Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 186/178/140

Height: 5'6"

Default I eat too little! Advice?

I have been so very confused by something. I eat salads, organic yummies, and snack on fruits and nuts. I recently cut out white flour and cheese from my diet. I exercise regularly but not to excess. I've gotten my thyroid mostly under control. And still, no weight loss. I'm doing everything right, objectively...

Then I learned that the fact that I only eat 800-1000 calories in a day typically could be the culprit. I am almost obese by BMI, and I know that's wrong for a lot of people but for me it's a pretty good representation. I eat until I'm full, I just have a really low appetite.

So now I'm trying to increase my caloric intake to 1200-1500 a day. It's REALLY hard, the hardest thing I've done so far in trying to lose weight. But apparently I have to eat and gain a few to get my metabolism to work properly again. I'm on day 2 of this and I don't feel terrible, but I don't feel great. I have enough extra energy to work out, but after each meal I feel like Jabba the Hut.

Has anyone else been through this? Any tips on how I can make myself eat more without living in a food coma until I adjust?
tyedyegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:54 PM   #2  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Easy. Make some cocoa crack.

Cocoa “Crack”

¼ c (4T) coconut oil
2T cocoa
2T vanilla protein powder
2t xylitol or erythritol or Splenda to taste
1t vanilla extract
pinch salt
¼ c unsweetened coconut
¼ c finely chopped macadamia nuts, walnuts, pecans

Melt coconut oil in microwave safe container (I use a 2c glass pirex measuring cup). Add powdered sweetener to 1 T of water, cream or liquid sweetener/sugar free syrup and stir until dissolved. Add other ingredients to coconut oil and stir until combined. Pour or spoon into candy molds or in a flat pan with sides and put in freezer until set. The protein powder, coconut flakes, and nuts can all be omitted or changed. You can sub in ¼ c almond or peanut butter, chopped dried fruit, almond flour, different flavors of protein powder, more or less coconut, chopped dark chocolate, etc. You can also experiment with sweeteners to find the best combo and level of sweetness for your tastes. Obviously you can increase the amounts to double or triple the recipe, as well.

It's a delicious treat and very nutrient-dense for adding fat, but not savory. It is around 170 calories for a 1/4 recipe, more if you add in the nuts.

In general, eat your fruits and veggies with butter and cream. You can add up calories quite quickly that way, I promise

Last edited by Arctic Mama; 04-24-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:03 PM   #3  
The 'x3' is a heart! :)

S/C/G: 250/low 200's/165

Height: 5'6

I had the same problem until I started eating avocado regularly as well as more beans and quinoa. These really boost my calories and healthy fats for the day and don't make me feel like Jabba the Hut. I like that haha...

Also, coconut oil is great like Arctic Mama said
mirax3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #4  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

You can read a lot of things on the internet. Many of them are not accurate.

For example - eating too few calories is not why you haven't lost weight. It is possible that too few calories can slow your metabolism down a bit but studies done on this show that it only slows your BMR and not by much. At your size your BMR might be 1300-1500 calories so if your metabolism is really amazing and slowing down you might be slowing it down by 150-200 calories at most.

The fact that you're not complaining of feeling lethargic and you're exercising regularly tells me that something is up. It could be:

You're wrong on your caloric intake.

You're retaining a lot of water and due for a "woosh"

You're on some cocktail of medication that is really screwing things up.

Your body is creating energy from air and water.

My guess is that you're not creating energy from nothing so if you're not on a lot of prescription drugs you're either off on your calories eaten or you're retaining a lot of water.

I'd make sure your intake numbers are right and not worry about it. Weight loss is coming.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:12 PM   #5  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I think you get the 'Blunt Sarcasm' award for today, John

He's correct, though, that if you've been doing this for awhile something is off and it is likely your calorie calculations or you're in for a big drop (and and subsequent uptick in hunger once that happens). If you're not hungry and getting enough nutrients don't eat for fear of a metabolic issue. If you are finding yourself falling short on something or feeling bad, may I reiterate my advice of more fat than less being a good idea?
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:23 PM   #6  
Embracing the suck

Sorry I wasn't trying to be sarcastic nor sardonic. Just trying to provide information and logical conclusions to what is certainly a confusing issue.

Tyedye - another possibility is some basic recomp is happening. Have you been exercising for a long time or were you mostly sedentary previously? If you're new to exercise the body increases glycogen stores and can quickly add a little muscle which can mask fat loss for a short period. This is why photos and measurements are much better indicators of progress than simply relying on the scale.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:36 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 186/178/140

Height: 5'6"

I've been working out continuously for a year and a half and have not given up. I'm not on any medications other than kelp for my thyroid. I'm weighing and measuring food so I'm pretty sure my caloric intake is at least not hundreds off. I've been at the spot I'm at right now with the same dietary habits and exercise for six months, minus recovery time from having my appendix out, when I ate the same.

I'm willing to try just about anything. Just not "diet" pills.
tyedyegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:06 PM   #8  
J.b007

S/C/G: 224/156/135

Height: 5ft 9inches

Hi, I use a a protein shake as a meal replacement and my shake mixes well with egg whites so I make pancakes, cakes e.t.c The shakes can be made into different types of shakes. I drink a peanut butter, bannana this morning. If you are interested i can send you the info on it
Julesbond007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:54 PM   #9  
Natural Diet Queen

S/C/G: 58/52/48

Height: 5'3

I would suggest you to eat healthy (fuel your body with proper nutrition.. don't starve) and drink alot of water (2 - 3 liters). Not to forget to exercise. If you follow the basic of the diet rules, I'm sure you can lose weight slowly, and happily
hazyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:15 PM   #10  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Since you're not on thyroid meds, could it be that your thyroid isn't under control enough to where you can lose weight? Have you had it checked? I think it's great that you're doing it naturally (I've heard it helps to use Lugol's Iodine) but maybe that's the reason? Just a thought. I sure do hope you figure this out because you deserve a woosh for all your efforts!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:21 PM   #11  
too big to fail

If you are really eating 1000 calories per day, exercising, and not losing weight for 6+ months then something is wrong and you need to go to the doctor. If you eat fewer calories than you are burning you will lose weight. If the opposite were true there would be no such thing as dying of hunger.

Last edited by Demosthenes; 04-24-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:13 AM   #12  
Embracing the suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demosthenes View Post
If you are really eating 1000 calories per day, exercising, and not losing weight for 6+ months then something is wrong and you need to go to the doctor. If you eat fewer calories than you are burning you will lose weight. If the opposite were true there would be no such thing as dying of hunger.
Agree. Go see a doctor and take your food log. Be prepared for the Dr to not believe you.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:15 AM   #13  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

is OP wants to go to a doctor than she's going to need to up her calories and stop dieting for at least a couple few weeks...........

Bein in a long term deficit ( assuming OP realy WAS in a deficit) will result in skewed "thyroid" test results, and come back with questionable hormone levels, which may not acually be the case.
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote