Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-30-2012, 10:05 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 228/150

Height: 5'7"

Default "It could be worse"

Here's a little revelation I had today while leaving the gym. My trainer asked me how my eating was going and I simply responded, "well, it's not perfect. But it could be worse." I didn't really think about my answer until afterwards, when it struck me as familiar... and I realized it was the same thing I pulled when I go to the dentist and they ask how often I floss. "Well, not every day, but it could be worse." And I sit there and hope they don't see through me because I KNOW how often I floss (used to be the seasons could change without me picking up a box of floss). And I'm doing it now with food, too.

I'm not losing weight, despite hard work at the gym. I'm not here to pitch a fit about it, either, because I know what the problem is - that "could be worse" eating. Well you know what the flip side of "it could be worse" is - IT COULD BE BETTER. It could be better.

Apparently I've settled for some kind of status-quo, eating habits that keep me where I am. As long as I'm not gaining, I guess. But This thinking led me to regain the 30lb I had lost. Well, I'm no longer in the 180s, but the 190s aren't so bad - could be worse! Ooops, there goes the 190s, I'm just over 200, but hey, could be worse! And so forth. Well dangit, that kind of thinking just doesn't cut it!

I am irritated at myself for hanging on to that excuse for so long and not really realizing it for what it is until now. It's insidious. I expect greater things of myself than status quo. Yet what I constantly tell the world and myself is "I'm ok where I am, here in the middle."

Has anyone else noticed thought patterns like this, that are subtle underminings of your work? Things that will get in your brain and convince you it's ok to relax and let your guard down?

From here on, my goal is no longer to tell myself "it could be worse," but to ask myself - "can it be better?"
debigulating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:42 AM   #2  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I love that "Could it be better?" I'm going to use that!

And yes I definitely do that. I've been trying really hard not to make any excuses/rationalizations/justifications for myself. But that's how I got so overweight, and it is a hard habit to break! I have to put a lot of effort into it everyday. I think coming to the realization that you do it is a huge step towards fixing it!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:24 PM   #3  
I'm doing this!

S/C/G: 220/ ticker /140

Height: 5'3"

You've got an awesome outlook now, be proud of your new revelation
alitorry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #4  
WC

S/C/G: sz 14-16/sz 10/sz 10 now sz 8

Height: 5'7"

I completely agree with you - my workouts are amazing, but things feel like they have stopped for me...and I'm sure it's my eating. I usually track cals. but I don't think I'm as accurate as I could be, and if I pig out, I just quit tracking for the day - your post def. helped me realize I need to get back to food part of this process so thanks b/c could it be better? YEP!
lm3898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:43 PM   #5  

That way of thinking is completely understandable! I've done it for many years and up and down the scale. I finally decided that excuses are only promoting failure and defeat. I like what you said, "It could be better!" and it will!

Best wishes on your weight loss.
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:43 PM   #6  

I love your attitude! May I borrow it? I feel like it applies to most situations where you're just drifting in a comforting sea, instead of swimming towards a goal, not just when it comes to weight loss.
Natasha22 is offline   Reply With Quote