3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   i need to stop cheating! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/257624-i-need-stop-cheating.html)

gettingthere315 04-24-2012 03:52 PM

i need to stop cheating!

I've been bouncing back and forth between 185 and 188 for about a month now - I keep cheating a little bit here and there, really slacking off at the gym.. i need to get back into the mindset of conquering this and finally reaching my goal.. any advice for getting back on track? i really want this, I've struggled with weight my whole life.. i just want the extra weight to be gone.. I have about 50 more to go but sometimes i really struggle to find motivation and willpower.

sunshauna 04-24-2012 05:27 PM

Set a smaller goal with a reward at the end. Maybe a massage, pedicure or new blouse? Also, summer's coming.....you still have time to look great in a new swim suit!

mimsyborogoves 04-24-2012 10:07 PM

Dude, I feel your pain. I have been lacking the motivation to work out at all ever since my month-free gym membership ran out. I need to find another place soon so my motivation will come back!

sparklegirl07 04-24-2012 11:20 PM

You should trying adding something new and fun to look forward to with your exercise and food. I was feeling the same way a couple weeks ago, so I ordered myself some adjustable dumbbells. I've been having a lot of fun exploring them and it was a perfect way to get my self back on track with the rest of my exercise too. Same with food - just try switching this up and adding something new and exciting. That should help get you back on track.

Good luck!

Pepino 04-25-2012 12:11 AM

I've read that if you plan 'controlled' cheats you will be less likely to cheat/binge at random. Perhaps give that a try? make sure your planned cheats are set ahead of time though so you don't have an excuse to binge during one.

Veela 04-25-2012 12:24 AM

I really feel like by labeling behaviours as cheating makes them sound wrong and leads to a bad internal dialogue. I personally struggle with this and think it is a big part of why I can't seem to drop this weight. I think you should, as others have suggested, allow yourself rewards but also don't restrict your behaviour to an extreme where it will lead you to feel deprived.

I really stand by the idea of everything in moderation and believe that things can be over done as much as they can be over done. Striving for perfection at all times is not realistic but allowing your self to become complacent can be just as detrimental. A middle ground is currently what I am striving for because I think extremes are what caused me to be in this situation in the first place.

panzees36 04-25-2012 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Veela (Post 4307181)
I really feel like by labeling behaviours as cheating makes them sound wrong and leads to a bad internal dialogue. I personally struggle with this and think it is a big part of why I can't seem to drop this weight. I think you should, as others have suggested, allow yourself rewards but also don't restrict your behaviour to an extreme where it will lead you to feel deprived.

I really stand by the idea of everything in moderation and believe that things can be over done as much as they can be over done. Striving for perfection at all times is not realistic but allowing your self to become complacent can be just as detrimental. A middle ground is currently what I am striving for because I think extremes are what caused me to be in this situation in the first place.

I totally agree with your logic.

lm3898 04-25-2012 08:21 AM

Have you thought about maybe signing up for something so you can train/look forward to it? When I start slacking, I try to sign up for a 5k or an obstacle race or even a weight loss challenege to boost my morale! Just a thought.

mammasita 04-25-2012 08:43 AM

I am SOOOOOOO right there with you. Ive been teetering between 183-185 for like 6 weeks. A little snack here, not doing my workout there.....

My thinking though it is that I'm not gaining weight so that is a definite plus and a step in the right direction. In the past I would have already packed on 15 lbs. I do need to step up my workouts, I know that will get me back to where I would like to be.

toastedsmoke 04-25-2012 10:57 AM

As someone who spent 6months hanging around 180-185, I say there's a bright side to this. You are staying within range. Enough good habits have stuck that you're not on a slippery slope all the way back to your start weight. It's okay. I think it's normal to have a little diet ennui from time to time. This IS a long journey.

Things that have helped me get back on track when I really am not just willing to stay at the weight until I'm feeling like getting back on track:
- Staying on 3FC. Something about reading about other people who are staying so motivated, motivates me.
- Reading weight loss success/ goal stories makes me want to get a move on so I can share my own.
- Making up a meal plan for a week ahead that I tell myself I have to stick to eliminating decision-making and opportunities for impromptu splurges. I try to make it interesting and an opportunity to try new recipes or incorporate splurge (but non-junk) items like lamb or a good cut of steak into my meals so I'm excited about eating them.
- Ordering a new workout DVD or piece of equipment. Makes me feel a little excited about exercise at least for a little bit.

thistoo 04-25-2012 11:11 AM

I find that committing to three days completely on plan is what it takes for me. The first three days are the hardest, but if you make up your mind to do it and give yourself just a three day commitment, on the fourth day it will be easier to keep going.

At least that's my experience. I know how hard it is to get back on track, so I wish you good luck. You really just have to make a commitment to yourself, then come up with a plan and stick with it.

DanieJo 04-25-2012 11:52 AM

I have a friend who got really bad at cheating! She is about your weight, shes lost 50 lbs within the past 5 months. I know the cheating was making her crazy because she would not be losing weight although she was dieting (with a occasional couple cookies here and there) and she did a lot of bouncing. Right now she is taking a short break for about 3 weeks and just maintaining (still exercising) she said she feels so much better just "chilling" for a little bit and being able to eat some of the foods thats shes missed, and just really enjoying a short break from her normal diet eating plan!
Maybe a short break maintaining and just being able to enjoy some different foods for a couple weeks would help? :D

gettingthere315 04-25-2012 02:19 PM

thank you all SO MUCH for the encouragement! It is so true that whenever I lack motivation within myself I can always count on finding it from all of you! 3FC has been the key to my success thus far - i just need to remember that we're all going through the same thing and it really helps to get back on track with support and kind words of encouragement from all of you! hope you're all having a wonderful day :D

hazyl 04-25-2012 09:02 PM

I totally understand your feeling. You can try to look for a peer to go on diet with you so that you both can motivate each other. Sharing weight loss information to people and get some better weight loss tips would help alot too :) All The Best!