Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-02-2012, 10:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

Height: 5'8"

Default Why in the world do I feel guilty?

I totally didn't want to get up and exercise this morning, but I got myself up and into the gym. I didn't feel like trying to run today, so I decided to mix things up and do a variety of exercises. I started on this glider thing that simulates rollerblading. I didn't really get my heart rate up like I used to be able to do on this machine, but I was also content to do a moderate 20 minutes.

Next, I did 20 minutes on an elliptical - reasonably challenging workout, but not the toughest I have done. Then 20 minutes of moderate activity on a treadmill - incline walking; again not the most challenging thing I have ever done. Finally, I finished with 20 minutes on another kind of elliptical, at a resistance about half of what I normally do. So a long workout but not terribly challenging.

I should be proud that I got up when I didn't want to and knocked out the exercise. And I typically do very challenging workouts, so I should feel ok with one reasonably easy day. I have worked out three days in a row, so it should be a good thing to have an easy workout.

So why do I feel guilty??? Why do I feel like I cheated? Why do I feel bad that I could have done much more? I think it's pretty sad that I'm disappointed in myself even when I exercised and ate properly all day.

Should I feel guilty?
KittyKatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:35 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Your "easy day" would be a super-challenging workout day for me! Today I went for a 40-minute wog (alternating jogging and walking), which is exactly my speed. I know from experience that if I set my exercise goals too high I end up losing motivation.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 162/129/120

Height: 5'6''... and a half

Sometimes I feel this way too. But I know also that I can't always work out in "extreme mode" and as long as I'm still moving I'm doing my body good! It's also good to try out some new machines to activate different muscles, so you may have ended up working out harder than you think
EricAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:42 PM   #4  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Are you a perfectionist? Or, maybe just very critical of yourself? I can relate. When I was putting on weight, I didn't judge myself that much but when I started working out, I started to notice all the flaws. I think sometimes we put ourselves under a microscope and expect so much of ourselves.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:13 PM   #5  

I am a perfectionist AND self critical. I tell myself to not punish myself but it is hard for e not to find flaws. I don't forgive myself for anything. I need to focus on the positive and be kinder to myself but it is hard to re-program a lifetime of finding fault in myself...
Old 05-03-2012, 01:12 AM   #6  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Are you dehydrated? I'm on day 9 of high sweat exercises (Bikram yoga and running/ weight training) and my performance really dips when I get dehyrdrated.

But you did an hour and 20 minutes of exercise. That's a fair bit. You shouldn't feel bad AT ALL.

Anyway, I'm off to get some water - I have a bikram sessions at 10 with a teacher who takes no prisoners!
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:34 AM   #7  

I play these mind games with myself too, but am learning to listen to my body and when it needs a break, that is what I am trying to give it.
For instance, yesterday I was dogging it but I was supposed to do HIIT after lifting weights (in my head I was supposed to). I was just super tired and counted my walk as my cardio instead. Today, I feel more invigorated and will go kill that HIIT workout, and I am actually looking forward to it.
Listen to your body, it knows what you need. Don't feel guilty, feel proud you did something.
Another thing I have learned is that my body can be stubborn if I push it too hard and too long. I see better results when I work out moderately or lightly and then intersperse intense workouts here and there. If all I do is intense workouts, I don't lose as easily.
Good luck!
jomatho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:22 AM   #8  

Height: 5'2"

okay, so you didn't kill yourself and you weren't sweating bullets or anything. but, you still got up and went to the gym when a lot of people would just stay home. you should be proud because any amount of exercise is better than none!
valalltogether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:31 AM   #9  
Incredible Shrinkin Woman

S/C/G: 270/234/155

Height: 5'11"

I spent all last week and part of this week feeling guilty, I must of had a blue sheen over me! I was unmotivated, but I still went to the gym 3 times a week and had 45-60 minute workouts. I still made healthy choices, though I didnt make AS good of choices from when I first started and I have seen very very little results And I blame myself, but not only do I blame myself I loathe myself BUT I STILL WORK OUT and I havent gone over my calorie goal so WTF is wrong with me?!

I have no answer to this, but I feel ya. I think its because we expect so much of ourselves, more than we can emotionally give sometimes. And we remember when we were incredibly rigorous and that rigor has hibernated and left us with a kind of void and sluggish feeling. Im still trying to break out of my blues cocoon. I went to the gym yesterday, I go again today, and then tomorrow, and the next day, and on top of that I have all of my rehearsals and school and work. So I know I burn more calories than I list, but my results arent inspiring so I grow restless and disappointed in myself.
UnderTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:51 AM   #10  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

You don't mention your food choices in your op. This guilt you feel...can it have anything to do with your diet, or is it all about excercise?

Just remember that excercise is only a small part of weightloss. Sure it tones you up some, and makes a person feel good afterwards, but really, it takes a whole lotta vigorous working out to add up to a candy bar. Your caloric intake should always be on the front burner, exercise is more like the side dish.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:57 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

Height: 5'6"

I feel this way too when I don't push myself. I think it's because I spent so many years letting myself get away with it. It's a slippery slope and I think I'm afraid of falling off the wagon.

I normally run 3 days a week, and my knee has been bugging me a bit so I decided to do yoga on Tuesday instead. I think because it was an intentional replacement for a real reason, I didn't get the guilty feeling. But when I plan to run and I end up walking most of it, that's when the guilt creeps in. Like I'm cheating.

Anyway - you're not alone!
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:01 PM   #12  

My food choices have been fine. In fact, I have struggled to eat up to my calorie limit. I don't eat enough during the day because I never have the time at work, and I end up eating too late.

Today was a bit different because a friend took me to lunch for an early birthday celebration. I don't think I ate badly; it was steamed rice noodles, grilled chicken and steamed veggies in a Thai broth. But again, I feel guilty because I dont have an exact calorie count and the bowl was pretty full. But I am trying to listen to my body, and since I was starving by about 4:00, I ate a Kashi bar and have eaten a healthy dinner.

I just have to stop these guilt trips. I am exercising (today was my weights only day, which I did), eating healthy and feeling stronger and healthier than I have in a long time. Time to enjoy life.