Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-03-2012, 02:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 221/177/150

Height: 5'6"

Default I really don't feel like working out

I'm having a hard time working out Once I actually do it it's not so bad but the hardest part is getting up and getiing started. How do you push past this and just do it? I keep rationalizing with myself why it would be okay to take a day off (I haven't worked out consistantly in 3 weeks) I just want all the motivation I had at 215!
Rose426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 357/see ticker/235

Height: 5' 10"

I am in the same boat as you. I feel good after exercise but I always find something else to do.
I joined the May Exercise Challenge to hopefully make me accountable to myself to get off my duff. Maybe that might help you. The checking in and words of encouragement go a long way with me.
Sally Pineapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:57 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW210/CW189/GW115

Height: 5ft

It takes a lot for me to exercise at home by myself. It usually just doesn't happen. So I joined a gym... and wasn't going either, lol. The problem was that they didn't really have many classes. I joined the Y instead and the one I go to literally has classes all day long so even though I'm busy I manage to find time to go when it is convenient for me and I feel motivated as opposed to having to go at a particular time because that's when there's a class.

Basically you have to do something you ENJOY or you're not going to do it. I love going to classes because I feed of other people's energy and I also don't want to look like I can't keep up so I push myself hard. You need to find what you like to do and then it won't suck so much.
luckyme0510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #4  
Started IP 01/06/2014

Height: 5'7''

Well, the first part is to be honest with yourself. If you haven't work out consistently in 3 weeks and you know it, then you know you are essentially lying to yourself when you say that it's okay to take a day off. It is true that a day off doesn't harm anything, but it's easier to make a decision when you look at your behaviour pattern. Maybe you could log your exercise to see your pattern and refute your own arguments.

Secondly, you should do something that you love. In my experience, it takes a while until you can really love your workout. Ive been working out consistently for 4 months now, but it wasn't until about one month ago that I started needing to work out to feel good about myself and to actually enjoy the workout itself. So my advice is to choose a workout and stick to it long enough to get past the fact that it is uncomfortable and to really get into an active mindset.

If in doubt, just remember that you won't regret working out. If you don't do it and you're anything like me, you might actually feel guilty. That's so not worth it for the amount of time that working out takes out of your schedule.

Last edited by Emmcakes; 05-03-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Emmcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:42 PM   #5  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

For me, I had to cut the excuses and just do it. I tell myself that I'm not doing myself any favors by excusing myself from a workout just because I don't feel like it; in fact I'm working AGAINST myself when I do that. I also tell myself that 60 minutes will go by either way, and I'd rather be done with my workout at the end of that 60 minutes instead of regretting not getting it in.

I'm really into quotes, and I ran across one yesterday that said "Tired of starting over? Stop quitting."

Motivation comes and goes. Persistence and commitment are what gets you through in between the spurts of motivation.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:01 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Someone on this board has said: "You don't need motivation, just commitment." I find the quote very helpful on the (frequent) days I don't feel like working out.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:06 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 24W/10-12/10-12

Height: 5', 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancemomma View Post
Someone on this board has said: "You don't need motivation, just commitment." I find the quote very helpful on the (frequent) days I don't feel like working out.

F.
Absolutely Agree!!!! I so didn't want to exercise today, but I did. I booed the DVD but I did it When I don't feel motivated, I remember my commitment. My commitment is to exercise 6 days a week when possible- whether I feel like it or not When my motivation starts to get the best of me, I switch things up or I allow myself a "light" day. On light days, I exercise but may not do my hardest DVD. I have a few that are just fun. It may not be the most challenging but some exercise is better than none. That way, I keep my commitment while my motivation heals
free1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:18 PM   #8  

Height: 5'4

One thing that always helps me is;

"I really regret that workout" - No one. Ever.

You'll feel better after you go!
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:41 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 160/149/140

In my experience, you cannot wait to be motivated. You must start exercising and the motivation will follow. Once I realized this, exercising became easier. I just needed to get started! Good luck.
Cindy_Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:27 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 221/177/150

Thanks for the encouraging words! I just got up and did it and now I feel awesome
Rose426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:45 PM   #11  

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5'1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose426 View Post
Thanks for the encouraging words! I just got up and did it and now I feel awesome
Yay! Go you!
RainbowWimsii87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:55 PM   #12  

I have the exact same problem, I'm trying to make it part of my daily routine so it becomes something automatic, where I just do it without even considering the alternative. It would help if you had a friend to workout with or if you go to a gym where people are really welcoming and friendly.
Natasha22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:38 PM   #13  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Is there a non-weight loss fitness goal you'd like to achieve? That could help you.

BTW - I have said "i really regret that workout"- the one where I pushed myself despite the pain and ended up with a torn calf muscle. Which meant basically no workouts for six months. Yep. I really regret that work out. Still do. I'm much more careful now, more educated and doing more effective workouts!
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:35 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 228/150

Height: 5'7"

Ha! I love that JossFit.
"I really regret that workout" - No one. Ever.

LOL. It is making me laugh. As someone who just had her butt handed to her by a trainer, I can say - no regrets.
debigulating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:49 AM   #15  
God answers prayers!

S/C/G: 188/164/135

Height: 5'4

I have been the same way lately....I have had to make myself exercise.... I just don't feel like it....
cbressler1976 is offline   Reply With Quote