Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-03-2012, 12:07 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimsyborogoves View Post
Just a curiosity question, for those of you that weigh every day, how do you record your weight for weight loss? Do you just pick the lowest weight of the week, or do you have a set day for recording the weight?
I record my weight on only Wednesday but generally weigh myself every morning.

For the OP, without fail for me, its a 2lb difference between morning weight and evening weight.
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:12 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 257/257/157

I've been weighing myself at night and in the mornings lately since I've gotten used to the daily fluctations (for the most part!) and like to see where I'm at. Sometimes I skip a day or two, depending on how I'm feeling, but I weigh myself twice most days. My weight is anywhere from 2-5 pounds more at night!
My official weigh in day is Saturday, so that is the only weight I document.
PinkLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:32 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 256/151.8/147

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Just a curiosity question, for those of you that weigh every day, how do you record your weight for weight loss? Do you just pick the lowest weight of the week, or do you have a set day for recording the weight?
I keep A VERY detailed food journal that records EVERYTHING. The date, my daily weight, then calories, fat, sugar, and carbs. Sometimes it can be really tedious and annoying--but it works. If my weight goes up I can find the EXACT cause
MOLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

I weigh myself at least twice a week, but these days it's been every day. I also see a 1.5 to 2 lb drop between bedtime and the next morning. I seem to be a bit of a medical curiosity in that I experience no TOM-related weight fluctuations whatsoever. I've also never had PMS and have no perimenopausal symptoms at 55, so there must be a disconnect between my hormones and my brain.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #20  
Skinny chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOLE View Post
I keep A VERY detailed food journal that records EVERYTHING. The date, my daily weight, then calories, fat, sugar, and carbs. Sometimes it can be really tedious and annoying--but it works. If my weight goes up I can find the EXACT cause

Ditto.
I weigh and record daily.
It's working great for me.
NCchickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #21  
Don't turn back.

S/C/G: 262/(ticker)/153

Height: 5'6"

I change my ticker pretty much whenever my weight changes, but less when it goes up, which is why it's lower than it should be now. I might switch to changing it to my lowest weight of the week, but that feels less honest door some unknowable reason.
I agree that people are different. I would be wayyy more freaked out if I just weighed once A week and didn't see a loss or saw a gain than I am seeing daily fluctuations. I would have no idea where i went wrong, whether it was normal fluctuation, bloat, related to one bad day, or if what I'm doing plain isn't working and it would be crazy. I would almost certainly go off plan having to wait a whole nother week to weigh again.
munchievictim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:53 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 345/see tracker/200

Like a lot of you-I weigh myself at least twice a day. At first, the fluctuations bothered me but than believe or not I became fascinated by them. As someone else said-it was interesting to see how my body weight fluctuated throughout the day and the reasons why (water retention from too much sodium that day or sore muscles from working out, etc.). I definitely think you have to figure out what works for you-twice a day, once a week or whatever I think its whatever makes you feel comfortable.
NYFLAgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:41 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

I weighed almost every morning while I was losing. After the potty, bedore breakfast, naked. And only Wednesday's weight counted as my weekly check in. I recorded every Wednesday on my spreadsheet. Now I weigh every few days and if the scale goes up more than 2 pounds, I get back in "diet mode" for a few days until it goes back down. The worst gain was 5 pounds over a vacation. But, my DD who is thin also gained, so I figured that's just how it goes sometimes!

I am WAY past TOM, so I don't have the fluctuations associated with it. I'd probably do what Berry said, though, and record and be aware of what happens. I agree wholeheartedly with her approach. But as it's already been said, we have to do what works for us.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:43 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 308/307/198

Height: 5'2"

I do this too. Went to bed last night at 278 something and woke up 277.8. The morning before I was at least two pounds heavier, so that's something.
Amy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:53 PM   #25  
Natural Diet Queen

S/C/G: 58/52/48

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by caramelkitty View Post
hazyl most of the people that i know do the same thing and only weigh once a week, I personally, can't do it.

If I work hard all week and dont see any result at the end of the week I'll freak out and be tempted to quit. I'd rather know daily why it's not doing anything or why it's not going down, or if it goes up because of a binge or a high sodium meal.

But hey, everyone has to find their own way. My friend HATES daily fluctuations, she'll text me and freak out hahahaha
yeah.. totally agree with you If you are fine with the fluctuations why not weigh yourself when you want to see your result.
hazyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:37 PM   #26  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

For as long as I can remember the common wisdom has been "weigh only once a week, because you'll get discouraged and give up otherwise," but to my knowledge the advice was not based on factual data, just opinion.

Still, I felt I was "doing it wrong" if I weighed more than once a week, because that's what everyone said was the "right way" to do it.

Then a few years ago a study came out that reviewed the data from many previous weight loss studies and found the people who lost the most weight, were those who weighed most frequently (I believe daily was the most frequent measured, so someone who weighs three times a day may or may not lose more weight than someone who weighs once a day).

The study results completely flew in the face of common wisdom. If it had merely been a review of one weight loss study, it might have been a fluke, but the research followed the results of multiple studies. So daily weighing, may actually be the wiser choice for the average person.

I do think that if you're going to weigh daily, you need to understand the strengths and weaknesses of daily weighing. You don't really have to worry about being "discouraged" - you can only be discouraged if you choose to be. It may not feel like a choice, but it is. If you expect a loss every time you get on the scale, of course you're going to be discouraged - but if you're prepared for fluctuations you're not going to be discouraged when you see them - you're going to know (or learn) not to expect a loss every time you step on the scale.

For me that meant choosing to celebrate "not gaining" with th same level of enthusiasm I used to reserve only for losing.

I do like celebrating losing too, which is one of the reasons I do weigh last thing at night and in the morning - to see that two pound loss. I know it's not a "real" loss, but it's still fun to see.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:48 AM   #27  

Height: I'm really short!

Quote:
Originally Posted by linJber View Post
I weighed almost every morning while I was losing. After the potty, bedore breakfast, naked.
Me too ! especially after potty
Jan2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:09 AM   #28  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I weigh myself every time I go to the bathroom, and write the numbers on a calendar on the back of the door. It helps me be OK with any fluctuations. Plus, I'm just weird like that, and I think it's fun .

Also, weighing weekly would totally derail me.

I can have a bad bloat put 5 lbs of water on overnight. If I weighed the next morning it'd look like I had gained, but by afternoon the water is gone and I'd see a loss. So for me, weighing more often is more encouraging! Weekly, I Might miss the low number!

Last edited by ValRock; 05-04-2012 at 03:11 AM.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:08 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

i weigh pretty much every morning after using they potty naked. And if i happen to use the potty again before i get dressed and eat breakfast i weigh again. I also weigh whenever the mood to weigh hits.

In terms of tracking, i dont really track weekly or anything, i only update my stats on my tracker and myfitnesspal when i see a new low. I'll only move it up if i KNOW i did something to truely gain like fall off the wagon for an extended period, otherwise i usually know what i did to see a bump and can guesstimate how long til i get over the bump so i know it just may be that much longer til i see a new low
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #30  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Quote:
I record my weight daily on a calendar. Then at the end of the week, I circle the lowest weight, and that's what I take to be my "true weight."
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote