3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   I don't get this! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/257755-i-dont-get.html)

want2bskine 04-26-2012 09:41 AM

I don't get this!

I posted a few days ago about being stuck at 158 for the past 3 weeks or so. Well it was TOM, and I just stopped, so this morning when I weighed myself it was 154.6! How in the world can I lose 3.5 lbs in a few days? It's to good to be true! lol

Elliemar 04-26-2012 09:45 AM

Easy - I do it all the time around TOTM - it's water weight and will just drop off when it wants to. That's why you shouldn't weigh yourself every day as your weight will fluctuate throughout the week. :)

Only Me 04-26-2012 09:49 AM

The exact same thing happened to me earlier this week. Longish pause at 140-141 and then suddenly 137. Today's my third day at 137, so I'm guessing that I was holding on to some water weight that was masking my weight loss. After TOM, my body finally let go of the extra water weight, showing the weight loss that had been happening all along.

want2bskine 04-26-2012 09:57 AM

Wow, that is just awesome. I thought I would be maybe a pound less, but not 3 and a half. Yay!
So this would be my true weight then? Since I just stopped?

JohnP 04-26-2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by want2bskine (Post 4309045)
Wow, that is just awesome. I thought I would be maybe a pound less, but not 3 and a half. Yay!
So this would be my true weight then? Since I just stopped?

Think about what you're asking. Is this your true weight? Of course it is. Tomorrow your true weight might be a lb higher. Your "true weight" is whatever you weigh the exact moment you step on the scale.

Having said that there is a difference between weight loss, and fat loss.

You didn't lose 3.5 lbs of fat in a day. You were losing fat and it was being masked by water weight. The scale cannot tell you how much fat you lost or gained. It can only tell you how much you weigh. That is why pictures and measurements are more accurate indicators of fat loss than the scale.

want2bskine 04-26-2012 04:39 PM

lol, I know I didn't lose 3.5 pounds of fat in a day, just didn't think I was holding on to that much water weight. All of the work I have been doing, then bam...weight dropped. It's great!

JohnP 04-26-2012 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by want2bskine (Post 4309699)
lol, I know I didn't lose 3.5 pounds of fat in a day, just didn't think I was holding on to that much water weight. All of the work I have been doing, then bam...weight dropped. It's great!

Understood. Just remember this when you've been diligently following your plan for two weeks and the scale doesn't budge. Fat loss matters, not weight loss. Understanding the difference will make your life much easier.

lin43 04-26-2012 06:48 PM

I always weigh less a few days to a week after my TOM ends (just as I always weigh a bit more the week before). Sometimes I feel that the most "normal" (read: unaffected by water retention or loss) weight is the one that occurs during the two weeks between before/after TOM.