to my belly. I have always been a big girl, but before that 60 pound regain, I had had a flat stomach for the most part. I can't wait for my belly to go away!!
ShrinkingPrettyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:29 PM   #7  
Started IP 01/06/2014

Height: 5'7''

When I lost some weight a few years ago (from 210 to 150), my entire body seemed thin except for my arms and my stomach. I got many people congratulating for being pregnant! It was a little depressing to think that I had lost 60 lbs to end up looking pregnant lol. I'd say that your problem will most likely disappear once you reach your ideal weight, which I never did, because your tummy may be the first place you get larger but it may also very well be the last place you lose your fat.

Last edited by Emmcakes; 05-07-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Emmcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:49 PM   #8  
Long Hauling It

S/C/G: 365/208/190

Height: 6' 3"

Where you keep weight is mostly a genetic thing. But most of us have "problem areas" that keep weight on until the very end. Completely normal.
shapedself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:01 PM   #9  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

I've always thought I'm an apple shape. As I've lost weight, I've lost inches around my middle. However, my chest has also shrank and not that I had a great stomach before, but now my chest and stomach are now competing for prominence. This has NEVER been my problem in the past, even at my highest weight. Coming from a 44J to a 34E now, it's definitely more of a problem. That being said, I still definitely look better in clothes than I ever ever did before. I suppose I'm just unused to having a less prominent chest.

What I'm saying is your stomach probably seems like it looks bigger because you're losing weight in other areas. Don't worry, it will catch up eventually!

Last edited by toastedsmoke; 05-07-2012 at 08:03 PM.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:56 PM   #10  

My stomach stores so much fat, it's so frustrating! Other than exercising, I don't think there's much I can do, it's just how my body is shaped. But in your case, I wouldn't worry. As you lose more weight, I'm guessing your belly will start to get slimmer.
Natasha22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:58 AM   #11  

I hope so! I can't wait for the day where I don't have to wear spanx anymore!
Old 05-08-2012, 12:41 PM   #12  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

ive found that doing cardio that uses my core muscles have really helped to shrink my stomach....i like to walk on a high incline on the treadmill (because i messed up my knee running) but anyhow...i walk with my arms bent at an angle and raised, almost like throwing a punch but not quite, and i keep my arms still, not moving, which makes my body twist and use my core for walking instead of swinging my arms for balance...ive had good results so far
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:32 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 213/188/159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed7 View Post
You might be just adding curves...

I've also heard (but never researched) that fat can be behind muscle. I see this in guys a lot.
If there's a protruding belly, I can guarantee you that there's fat in front of the muscle, also, and probably behind it, too.
tricon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:22 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanlaughter View Post
ive found that doing cardio that uses my core muscles have really helped to shrink my stomach....i like to walk on a high incline on the treadmill (because i messed up my knee running) but anyhow...i walk with my arms bent at an angle and raised, almost like throwing a punch but not quite, and i keep my arms still, not moving, which makes my body twist and use my core for walking instead of swinging my arms for balance...ive had good results so far
I'll have to try that!

This week my belly seems less pronounced. I'm also drinking a lot more water now vs. last week so maybe it was water retention combined with fat?